Has any one had this much trouble.

smalldoggroomer
smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First off I am self employed and can't afford Ins, at this time. I dont have a lot of money. Husband in construction (we all know how that is right now).I already have Medical bills coming in for testing that I hope I can pay. That said. I was diagnosed with Inflamitory breast cancer on May 4th after a Mammogram and Ultra sound. Seen Oncologist after that he said dont worry about anything I would get treatment. Had Ct scan, biopsy, then said it was Ivasive ductal carcinoma. Then seen Surgeon at large cancer hospital in my area. She said Inflammatory breast cancer. Did bone scan at this hospital and a skin biopsy ( negetive) Surgeon asked if I was having treatment there at the hospital. I told her were I was going because it was allot closer to home. And Oncologist had told me he would get drugs for free and only charge for cost??. She called Oncologist and he called me to come in. I go to appointment and he said he can get the Chemo drugs for free so he wont charge me for them.?? But had to charge me for administering them.. It was very expensive I cant afford it. Called cancer hospital back when I get home and they call oncologist.( Suppose to be working together for my care ) Hospital also told me to file for SS disability for help because inflamitory breast cacer is disabling. done that will take 60 to 90 days. Oncologist told hospital that he would hold charges ontill I got SS disability. I call back to confirm this with ocologist they tell me after review they can not hold charges I must pay. ( blood from a rock kind of thing ) Well Hopital is very disapointed in this Doctor. Now treatment is put off because I have to get approved at hospital for treatment. I was already approved there for surgery. I am so frustrated right now. I feel angry hopless at times. I am in pain . The tumor in my breast is large enough to see. I cant work because of pain. My breast is so swollen that my are runs into it on the side when I move it. And if anyone els want to exam me I will kick them in the knee. Sorry for the vent hope I made some sence. I think I have also lost my mind. has any one els got this kind of treatment from a Oncologist. He flat out lied.

Comments

• AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    So Sorry
    I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I know it can be maddening to say the least. The Drs. seem to tell you what you want to hear or they don't know all the ins and outs of this type of finicial problem. The other thing that may be the problem the disability. I think once you get that you will be qualified for Medicare or your state program. It is only a guess but hang in there and keep coming back to the boards. I think from what you wrote the hospital might be your better bet but I've been known to be wrong. LOL Get anything they promise in writing.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Oh my goodness I never heard
    Oh my goodness I never heard of such a situation. I'm so, so sad that you are going through this and I hope they get their act together for you ASAP. Hang in there and come vent to us often. We care and want to hear how you are doing.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Unbelievable!
    I have insurance (not great insurance, but something at least) and cannot imagine going through this without it. I have also inflammatory breast cancer and it needs to be attacked quickly and aggressively. I pray that you will get the care you need and soon.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    heidijez said:

Unbelievable!
    I have insurance (not great insurance, but something at least) and cannot imagine going through this without it. I have also inflammatory breast cancer and it needs to be attacked quickly and aggressively. I pray that you will get the care you need and soon.

I am not surprised
    but the system. I am sorry for your situation. I strongly believe that you need to start treatment as soon as possible, especially since you have inflammatory cancer. Charges can be delayed, you can ask for a payment plan, put on credit card, call to American Cancer Society and ask for financial assistance. Please do not wait until you get Social Security benefits. You need to move fast.
    Good luck
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member

I am not surprised
    but the system. I am sorry for your situation. I strongly believe that you need to start treatment as soon as possible, especially since you have inflammatory cancer. Charges can be delayed, you can ask for a payment plan, put on credit card, call to American Cancer Society and ask for financial assistance. Please do not wait until you get Social Security benefits. You need to move fast.
    Good luck

I am so sorry
    I would also like to add can you go to your church (if you have one) or any churches in the area and talk with them, possibly they really can help you financially. It's worth a try.
  • smalldoggroomer
    Thanks to all of you ladies,
    Thanks to all of you ladies, It really helps to have some one to talk to. ( Or write to ). I am going with the large cancer hospital. They have already excepted me for surgery. It is just a case of getting the paper work done. I have a appointment on the 14th with a oncologist there. I just want treatment to get started...
    Sorry if I sounded alittle whinny lol. If it wasn't for my Sister and Husband I would have lost my mInd already..LOL
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member

Thanks to all of you ladies,
    Thanks to all of you ladies, It really helps to have some one to talk to. ( Or write to ). I am going with the large cancer hospital. They have already excepted me for surgery. It is just a case of getting the paper work done. I have a appointment on the 14th with a oncologist there. I just want treatment to get started...
    Sorry if I sounded alittle whinny lol. If it wasn't for my Sister and Husband I would have lost my mInd already..LOL

Good luck to you doggroomer,
    I can only imagine the frustration you've been feeling. I pray all goes well for you.
  • arkansasgirl
    arkansasgirl Member Posts: 84
    private message
    Hi

I sent you a private message and was just wondering if you got it?

Arkansasgirl
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

I am not surprised
    Good luck

I agree with New Flower.
    I agree with New Flower. Please get started on treatment as soon as you can. There is help out there emotionally and financially. Hugs and prayers to you.
  • smalldoggroomer

private message
    Hi

I sent you a private message and was just wondering if you got it?

Arkansasgirl

Yes I just got your message.
    Yes I just got your message. I just didnt notice it befor sorry. Thank you very much it helped. Are you through with treatment now? How are you doing? I hope you are feeling well and healthy. Take care
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    natly15 said:

I agree with New Flower.
    I agree with New Flower. Please get started on treatment as soon as you can. There is help out there emotionally and financially. Hugs and prayers to you.

I also am so sorry. And,
    I also am so sorry. And, the others are right, get your treatment going. Right now, the main concern is for you to fight the cancer. Praying for you!
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Insurance
    Hi,

Since you said you and your husband don't make a lot you may qualify for Medicaid. Each state is different. Here in MA it is MA Health. You may be surprised by the ability to qualify. It costs you nothing but time to fill out an application and they usually get back to you within 10 days. If you have cancer they may even cover you automatically. Please check with your state and see what you can get. It's worth a try.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I can't offer any additional
    I can't offer any additional advice but just wanted to wish you the best. It is very frustrating to have to wait for other people but I'm hoping it is all straightened out and you begin your treatments soon. Take care and keep us posted.
  • cocarolyn
    cocarolyn Member Posts: 7
    Please call the American
    Please call the American Cancer Society for further assistance. They offer many services and are available 24/7. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Good suggestions
    Several people have made some very good suggestions. 1)get treatment. Damn the cost--you are fighting for your life. 2)if you have not already, talk to the financial counselor at the hospital. They can make suggestions for local resources. 2) Contact both American Cancer Society and the nearest Komen center. Both have programs & resources that can help.

Good luck to you.

Maureen