My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer and I am terrified.

Options
ChrisMcG
ChrisMcG Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi my name is Chris and I just turned 18, on May 4th my mom wasn't feeling well and went to the hospital only to find out she has stage IV ovarian cancer. I am absolutely terrified and devastated. She is the strongest and greatest woman I know. Thankfully it hasn't spread to any of her "vital" organs. She had a full hysterectomy about a year and a half ago. The cancer is now located on the outside of her colon. She started chemo this past Thursday, the 27th. My question is, I know they can classify types of cancer stage IV simply because it has moved from it's original location. So could this tumor in reality be a lot smaller and it is just called stage IV because it has moved? I am so scared, I've never faced anything like this before. I'm just hoping that the chemo and surgery can get rid of a lot of it. I know there are a lot of success stories and trust me I have read a lot of them, but looking online everything about stage IV ovarian cancer is so discouraging. Is this not as bad as I think it is? or is it worse? Thanks a lot. -Chris

Comments

• Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Dear Chris
    Welcome to the Board and I am so sorry we have met this way, but there is a lot of hope. My mother was diagnosed with stage III c/stage IV last summer and I thought the world was going to end. I had never been so frightened in my life. I felt all alone and came to this board and found a great deal of hope and support. First of all, I am sure you are in shock. That is sooo normal. None of us ever expected to hear this news. But they have many protocols now for treatment and many are very effective. In order to answer some of your questions, I think there is a bit of info. we would need. Such as, did they do the hysterectomy last year because of this cancer? Was there a reason they didn't remove the ovaries? Also, is your Mom being treated by a gynecological-oncologist? Are they planning on taking the ovaries after treatment? Anyway, I know you are in shock right now, but I assure you, you will get through this and move on to treatment. there are many women on this board who have been "trucking along" with Ovarian cancer for quite awhile. For example, Bonnie for 7 years. Then there;s Nancy and Kayandok, and Suandra, and on and on...there are also quite a few of is who take care of our mothers as well. So please be assured you are not alone and there is hope...I swear..just wait and in a few hours/days you will have many responses and prayers and hugs. Hang in there...
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Stage IV
    Stay calm, Chris. This will take a couple of months to climb out of the SHOCK stage for all of you. Click on my picture and see that I have be with this diagnosis for over 3 years. There are lots of treatments and lots of hope for you. Your mother will have to battle. Chemo is not easy and neither is surgery but with family support and knowledge for the experts from this group, she will become a "Teal Warrior". Hugs to you. Saundra
  • LuvMyMom3
    LuvMyMom3 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi Chris-
    My mom was dx

Hi Chris-

My mom was dx about 2 weeks ago adn had her first chemo a week ago this past Friday- I am here for you since we are newbies- to beat this thing with our moms- I am learning as I go and I know we want to do everything for our moms but there are times she will just want to lay down adn be alone. My dad is a great caregiver for her but they need their kids, too.. so I do what I can- she has had her good days when they said would be her bad days. My mom is very positive too and I hear that kind of attitude is 90% of the outcome- so our moms sound liek they are on the right road. You can send me a private message anytime- hang in there- I have faith they will pull through this.. HUGS-- Michele
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    hearing the "C" word is enough to be terrified, and we have all been there. It just hits you out of the blue! I'm so sorry you have to go through this, it is not fun. Please know that late stage ovarian cancer is not a death sentence and there are a lot of long term survivors out there. Some of the stats online are old, and regardless, I always tell myself, "Someone has to beat those stats, why can't it be me?"

I have an 18-year-old and two 12-year-olds, and they have been a wonderful support to me the last 3 years. (I was dx 3C) The fact that you are on here to get information tells me that you really love your mom and can be a great support to her too. Please come back anytime and ask anything you need to. I know that you will be amazed at the information and support you can get.

Take care,
    Kathleen
  • ChrisMcG
    Options
    Lisa13Q said:

Dear Chris
    Welcome to the Board and I am so sorry we have met this way, but there is a lot of hope. My mother was diagnosed with stage III c/stage IV last summer and I thought the world was going to end. I had never been so frightened in my life. I felt all alone and came to this board and found a great deal of hope and support. First of all, I am sure you are in shock. That is sooo normal. None of us ever expected to hear this news. But they have many protocols now for treatment and many are very effective. In order to answer some of your questions, I think there is a bit of info. we would need. Such as, did they do the hysterectomy last year because of this cancer? Was there a reason they didn't remove the ovaries? Also, is your Mom being treated by a gynecological-oncologist? Are they planning on taking the ovaries after treatment? Anyway, I know you are in shock right now, but I assure you, you will get through this and move on to treatment. there are many women on this board who have been "trucking along" with Ovarian cancer for quite awhile. For example, Bonnie for 7 years. Then there;s Nancy and Kayandok, and Suandra, and on and on...there are also quite a few of is who take care of our mothers as well. So please be assured you are not alone and there is hope...I swear..just wait and in a few hours/days you will have many responses and prayers and hugs. Hang in there...

Thank you!
    Thank you for your quick response it really does help. When they did the hysterectomy they no had no idea about the cancer, not did they after the proicedure was completed. About a year and a half after the procedure she had stomach pains and went to the doctor to find out she had cancer. I believe they did remove the ovaries..but the cancer had moved to the outside of her colon by that point. She is being treated by a gynecological-oncologist. The plan as of now is 3 months of chemo therapy than surgery than more chemo. I feel confident that it hasn't spread to any of her organs. I know cancer can be a death sentence for people in any form, but I feel like once the organs are infected those chances greatly increase. How is mother doing? Thanks for talking, I really appreciate it. -Chris
  • ChrisMcG
    Options
    saundra said:

Stage IV
    Stay calm, Chris. This will take a couple of months to climb out of the SHOCK stage for all of you. Click on my picture and see that I have be with this diagnosis for over 3 years. There are lots of treatments and lots of hope for you. Your mother will have to battle. Chemo is not easy and neither is surgery but with family support and knowledge for the experts from this group, she will become a "Teal Warrior". Hugs to you. Saundra

Saundra,
    Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am very happy to hear that you're still around to share your experiences with us. My mom is very strong and I feel confident in her abilities to beat this. Thanks again for the input. -Chris
  • ChrisMcG
    Options
    LuvMyMom3 said:

Hi Chris-
    My mom was dx

Hi Chris-

My mom was dx about 2 weeks ago adn had her first chemo a week ago this past Friday- I am here for you since we are newbies- to beat this thing with our moms- I am learning as I go and I know we want to do everything for our moms but there are times she will just want to lay down adn be alone. My dad is a great caregiver for her but they need their kids, too.. so I do what I can- she has had her good days when they said would be her bad days. My mom is very positive too and I hear that kind of attitude is 90% of the outcome- so our moms sound liek they are on the right road. You can send me a private message anytime- hang in there- I have faith they will pull through this.. HUGS-- Michele

Hello
    I am very new here and do not know how to private message anyone, so i'll just do it here! I'm sorry to hear about your mom I'm sure you're as nervous and as scared as I am. I agree that a positive attitude is a great thing in this fight. It just sucks, the whole situation. Just hope both of our moms can beat it and get past this. Keep posted! You can private message me if you would like...maybe I'll figure it out that way. Thanks! -Chris
  • ChrisMcG
    Options
    kayandok said:

Hi Chris,
    hearing the "C" word is enough to be terrified, and we have all been there. It just hits you out of the blue! I'm so sorry you have to go through this, it is not fun. Please know that late stage ovarian cancer is not a death sentence and there are a lot of long term survivors out there. Some of the stats online are old, and regardless, I always tell myself, "Someone has to beat those stats, why can't it be me?"

I have an 18-year-old and two 12-year-olds, and they have been a wonderful support to me the last 3 years. (I was dx 3C) The fact that you are on here to get information tells me that you really love your mom and can be a great support to her too. Please come back anytime and ask anything you need to. I know that you will be amazed at the information and support you can get.

Take care,
    Kathleen

Hi Kathleen
    Thank you for your words of encouragement. I get bummed a lot about this whole situation but than I think about what my mom must be thinking, it must be 100x worse for her. I really admire that about people diagnosed with cancer. They keep a positive attitude even under the most negative of circumstances. I'm so glad that you're doing well after 3 years. I do really love my mom, and would do anything to help her out. Which I think most sons would do. Thanks again for the support, it helps so much to know that people have gone through very similar situations. Stay positive and keep us posted on how youre doing. Thanks again. -Chris
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hello Chris,
    So sorry to

Hello Chris,

So sorry to hear about your mom and as you can see, all of us ladies will gladly help you with any questions/advice you may have.

I am a stage IV ovca survivor over 3years now. So stage IV is NOT a death sentence.

These next few months will definitely be a challenge for you and your family, but stay as knowledgeable as possible and know that this is a new day in the war against cancer. There are so many options that medicine gives us today.

so stay strong Chris, and I am praying for you.

Sincerely,

Sharon
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    stage IV
    Hi Chris,

I am almost 2yrs from diagnosis at stage 4. I am currently fighting my first recurrence but I am feeling well and prepared to fight hard. Good luck to you and your family!!
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Dear Chris....
    My mother's

Dear Chris....

My mother's heart goes out to you. You are so young to have this terrible burden thrust upon you. I hope there are other family members available to help you and your mom get thru the months ahead. Chemo can be tough, but so is childbirth, and look how well that turned out for all us moms!

To answer some of your questions, although neither I nor any of the others here are physicians, Ovarian Cancer is staged according to its location, primarily. Stage IV is what they call it when the cancer has spread outside the immediate (abdominal) area. Here is a cut and paste that might help explain it better.

Stage IV: In this stage the cancer has spread to the inside of the liver, the lungs, or other organs located outside of the peritoneal cavity. (The peritoneal cavity, or abdominal cavity is the area enclosed by the peritoneum, a. membrane that lines the inner abdomen and covers most of its organs.). Finding ovarian cancer cells in the fluid around the lungs (called pleural fluid) is also evidence of stage IV disease.

Since your mom had a hysterectomy over a year ago, her primary cancer is probably in the peritoneal cavity, in which case there is no single tumor, but instead what they call "caking" - a splattering of thousands of cancer spots that most often cannot be completely removed surgically. My doctor described it as looking like "someone threw a handful of mud into a shoe box," and another said it appeared like someone had poured black Jello into the patient's abdomen, and it set up.

The chemo kills fast-growing cells all thru the body. It will kill the cancer cells, too - not because they are cancer, but because they are fast-growing cells, just like hair and fingernails. It will shrink the tumor on her colon, as well. And that one can perhaps be removed surgically. If it's "on" her colon, rather than "in" it, then that's good news.

I was diagnosed last Sept with Stage IIIc (just a hair away from Stage IV). I had the big surgery (complete hysterectomy and de-bulking, plus bowel re-section because I had a couple of small tumors in my bowel.) After 6 treatments (Carbo/Taxol) I am officially in remission, which is great, but 85% of us respond well to first line treatment, and of that 85%, most of us will have a recurrence within 12 months. So I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I am doing a year of what they call "maintenance" chemo (low dose of Taxol), which we hope will push back any potential recurrence.

I'm sure your mom has had a CA125 test. That is a tumor marker that gives the doctors an idea of how active the cancer is. Mine was 4000 before surgery, and is now 6. Normal is 0-35.

Some people say don't read the statistics, they will just drive the despair that a cancer diagnosis already brings with it. I can't help it, though. I read it all.....good and bad. And I take what I feel is helpful and factual and leave the rest. Women die of Ovarian Cancer. There is no denying that. But not ALL women die from it - even women diagnosed at Stage IV. But I'm not going to die today, or next week, or next month, and neither is your mom. Today I am happy and healthy and more alive than I was this time last year, because I got a huge wake-up call, along with the cancer diagnosis. However many days I have, I want them to all count, whether I die of cancer or a falling meteorite. This is the day the Lord has made......let us rejoice and be glad.

Carlene
  • LuvMyMom3
    LuvMyMom3 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    ChrisMcG said:

Hello
    I am very new here and do not know how to private message anyone, so i'll just do it here! I'm sorry to hear about your mom I'm sure you're as nervous and as scared as I am. I agree that a positive attitude is a great thing in this fight. It just sucks, the whole situation. Just hope both of our moms can beat it and get past this. Keep posted! You can private message me if you would like...maybe I'll figure it out that way. Thanks! -Chris

instructions to private message me
    Chris- I just found out how to do this myself- go to the "Home " button at the top. Click that and go under "Connect." You can write me there- LuvMyMom3 I already sent you a message & my email.. Michele
  • sanam
    sanam Member Posts: 106
    Options

Dear Chris....
    My mother's

Dear Chris....

My mother's heart goes out to you. You are so young to have this terrible burden thrust upon you. I hope there are other family members available to help you and your mom get thru the months ahead. Chemo can be tough, but so is childbirth, and look how well that turned out for all us moms!

To answer some of your questions, although neither I nor any of the others here are physicians, Ovarian Cancer is staged according to its location, primarily. Stage IV is what they call it when the cancer has spread outside the immediate (abdominal) area. Here is a cut and paste that might help explain it better.

Stage IV: In this stage the cancer has spread to the inside of the liver, the lungs, or other organs located outside of the peritoneal cavity. (The peritoneal cavity, or abdominal cavity is the area enclosed by the peritoneum, a. membrane that lines the inner abdomen and covers most of its organs.). Finding ovarian cancer cells in the fluid around the lungs (called pleural fluid) is also evidence of stage IV disease.

Since your mom had a hysterectomy over a year ago, her primary cancer is probably in the peritoneal cavity, in which case there is no single tumor, but instead what they call "caking" - a splattering of thousands of cancer spots that most often cannot be completely removed surgically. My doctor described it as looking like "someone threw a handful of mud into a shoe box," and another said it appeared like someone had poured black Jello into the patient's abdomen, and it set up.

The chemo kills fast-growing cells all thru the body. It will kill the cancer cells, too - not because they are cancer, but because they are fast-growing cells, just like hair and fingernails. It will shrink the tumor on her colon, as well. And that one can perhaps be removed surgically. If it's "on" her colon, rather than "in" it, then that's good news.

I was diagnosed last Sept with Stage IIIc (just a hair away from Stage IV). I had the big surgery (complete hysterectomy and de-bulking, plus bowel re-section because I had a couple of small tumors in my bowel.) After 6 treatments (Carbo/Taxol) I am officially in remission, which is great, but 85% of us respond well to first line treatment, and of that 85%, most of us will have a recurrence within 12 months. So I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I am doing a year of what they call "maintenance" chemo (low dose of Taxol), which we hope will push back any potential recurrence.

I'm sure your mom has had a CA125 test. That is a tumor marker that gives the doctors an idea of how active the cancer is. Mine was 4000 before surgery, and is now 6. Normal is 0-35.

Some people say don't read the statistics, they will just drive the despair that a cancer diagnosis already brings with it. I can't help it, though. I read it all.....good and bad. And I take what I feel is helpful and factual and leave the rest. Women die of Ovarian Cancer. There is no denying that. But not ALL women die from it - even women diagnosed at Stage IV. But I'm not going to die today, or next week, or next month, and neither is your mom. Today I am happy and healthy and more alive than I was this time last year, because I got a huge wake-up call, along with the cancer diagnosis. However many days I have, I want them to all count, whether I die of cancer or a falling meteorite. This is the day the Lord has made......let us rejoice and be glad.

Carlene

Dear Chris
    I am really sorry

Dear Chris
    I am really sorry for what you are going through.I have been there in Decmber 2009.My question is how you know the stage of your mum's cancer before the surgery.Was there any acsites ?any pleural infusion?
    My Mom did 6 chemo first and then she went for the debulking .I was terrified in the beginning as you are.Let me tell you that I was supporting her and I was with her in the past 6 month and for the first 3 months I cried every night.I had nightmares .Once I dreamed that I am floating in her stomach and asking the cancer cells to stop.My husband really supported me to get out of the shock but it took 3 months.I lost my father a couple of years ago and I was not ready to lose my mom.She is my life.
    I start reading and googling.Now I know for sure that there is hope.It is a recurrent cancer ,maybe not curable but it can be managed.I saw many women who were cured even from late stages.you can visit inspire.com .
    I always admire my mum.she went through everything with her beautiful promising smile and I thanked god that I have such a strong mum as you have.
    The women in this site are such an inspiration.I wish I would have found them earlier.
    I am here for you.You can read the whole story in "about me" page.
    My mums surgery went very well as the chemo shrunk the tumors and the ascites disappered after that.

Now she is on the chemo after surgery and I am praying for her remission.

Take good care of yourself and let me be there for you when ever you need.I am so far away but I would love to help.
    Hugs
  • sanam
    sanam Member Posts: 106
    Options

Dear Chris....
    My mother's

Dear Chris....

Carlene

Dear Chris
    I am really sorry

Dear Chris
    I am really sorry for what you are going through.I have been there in Decmber 2009.My question is how you know the stage of your mum's cancer before the surgery.Was there any acsites ?any pleural infusion?
    My Mom did 6 chemo first and then she went for the debulking .I was terrified in the beginning as you are.Let me tell you that I was supporting her and I was with her in the past 6 month and for the first 3 months I cried every night.I had nightmares .Once I dreamed that I am floating in her stomach and asking the cancer cells to stop.My husband really supported me to get out of the shock but it took 3 months.I lost my father a couple of years ago and I was not ready to lose my mom.She is my life.
    I start reading and googling.Now I know for sure that there is hope.It is a recurrent cancer ,maybe not curable but it can be managed.I saw many women who were cured even from late stages.you can visit inspire.com .
    I always admire my mum.she went through everything with her beautiful promising smile and I thanked god that I have such a strong mum as you have.
    The women in this site are such an inspiration.I wish I would have found them earlier.
    I am here for you.You can read the whole story in "about me" page.
    My mums surgery went very well as the chemo shrunk the tumors and the ascites disappered after that.

Now she is on the chemo after surgery and I am praying for her remission.

Take good care of yourself and let me be there for you when ever you need.I am so far away but I would love to help.
    Hugs
  • eward
    eward Member Posts: 210
    Options
    new diagnosis
    Chris,
    I am also on this board because my mom was diagnosed suddenly with stage 4 primary peritoneal (treated the same as ovarian) cancer in April of 2009. Several years previous to her diagnosis, she had a hysterectomy with no signs of cancer and they left her ovaries. A little over a year ago, she had what is called pleural effusion. Cancer cells were found in fluid around her lung and that was how they eventually diagnosed cancer.

I would say be careful what you read online. Many "factual" sites have outdated information and may scare you even more than you need to be. My mom's drs. told her to be careful what she reads at the time of her diagnosis.

Another thing I would say is make sure your mom gets a fantastic surgeon with plenty of experience. A gyno-oncologist surgeon is who she needs, not just any old surgeon.

Enough for tonight. Take care and know there is lots of support for you and your mom.
    Eileen
  • eward
    eward Member Posts: 210
    Options
    new diagnosis
    Computer glitch - double post...
  • tmc576
    tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello
    So sorry to hear about your mother's dx. My mom was also dx at the end of March with stage iv. We all know what you are going through, and I have found the support I get from here helps me alot. Please keep us informed of your mom's progress. You and her will be in my prayers.

Tracey
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Dear Chris....
    My mother's

Dear Chris....

Carlene

Hi Carlene
    Thanks for your post. I have just finished reading it and it is so factual and reassuring. It is true, everyone will die one day - but not today. We will live with cancer and it will become part of our lives. But until that day comes I will live my life to the full.

Take care Tina xx
  • Trusting in God
    Trusting in God Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Dear Chris,
    I wanted to send

Dear Chris,

I wanted to send you a word of hope. I am now 35 years old but when I was 18 my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV and not given long to live, it had spread to other areas. I was terrified. My Mom and I have always been very close. She went through 6 months of chemo and the cancer was completely gone. The Lord had healed her. She is still alive 17 and 1/2 years later. She was there to see me get married and give birth to my daughters. All the things I thought she was going to be gone for. 3 1/2 years ago her CA125 started going up again and she has been on chemo again for that 3 1/2 years. Every chemo known to man but she is still fighting. Actually she ended up having Primary Peritoneal Cancer (they used to just lump it in with ovarian and sometimes still do) it is almost one in the same, many of the same symptoms and treatments but tends to be harder to catch and beat. I tell you all of this to encourage you that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD. Doctors continue to look at my Mom and say "WOW, you are a miracle!" Don't give of hope. It is scarey, I think sometimes it is harder for those of us supporting our loved ones. I pray the Lord will give you strength and peace as you walk through this with your Mom. God Bless you! Your family is in my prayers.
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Dear Chris,
    I wanted to send

Dear Chris,

I wanted to send you a word of hope. I am now 35 years old but when I was 18 my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV and not given long to live, it had spread to other areas. I was terrified. My Mom and I have always been very close. She went through 6 months of chemo and the cancer was completely gone. The Lord had healed her. She is still alive 17 and 1/2 years later. She was there to see me get married and give birth to my daughters. All the things I thought she was going to be gone for. 3 1/2 years ago her CA125 started going up again and she has been on chemo again for that 3 1/2 years. Every chemo known to man but she is still fighting. Actually she ended up having Primary Peritoneal Cancer (they used to just lump it in with ovarian and sometimes still do) it is almost one in the same, many of the same symptoms and treatments but tends to be harder to catch and beat. I tell you all of this to encourage you that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD. Doctors continue to look at my Mom and say "WOW, you are a miracle!" Don't give of hope. It is scarey, I think sometimes it is harder for those of us supporting our loved ones. I pray the Lord will give you strength and peace as you walk through this with your Mom. God Bless you! Your family is in my prayers.

Dear Trusting in God
    Thank you for posting your story. I have PPC & I have just finished chemo. It is really encouraging to read stories like yours. I wish you and your mum love and happiness, Tina xx