enlarged lymph node seen in left obturator region on ct scan

Options
izabella
izabella Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I need information on this subject. The results I got on my ct scan on Friday showed I had some left sided obturator lymph nodes in the 10-13 mm size range. I am diagnosed with upsc uterine cancer,since June 2009.Still receiving my consolidation chemotherapy-Taxol. Last week my CA 125 was 11.
Do enlarged lymph nodes in the obturator region mean spreading of cancer or it can be something else? I would appreciate any info. I wish you all good luck and best wishes!thank you Izabel.

Comments

• maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    Options
    enlarged lymph nodes
    izabel,

my ct scan also just showed a slightly enlarged periaortic lymph node (17mm). my last ca 125 was 21, a few points higher than the last, but still supposedly in the normal range. i also have upsc, and was diagnosed the end of may 2009, and was finished with chemo november 2009. i have just been trying to look up benign reasons for an enlarged periaortic node, and couldn't find too much. there are benign reasons, however, for a lymph node to be enlarged. usually, i understand, upsc reoccurs locally, i.e. in somewhat the same areas it showed up originally. my doctor thinks my enlarged node is probably cancer, but we're taking a wait and see attitude. in the meantime, i'm trying as many alternative ways of treating the node, and cancer in general, as i can--diet, exercise, acupuncture, etc. i'll have another ct/pet scan in 3 months. i also see my surgeon next week, and will hear what he has to say about the node, and what he recommends. i know i am not doing chemo at this point. i'm not sure what you mean about consolidation chemo; i've not heard of that. would you mind telling me what that is? also, i'm not sure where the obturator region is. i certainly hope neither of us is having a recurrence, but with this disease it's always possible. wish i could be more helpful. wishing you the best.

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Maybe and maybe not
    A lymph gland can be enlarged for reasons other than cancer. Infections make lymph glands swell. However, it would be wise of course, for your doctor to rule out cancer being the cause. My thinking is that if the cancer is being filtered by our bodies then the lymph gland is one of the lines of defense against it's spread. I am also one of those glass half full kind of people. I think our bodies are always waging war against things that are harmful to us such as cancers. If we build our immune systems then we can help in that battle.

I hope in your case it is something the doctors can treat. Might also be a good idea to look into some things that can boost your immune system. Wouldn't hurt. I like the Anti-cancer Diet book. Claudia and others recommended it. There is a lot of good sound advice in there.
  • MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    norma2 said:

Maybe and maybe not
    A lymph gland can be enlarged for reasons other than cancer. Infections make lymph glands swell. However, it would be wise of course, for your doctor to rule out cancer being the cause. My thinking is that if the cancer is being filtered by our bodies then the lymph gland is one of the lines of defense against it's spread. I am also one of those glass half full kind of people. I think our bodies are always waging war against things that are harmful to us such as cancers. If we build our immune systems then we can help in that battle.

I hope in your case it is something the doctors can treat. Might also be a good idea to look into some things that can boost your immune system. Wouldn't hurt. I like the Anti-cancer Diet book. Claudia and others recommended it. There is a lot of good sound advice in there.

I have my pathology report
    Izabel:

I have my pathology report which states that my gynecologic oncologist removed four left obturator nodes, ranging in size from 0.6 to 1.5 cm. (or 15 mm.), and all were benign. My gyn-onc also said in his operative report that a number of my nodes were enlarged, but all 30 were found by the pathologist to be negative for tumor. For example, my pelvic nodes ranged in size from 0.6 to 1.6 cm.

Based on my experience, therefore, I don't think the size of your obturator nodes necessarily indicates spread of your cancer.

All the best,

MoeKay