first ct scan six months post treatment

maggie_wilson
maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
dear sisters:

just got my first ct scan with contrast post treatment, and given what horrors i had imagined and how i had been preparing for the worst, it could have been, in fact, a lot worse! i have one slightly enlarged node, which we are keeping an eye on. all else was "perfect." my chemo doctor and i agreed to watch and see for 3 months, and then another ct scan and probably pet scan at that point (my insurance had refused to pay for a pet scan this time around).

i'm going to see my surgeon next week, gyn-onc, who sees me every 3 months as well, and does a fairly complete physical, so i'll know more then. apparently he believes in assays, so it may be that we have a needle biopsy done, in case i do need more chemo.... in the meantime, i am doing everything i know how to do in terms of diet, exercise, acupuncture, etc. , which are changes i've made only in the last two weeks (not that my diet was so bad, only that it was the usual sugar, white flour, dairy, etc. and no exercise to speak of). so maybe, with these changes, i can stave off the node from growing, spreading, etc. i'm cautiously hopeful because it's only one detectable node (of course if there's anything detectable, it usually means there are other not-yet-detectable cancer cells lurking about), before any changes were made. so we'll see.

basically, i agree with those of you who say that moderation, balance, common sense are the keys, and that each of us has to individually determine what that means. ultimately, it's a crap shoot; we do this, we don't do that, and we hope for the best.

l'chaim,

sisterhood,
maggie

Comments

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Maggie happy to hear your news
    I am glad you got such a good report. I am glad the CAT scan was not as bad as you imagined. Hope your gyn/ono gives you good news too, and is comfortable with another 3 months of observation. Sounds like you are making good changes in your treatment plan also. Good luck. I too believe moderation, common sense and balance is the key. It is very hard to give up everything you enjoyed before. I like your new picture, too. In peace and caring.
  • maggie_wilson
    Ro10 said:

Maggie happy to hear your news
    I am glad you got such a good report. I am glad the CAT scan was not as bad as you imagined. Hope your gyn/ono gives you good news too, and is comfortable with another 3 months of observation. Sounds like you are making good changes in your treatment plan also. Good luck. I too believe moderation, common sense and balance is the key. It is very hard to give up everything you enjoyed before. I like your new picture, too. In peace and caring.

thanx, ro

i appreciate your comments. it is hard to give up everything, hence i still drink my decaf, non fat latte in the mornings, and sometimes take a bite of someone's birthday cake. yes, i too am hoping my gyn onc will be ok with the 3 months observation. thanx for your good wishes, glad you like the new photo. i'm not quite happy with the hair yet, so don't be surprised if another photo shows up.....hope you're doing well.
    sisterhood,maggie
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

thanx, ro

i appreciate your comments. it is hard to give up everything, hence i still drink my decaf, non fat latte in the mornings, and sometimes take a bite of someone's birthday cake. yes, i too am hoping my gyn onc will be ok with the 3 months observation. thanx for your good wishes, glad you like the new photo. i'm not quite happy with the hair yet, so don't be surprised if another photo shows up.....hope you're doing well.
    sisterhood,maggie

Maggie
    Your photo looks simply marvelous. You have good color and look happy...what more can you want?

Sounds like you're deciding to wait, which is what I would tend to feel. I've not had a recurrence or issues with scan, but know I'd do anything but the chemo/radiation if can help it. Great choice I think!

In reference to eating and exercise, I've always been the good eater and exercise queen in my family, but still got the cancer. You know so much of this is what we eat. Sugar is horrible for our cancer and just try each day to do something different. For instance try green tea in morning with out the latte type beverage. Before you know it a new habit has formed. What I did by replacing my coffe laced with cream. No-no with the milk products so I just learn to not eat it as often or ever if I can. Just do little changes and it won't be so difficult. I've never been a real big meat eater and that was fairly simple to stop, but yesterday I went to BBQ and had the old sausage and baked beans...wow for me!!

Exercise is good for cancer as cancer doesn't survive as well when we're oxygenated -- so walk outside and breathe deep and force oxygen throughout the body.

I try to remind myself when wanting the ice cream (my downfall) each evening, that cancer can come back...and the alternative is more treatments. That usually stops me from scooping out the ice cream and going for the Greek yogurt with berries and sugar-free granola.

Have you read the Anti-Cancer, A new way of life book? Try it as it has been a rage on this site and finally I broke down and purchased it.....very great insight for us

You're doing great and be kind to yourself as you can't change everything at once....little at a time!

Take care ((((( hugs )))))
    Jan
  • maggie_wilson
    jazzy1 said:

Maggie
    Your photo looks simply marvelous. You have good color and look happy...what more can you want?

Sounds like you're deciding to wait, which is what I would tend to feel. I've not had a recurrence or issues with scan, but know I'd do anything but the chemo/radiation if can help it. Great choice I think!

In reference to eating and exercise, I've always been the good eater and exercise queen in my family, but still got the cancer. You know so much of this is what we eat. Sugar is horrible for our cancer and just try each day to do something different. For instance try green tea in morning with out the latte type beverage. Before you know it a new habit has formed. What I did by replacing my coffe laced with cream. No-no with the milk products so I just learn to not eat it as often or ever if I can. Just do little changes and it won't be so difficult. I've never been a real big meat eater and that was fairly simple to stop, but yesterday I went to BBQ and had the old sausage and baked beans...wow for me!!

Exercise is good for cancer as cancer doesn't survive as well when we're oxygenated -- so walk outside and breathe deep and force oxygen throughout the body.

I try to remind myself when wanting the ice cream (my downfall) each evening, that cancer can come back...and the alternative is more treatments. That usually stops me from scooping out the ice cream and going for the Greek yogurt with berries and sugar-free granola.

Have you read the Anti-Cancer, A new way of life book? Try it as it has been a rage on this site and finally I broke down and purchased it.....very great insight for us

You're doing great and be kind to yourself as you can't change everything at once....little at a time!

Take care ((((( hugs )))))
    Jan

jan

thanx so much for your response. i did get the anti-cancer book and have put it on my bedside table; really finding it helpful. i do believe one step at a time and little steps at that. am doing 1/2 brisk walk a day, which i'm actually getting to enjoy, plus only a bite of something sweet when it's around.

i have been drinking freshly brewed green tea every day, but don't know if i can quite give up the latte yet; probably in time. haven't been eating any red meat, but still eat free range chicken and fish, and lots of veggies and fruit. i'm enjoying eating so well, surprisingly.

i'm looking forward to my visit with my gyn-onc, i know he'll have plenty to say, though i think he might well go along with waiting and seeing for 3 months. my chemo doc said i could even go 6 months, but i decided 3 months was enough. but, i can always prolong it if i want once i'm at the 3 month period. it is, after all, our bodies, and we get to make the final decisions about our treatment. truthfully, often the doctors guess is as good as ours, and often they are guessing since cancer treatment is such a hit and miss proposition. that's what makes decisions so difficult to make; so few real guidelines.

glad you're doing so well; it's inspirational to all of us. keep up the good work, and thanx for your comment re: my new photo. don't be surprised it another pops up soon.

take good care of yourself, jan.

sisterhood,
    maggie