You Guys Are Awesome

Options
th7799
th7799 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Greetings From Texas!

I was diagnosed with BC on April 7th and had the bi-lateral with immediate reconstructive on April 30th. So, today I celebrate one month post-op!

My chemo is scheduled to begin on June 10th, and I'll go once every three weeks for six treatments and then finish out the year on Herceptin. Not looking forward to it, but after reading all of the posts from this network of friends/angels I know I can beat this next phase too.

I was planning to do a little wig shopping in the next few days and may decide to delay that after reading some of your thoughts on "going natural"!

Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers and very thankful to have found you all!

Tere

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Tere happy you found us.
    Tere happy you found us. this is a wonderful website for not so wonderful reasons. You will find great support and knowledge here. Welcome to the place none of us ever wished to join.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with you Tere
    It's so nice to read positive posts like yours! I too agree that the ladies on here are angels leading the way for all of us, and like you I am so thrilled I discovered this site.

Just today I found the cutest pink hat at Walmart, it was near the purses. When and if my time comes for hair loss I don't plan on buying any wigs, I'm going to wear the cute hat from the store.

God bless you as you begin this next endeavor.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options

I couldn't agree more with you Tere
    It's so nice to read positive posts like yours! I too agree that the ladies on here are angels leading the way for all of us, and like you I am so thrilled I discovered this site.

Just today I found the cutest pink hat at Walmart, it was near the purses. When and if my time comes for hair loss I don't plan on buying any wigs, I'm going to wear the cute hat from the store.

God bless you as you begin this next endeavor.

Natural Feels Great!
    My hospital gave me a Beautiful wig and it was during the Winter...Colorado, I tried it maybe three times I just could,nt get used to it.
    The scarfs were more comfortable, because my scalp hurt as my hair was falling out, But I can totally understand where women would chose to wear them, exspecially if they had to go to there job, I was to ill so I oppted for the scarfs and cute little hats.
    And when I was at home I wore nothing, and then I would venture out of my house to watch my honey last summer doing yard work, and my neighbors were very awesome, they would stop buy and ask if they could do anything for us, etc....
    My hair was very long, pryor to getting sick, I cut 11 inches off at first untill my honey had to shave it.
    Everyone new that I was ill because of cutting all my hair off, I found it liberating in a way, and I never had to pull my hair out of my necklases...Good luck sweetheart and have a Great day Karie
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Tere
    I'm glad to hear you're thinking you may want to join the "naked," "topless" women on this board! :-)

In all seriousness...every woman who loses her hair should do whatever makes her most comfortable, and if a wig is it, then great. What I hate is the thought that some women go out and spend lots of money on a wig just because they think they "should," or they're "supposed to" wear one.

We have women here who wore hats or scarves, others who wore wigs, and some like me who chose to go "topless"! And some who chose to do all of the above, depending on the day. Do whatever feels right to you, and know that you're beautiful no matter what!

Traci
  • th7799
    th7799 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Tere
    I'm glad to hear you're thinking you may want to join the "naked," "topless" women on this board! :-)

In all seriousness...every woman who loses her hair should do whatever makes her most comfortable, and if a wig is it, then great. What I hate is the thought that some women go out and spend lots of money on a wig just because they think they "should," or they're "supposed to" wear one.

We have women here who wore hats or scarves, others who wore wigs, and some like me who chose to go "topless"! And some who chose to do all of the above, depending on the day. Do whatever feels right to you, and know that you're beautiful no matter what!

Traci

Thank You
    Greetings,

I did forget to mention that I cut my hair off in anticipation of the chemo phase about a week ago. It was a bit traumatic, but I was able to donate it to Locks of Love. I decided it was best to get that part behind me.

The questions and answers on this site have already helped so much. I've ordered the Anticancer book, requested the complimentary scarf, and all kinds of other things.

What a great resource. I've been posting to a journal on caringbridge.org for the past month and it's amazing the support from family and friends who are able to read about my journey there. There are just so many outlets available and I'm so thankful for all of them!!!

Blessings to you all,
    T
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    th7799 said:

Thank You
    Greetings,

I did forget to mention that I cut my hair off in anticipation of the chemo phase about a week ago. It was a bit traumatic, but I was able to donate it to Locks of Love. I decided it was best to get that part behind me.

The questions and answers on this site have already helped so much. I've ordered the Anticancer book, requested the complimentary scarf, and all kinds of other things.

What a great resource. I've been posting to a journal on caringbridge.org for the past month and it's amazing the support from family and friends who are able to read about my journey there. There are just so many outlets available and I'm so thankful for all of them!!!

Blessings to you all,
    T

Welcome, Tere!
    Hi Tere,

We are close with our treatment dates. I had my mastectomy on April 27th, and I should really start my Chemo in June, but I had some complications, so my healing is taking a bit longer than expected, but I'm staying positive and hoping I can get this Chemo started before the end of June!

I actually went shopping for a wig this past week! I don't plan on wearing wigs while I'm at home and running errands. But, for my job, I will feel more comfortable wearing a wig, only because I"m in the public hosting a lot of meetings. THe wigs that are sold now are absolutely beautiful, but they can be very expensive. I see it as a "New" me, the style and color of the wig is something that I probably would not have gone for before BC, but I felt if I had to go through months of treatment to gain my life back, then I was going to take on the battle with a beautiful wig on my head! LOL

Many Blessings to you!
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    th7799 said:

Thank You
    Greetings,

Blessings to you all,
    T

I was right!
    I told you you would be beautiful with or without hair -- and I hadn't even seen your picture yet! Now I see I was right!

Traci
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Glad to be your friend : )
    Glad ur doing well. Congrats on ur 1 month. I'm coming up on 1 yr and it seems to have gone quickly and quietly.
    I had AC and cytoxin for 4 "hits". I lost/shaved my head after 2nd tx. Little weird, but kind of like it short now. Hairs about 4in long. It was down to my waist. Think it hurt my husband more than me. I just went "natural". I have a over heating problem,so I figured a wig would be hot. Lots of bandanas. It's def a personal decision. I hear tha have great wigs out there. What chemo are u going to get? Maybe ur hair won't fall out.
    Good luck with ur treatment and wig hunt. lol Keeping it real positive. Prayers to you,Gayla
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the free wigs....
    Ask your treatment center...I ended up with one that retailed for $250...wore it for 10 minutes, gave it back....I was more of a scarf (had a non-cancer survivor ask me how I tied my head scarves...she thought it was so pretty...) and cap gal.

Don't forget the sunscreen if you 'bare all'! I learned early....HUGE sunburn on my head...then, for weeks, I looked like a molting lizard!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    KathiM said:

Don't forget the free wigs....
    Ask your treatment center...I ended up with one that retailed for $250...wore it for 10 minutes, gave it back....I was more of a scarf (had a non-cancer survivor ask me how I tied my head scarves...she thought it was so pretty...) and cap gal.

Don't forget the sunscreen if you 'bare all'! I learned early....HUGE sunburn on my head...then, for weeks, I looked like a molting lizard!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Good point, Kathi
    Good point about the sun, Kathi -- I went "naked" during chemo, but never, never, NEVER outside.

I figured my little scalp hadn't seen sun since I was an infant, and I wasn't about to risk a sunburn. That was when I wore all my hats or headwraps, whenever I was outside for more than 2 minutes. I always carried one in my bag, to put on when I was walking to/from the bus stop, my lunchtime walks, at the farmer's market, etc.

Traci
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Tere happy you found us.
    Tere happy you found us. this is a wonderful website for not so wonderful reasons. You will find great support and knowledge here. Welcome to the place none of us ever wished to join.

Welcome Tere. I am glad you
    Welcome Tere. I am glad you found us, though, sorry for the reason. Someone is always on to help answer your questions or just to let you vent. Good luck to you!