Please forgive me if my questions are dumb

Options
2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
But I have another one, maybe two, who knows just yet, anyway can someone please explain to me all about the MRI. I have been told you lay on your stomach, I am a good 40 pounds overweight, I suffer from asthma, laying on my stomach is not an easy thing for me as far as breathing. What can I expect? My MRI is this coming Tuesday.

Thank you, Ronda

Comments

  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Wasn't on my stomach
    I didn't lay on my stomach for my MRI. the only problem I had was taht I don't have the greatest shoulders and I had to reach up and hold a bar during it. Shoulder's HURT - I will take a 'good' pain pill before the next one. None of my scans have I been on my stomach - MRI, PET, CT, Bone, etc.. I'm 5'6" and was about 175 when first tests (Aug 09) were done now I'm about 130.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options
    You do lay on your stomach
    You do have to lay on your stomach because your breasts will fit into these openings and you have to put your arms over your head and be still for I believe it was 30 minutes or so. It is uncomfortable a bit but you may want to explain your concerns to your doctor before the day of your appt. YOu really do need to find a way to do the MRI....initially I only felt one lump on my breast and they did the ultrasound and biopsy but when they did the MRI after that, they saw a smaller lump deeper also. It was too deep to biopsy and we knew the other lump was cancereous so I decided on a mastectomy. Hang in there and may God bless you with His peace and comfort during this time. Love and hugs.
    Lorrie
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    What kind of MRI?
    Every MRI I have had, I have laid on my back with the exception of the breast MRI last December. You actually do lay on your stomach with your breasts hanging down in these cage-like thingys. I'm a bit on the heavy side too, but my only problem was that my face was supposed to be face down. I am extremely claustrophobic so I worked it out with the technician to have my head turned to the side so I could see out, otherwise I would not have been able to do it.

    Trust me, these people have to work with all sizes of people, and they do try to make you as comfortable as possible.

    Good luck to you. . . let us know how it goes. Heidi
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Yes.......
    Yes, the way Lorrie explained it. On your stomach with breasts through openings in the table.
    I happen to be very claustrophobic....back or stomach, so I took Xanax beforehand. Almost slept through it.
    I have also had an MRI guided biopsy on the other breast, using this same position.

    Talk to your doctor about your concerns. I also foun that the techs who do this will give reassurance and may have solutions as they see people in every shape and every condition.

    CR
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

    What kind of MRI?
    Every MRI I have had, I have laid on my back with the exception of the breast MRI last December. You actually do lay on your stomach with your breasts hanging down in these cage-like thingys. I'm a bit on the heavy side too, but my only problem was that my face was supposed to be face down. I am extremely claustrophobic so I worked it out with the technician to have my head turned to the side so I could see out, otherwise I would not have been able to do it.

    Trust me, these people have to work with all sizes of people, and they do try to make you as comfortable as possible.

    Good luck to you. . . let us know how it goes. Heidi

    Thanks ladies for getting
    Thanks ladies for getting back to me, Heidi I am not sure what kind of MRI, all I know is I'm scheduled to have one, they dx me with ILC and DCIS 2 weeks ago and it's in my right breast and I think they are going to be looking to see if I have anything in my left breast. When I had a mamogram recently there was nothing showing in my left one, I hope that's the case on Tuesday. But my surgeon told me that with this type of cancer it has a tendency to mirror/reflect in the opposite boob, swell. And that could happen immediately or it could be 25 years from now. He already suggested to me that I might want to consider a double mastectomy because of that, I'm scared out of my mind.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    MRI
    Talk to your Dr. and ask to see the facility beforehand, if you can. None of my MRIs were on my stomach. I was lyng on my back for all of them. I was lying down on a table that moved partway through a donut-shaped machine that took pictures like x-rays. No discomfort at all. Maybe there is more than one type of breast MRI machine, or maybe it depends on the type of information they are looking for. Maybe you could see if there are some patients who have had the test done at your facility that you could talk to before your turn comes. Definitely talk to your Dr. about your concerns to see if there is a way they can minimize discomforts for you.

    I hope it goes well, just remember that it is temporary. seof
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options

    Thanks ladies for getting
    Thanks ladies for getting back to me, Heidi I am not sure what kind of MRI, all I know is I'm scheduled to have one, they dx me with ILC and DCIS 2 weeks ago and it's in my right breast and I think they are going to be looking to see if I have anything in my left breast. When I had a mamogram recently there was nothing showing in my left one, I hope that's the case on Tuesday. But my surgeon told me that with this type of cancer it has a tendency to mirror/reflect in the opposite boob, swell. And that could happen immediately or it could be 25 years from now. He already suggested to me that I might want to consider a double mastectomy because of that, I'm scared out of my mind.

    Bi-lateral story for Florida sis
    My mammogram only showed DCIS throughout the right breast. Biopsy showed ILC and LCIS, too. Surgeon highly recommended bi-lateral because of the "mirror" tendency you mention. MRI showed a small "shadow" in left, so surgeon opted to do sentinel node biopsy on left breast, too, during the mastectomies. Nodes were clear, but there turned out to be worse cancer in the left breast. So glad I chose bi-lateral.

    I know you're scared and HORRIFIED. That was the word that kept occurring to me -- horror. My mind could hardly hold the thought. I'm here to tell you it can be survived and with quite a good quality of life. I'm fighting this cancer with everything I and medical science have got. This cancer will not come back on me in the years to come if I can help it.

    The mastectomies were not as painful as I feared. I chose immediate reconstruction with expanders. Not a walk-in-the-park, but doable. Just finished chemo -- again, more doable than I expected. Expander to implant exchange in early July. Yea!

    I love life. I am more than my breasts. I am way, way more than cancer, and so are you!
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    My MRI was on my stomach too
    My MRI was on my stomach too and I am also overweight. First one I had no trouble. The second one after chemo, they had a new machine, and I basically had so much pain they had to remove me quickly and I ended up with bruised ribs. Since then there have been other patients who have experienced this problem, but no one seems to want to tell me what is going wrong with this new MRI machine.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    seof said:

    MRI
    Talk to your Dr. and ask to see the facility beforehand, if you can. None of my MRIs were on my stomach. I was lyng on my back for all of them. I was lying down on a table that moved partway through a donut-shaped machine that took pictures like x-rays. No discomfort at all. Maybe there is more than one type of breast MRI machine, or maybe it depends on the type of information they are looking for. Maybe you could see if there are some patients who have had the test done at your facility that you could talk to before your turn comes. Definitely talk to your Dr. about your concerns to see if there is a way they can minimize discomforts for you.

    I hope it goes well, just remember that it is temporary. seof

    I was on my stomach for the
    I was on my stomach for the breast MRI and the biopsy. I took ativan for the second one. It wasnt fun but I got through Rague you are skinny!
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

    My MRI was on my stomach too
    My MRI was on my stomach too and I am also overweight. First one I had no trouble. The second one after chemo, they had a new machine, and I basically had so much pain they had to remove me quickly and I ended up with bruised ribs. Since then there have been other patients who have experienced this problem, but no one seems to want to tell me what is going wrong with this new MRI machine.

    My breast MRI's have all
    My breast MRI's have all been on my stomach, although I have had other MRI's where I've been on my back. I am overwieght and claustrophobic, and I had a very difficult time with my first breast MRI, three or four years ago. In fact, I told myself that I would never go back again: that resolve lasted for a couple weeks until I needed an MRI-assisted biopsy.

    Since then, the facility that does mine has new equipment which is faster and seems much easier to handle. Also, a big improvement for me was that they have a head support that you are actually face down, but there is nothing over your mouth, eyes or nose. The support is on you forehead and sides of your head, and I can breath very easily and can see the floor. This last time, I almost fell asleep during the test, so you can tell it was a huge improvement over the first time when I couldn't wait to have it done.

    I've also found that the more the technician and radiologist tells me about the procedure, the better it is for me. If they don't explain the procedure and what to expect before the test, I'd ask them to walk me through what I should expect.

    Joyce
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    jk1952 said:

    My breast MRI's have all
    My breast MRI's have all been on my stomach, although I have had other MRI's where I've been on my back. I am overwieght and claustrophobic, and I had a very difficult time with my first breast MRI, three or four years ago. In fact, I told myself that I would never go back again: that resolve lasted for a couple weeks until I needed an MRI-assisted biopsy.

    Since then, the facility that does mine has new equipment which is faster and seems much easier to handle. Also, a big improvement for me was that they have a head support that you are actually face down, but there is nothing over your mouth, eyes or nose. The support is on you forehead and sides of your head, and I can breath very easily and can see the floor. This last time, I almost fell asleep during the test, so you can tell it was a huge improvement over the first time when I couldn't wait to have it done.

    I've also found that the more the technician and radiologist tells me about the procedure, the better it is for me. If they don't explain the procedure and what to expect before the test, I'd ask them to walk me through what I should expect.

    Joyce

    I was on my stomach also.
    It was a bit uncomfortable, however I had a sweet nurse that rubbed my shoulders and lower back and talked me through it and also I took a little bit of ativan and it got me through it, and you can always try to put yourself in a Happy place and say to yourself it will be over soon.
    It's awesome how we can get ourselves through the tough times, God Bless you, and keep your head to the sky.
    Lots of Hugs Karie
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    All are good questions...
    I'm in the simliar boat as you. I just found out last week and I think this is a great question. I am also getting my MRI done on this Tues and didn't even think about how it was done. I'm just in a daze trying to get all of the testing done just so that I can get it out and start treatment. Please don't stop asking questions, because there many that will benefit others...like me.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    There are no dumb questions
    There are no dumb questions here only unasked ones!! I cannot add much here I am also a little overweight and did have the MRI laying on my stomach with breasts hanging down. It was not fun but it was bearable took 20-30 minutes, the worst thing for me was just the being still. I too took a Xanax before. I have tendonitis in my shoulder so that was kind of hard for me the way my arm had to be positioned. I just explained it to the tech and she was very helpful with me to get as comfy as I could! You will do fine God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    MRI
    Sounds like it varies. I laid on stomache, but was elevated from waist up so the " boobies" ( sorry lol) hang. I don't have breathing problems, but it didn't put pressure on my chest. Good luck. Be sure to tell them ur concerns, and they'll try to accomadate you I'm sure.
    Maybe you can check with them before you actually have the MRI. Prayers go with you. gayla
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Balentine said:

    You do lay on your stomach
    You do have to lay on your stomach because your breasts will fit into these openings and you have to put your arms over your head and be still for I believe it was 30 minutes or so. It is uncomfortable a bit but you may want to explain your concerns to your doctor before the day of your appt. YOu really do need to find a way to do the MRI....initially I only felt one lump on my breast and they did the ultrasound and biopsy but when they did the MRI after that, they saw a smaller lump deeper also. It was too deep to biopsy and we knew the other lump was cancereous so I decided on a mastectomy. Hang in there and may God bless you with His peace and comfort during this time. Love and hugs.
    Lorrie

    Balentine explained it very
    Balentine explained it very well. You will do fine!


    And, NO question is ever dumb, never! So, ask all that you want to!