Neoadjuvant chemotherapy ?

Options
tjohnson2310
tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Please share your experience with neoadjuvant chemotherapy for IDC and DCIS. Was it helpful in shrinking your tumor?

Comments

• GenieM27
    GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    It Shrunk My Tumor
    I had neoadjuvant chemo and have IDC (HER Neg). My tumor was about 3.8-4CM (per my breast MRI) I also had 2 smaller ones in the same area (lower 7 o'clock). Before my chemo treatment my surgeon examined me he said the tumor was much bigger than the MRI read.

My chemo treatment was 4 treatments of A/C every two weeks followed by 12 weekly taxol treatments. I just finished my treatments April 29 of this year. My surgeon and oncologist have both said my tumor has been dramatically reduced by half the size. If I want I could have a lumpectomy (which wasn't an option before).

Because I had 5 months to think, research and pray I'm going to have double mastectomy, because I currently have two lumps in my other breast which are benign. My breasts have always been lumpy I don't want to have that in the back of mind.

Everyone responds differently to chemo and I've heard that in some people the tumor totally dies or disappears. I pray you find peace in whatever decision you make.

Blessings to you!
    Genie
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    I personally didnt have it,
    I personally didnt have it, but several ladies on these boards have and it has worked quite positively for them. I n most cases their tumors shrunk and in some cases almost disappeared.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options
    natly15 said:

I personally didnt have it, but several ladies on these boards have and it has worked quite positively for them. I n most cases their tumors shrunk and in some cases almost disappeared.

worked
    I have 3 chemo cycles pre-surgery and it worked! The mamo showed a tumor, but the MRI showed it to be 8.6 cm!!!!! It was very scarey....but the mri after the 3 cycles of chemo shrank it to almost non-detectable. Had mastectomy 6 days ago........recovering now, then expect to face more chemo cycles, maybe radiation,...won't know till I see oncologist tomorrow I guess.

Keep the faith.............chemo can work! Plus I personally needed the time to get my head and family ready for me to have surgery and be recuperating.........
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    cavediver said:

worked
    I have 3 chemo cycles pre-surgery and it worked! The mamo showed a tumor, but the MRI showed it to be 8.6 cm!!!!! It was very scarey....but the mri after the 3 cycles of chemo shrank it to almost non-detectable. Had mastectomy 6 days ago........recovering now, then expect to face more chemo cycles, maybe radiation,...won't know till I see oncologist tomorrow I guess.

Keep the faith.............chemo can work! Plus I personally needed the time to get my head and family ready for me to have surgery and be recuperating.........

that is great news and
    that is great news and youknow it works on your cancer. can give you some peace of mind.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Helpful!
    I'm IBC so not the same type but surgeon refused to do surgery until after first batch of chemo (A/C) because he said that there was no hope of him getting 'everything' then. Definately did get a lot of shrinkage from the A/C and got good margins which hadn't been there before.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    natly15 said:

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I think some on this board had this. I am sure they will post a reply to you about it.