Ports and thoughts about them

Options
2»

Comments

• pcs1453
    pcs1453 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Out it Goes
    I finished chemo May 4, 2009, and had my port taken out May 27, 2009. Best thing for me.
  • InfinityofHope
    InfinityofHope Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Keeping It
    My port reminds me everyday that it's there but I had such a hard time getting it that I will keep it around for a few years. It took two tries and two doctors to get the thing in and the pain was awful but not having it is so not an option for me. I was on continous 5FU for about a month but because my body decided to refuse to metabolism the drugs fast enough I built up a deadly level and had to be taken off chemo (grrrr!). They say that the levels of the drug were so high that it was killing me. It's funny that when my Onc. was telling me about 5FU he said that most people don't even know they're on it ~ boy how I wish I was one of those people lol. I think I've had and am still having every side effect known. I am still doing radiation but that too isn't going well. I have radiation 5 days aweek and have only 5 more to go. I take each day as it comes and am grateful for each and everyday. I give myself pep talks and am hopefull that someday I will get the 'all clear' from all of my doctors. One thing I know ... it is only through the love and grace of God that I am able to wake up everyday and to make it through no matter how bad it gets He is always with me and His love surrounds me... so instead of 'I think I can, I think I can'...I say 'I know I can, I know I can'...God Bless
  • TLG320
    TLG320 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    took it out!
    My husband (stage 2a) finished chemo on May 17 and had his port removed June 15. For him, he was self-conscious of it (even though it really wasn't very noticeable - except to him). Getting it taken out was quite the celebration and a nice sense of closure for him.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options

Keeping It
    My port reminds me everyday that it's there but I had such a hard time getting it that I will keep it around for a few years. It took two tries and two doctors to get the thing in and the pain was awful but not having it is so not an option for me. I was on continous 5FU for about a month but because my body decided to refuse to metabolism the drugs fast enough I built up a deadly level and had to be taken off chemo (grrrr!). They say that the levels of the drug were so high that it was killing me. It's funny that when my Onc. was telling me about 5FU he said that most people don't even know they're on it ~ boy how I wish I was one of those people lol. I think I've had and am still having every side effect known. I am still doing radiation but that too isn't going well. I have radiation 5 days aweek and have only 5 more to go. I take each day as it comes and am grateful for each and everyday. I give myself pep talks and am hopefull that someday I will get the 'all clear' from all of my doctors. One thing I know ... it is only through the love and grace of God that I am able to wake up everyday and to make it through no matter how bad it gets He is always with me and His love surrounds me... so instead of 'I think I can, I think I can'...I say 'I know I can, I know I can'...God Bless

Dear IofH,
    Welcome to our

Dear IofH,

Welcome to our forum! I am sorry you have had such a rough time. I hope things will get easier for you.