new here, colorectal mets to liver

Options
debn22061
debn22061 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello, my name is Debbie. i was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma 2 years ago and had my right kidney removed, then 6 months later was found to have a second primary cancer of colorectal and had colon resection with permanent colostomy. Had chemo and radiation and have been clear odf cancer for 2 years, then my CEA started rising and had some problems with abdominal pain, diarrhea and few other symptoms so Doc did PEt and found several aras in my liver. Will have biopsy and colonscopy at end of June.I am 49 years old. My renal cell was stage 2, colorectal was stage 3b. I am scared to death. Do not know what to expect. I dont even know what to do. Is there any hope for me? I am so mixed up, want to cry all the time, then I just get so angry. Am I nuts? Is the treatment the same for liver mets? My resection nearly killed me. I went into resp arrest 3 times during surgery and ended up on a vent for several days after surgery. Can anybody pleaase tell me what to expect?

Comments

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I had a liver resection in April of 2009, 60 percent of my liver was taken out it was a six hour surgery, there is hope, hope for all of us! You may want to talk to your ONC about giving you something to relax if you can't do it on your own. The last thing you need is added stress. It is not good for you. Others will pipe in and although we don't like to give advice we do like to help you make it through the journey.

Look at the calling all stage 4 posts, and you will see there are many of us here, you can also click on the person's name to get information about each person.

Hang in there, sending you a big hug!!
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Deb
    Like Nana said, lots of Stage IV out there and doing very well. Read the thread and our stories. Chemo worked very well on my hubby's mets. Although not yet a candidate for any type of surgery (he also has mets to the lungs) he continues to work full time and enjoy life. Relax, breathe, and let us know what your doc's plan of action is.

Tina
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    You've definitely had more than your share of cancer! I'm so sorry. I don't have answers to your questions, but I'm glad you've come here for help. There are many here who will be able to offer you great info.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Debbie,
    I haven't

Welcome, Debbie,

I haven't had a liver resection but wanted to say "hi". I hope you get some answers here.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie
    There is hope for you for sure.
    I'm stage IV colon cancer, diagnosed in Feb 04. Surgery in Sept 04 after 6 months of chemo. 70% of liver removed. I had a HAI pump installed that delivered chemo to the liver after I was de-livered. No problems at all with liver or colon after initial operation. There are ways of removing/treating the cancer. I would make sure that you are going to the best cancer facility that you can and also that you have the best oncology team that you can get. What you do first is important (IMO). What you do to treat it has a lot to do with what you can expect.

Sounds like you've been through a lot so far. Respiratory arrest 3 times then a ventilator. What caused that, do they have any idea or do you have any health issues or other circumstances that might have caused that to happen?
    -phil
  • Sunblazer88
    Sunblazer88 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Debbie
    I cannot give you a lot of advice other then to listen to some of the old hands on the board. They have been helpful to me. My wife was diagnosed with stage iv in January and has mets to the liver. Just like you, I am wondering what to expect, but truth be told, just try to keep a positive attitude and take it day by day!
    Sunblazer88
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    Options
    hope
    To answer your question there is tons of hope for you. I had primary rectal removed and then 11 months later had mets to the liver. They were in-operable at the time and like you was feeling quite hopeless. I received chemo and tumors died and shrunk enough to get a liver resection. I also went into arrest during my liver resection but the doctors handled it like it was no big deal and brought me back. What you describe yourself going through emotionally is exactly what I went through. I then started to put things in order. A then B then C. I asked myself whats my plan to beat this. Gathered information and then set the plan in action. Doctors were not as confident in my plan as I was but now I am NED 1year post op and continuing the plan to keep this stuff away. You can do it. You did it before and you can do it again. You are battle hardened and this is the same opponent that you already beat once.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    zenmonk said:

hope
    To answer your question there is tons of hope for you. I had primary rectal removed and then 11 months later had mets to the liver. They were in-operable at the time and like you was feeling quite hopeless. I received chemo and tumors died and shrunk enough to get a liver resection. I also went into arrest during my liver resection but the doctors handled it like it was no big deal and brought me back. What you describe yourself going through emotionally is exactly what I went through. I then started to put things in order. A then B then C. I asked myself whats my plan to beat this. Gathered information and then set the plan in action. Doctors were not as confident in my plan as I was but now I am NED 1year post op and continuing the plan to keep this stuff away. You can do it. You did it before and you can do it again. You are battle hardened and this is the same opponent that you already beat once.

Hello There!
    Theres always hope girl, it is a scary, long hard journey at times, but I am also a Stage 4 CC with mets to liver, and also inoperable and incurable. I am on Folfox right now, getting mixed results with some tumors that grew, some shrunk, some aren't even doing a thing. I just take life day by day and live for that day. I have 4 children, and not ready to leave them, but stay positive and focused on trying to stay well.

The chemo will knock you out, no fun there, but you can do it. Lots of survivors still here, you just can't put any kind of prognosis on it, since alot of people have beaten the odds. Stay well, and happy, have your onc prescribe some anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, which do help as well, and not take you into those dark places for too long.

Any other questions we're here for you :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna