New and Grateful to have found this Network!

MOrtiz0810
MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am so Happy that I found this site! It feels like I finally found a site that answers many of the questions that I've had about BC treatment. I was diagnosed on March 1, 2010, and had a bilateral mastectomy with tram flap about 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, my recovery has been delayed because I have two wounds (one on the stomach and one on the breast) that are just not healing, and they are quite scary to look at! Still on antibiotics and seeing my surgeon every week, it is a strong possibility that I will be going back to the Operating Room to close out the wounds. My issue is that the surgeon had warned me prior to the surgery, that I might have this type of complication, but because of my age (39), a non-smoker, and generally in good health, that this complication would be rare. There are days that I wish I would have just opted for the Mastectomy with no reconstructive surgery!

I have one issue below that I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on:

My left arm is no longer flexible, while the right arm is practically back to normal. Is this something that typically will require Physical Therapy to hopefully regain that flexibility? Just hope I'm not stuck with limited flexibility on that side.

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Welcome MOrtiz
    Welcome! sorry I can't help with your arm I am just getting started with this journey my self.
    I wish you luck with your recovery. My prayers are with you. Take care.
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Welcome
    There was a list of exercises posted a while back called Post Mastectomy Exercises by M-star. I just bumped the thread, so hopefully this will help you.

I am about to 98% of normal flexibility post my mastectomy. Best of luck with this fight!

Hugs - Carrie
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41

Welcome
    There was a list of exercises posted a while back called Post Mastectomy Exercises by M-star. I just bumped the thread, so hopefully this will help you.

I am about to 98% of normal flexibility post my mastectomy. Best of luck with this fight!

Hugs - Carrie

Thank you!
    Thank you for the support and the resources!

We will defeat this battle!
  • arkansasgirl
    arkansasgirl Member Posts: 84
    WELCOME
    Hi MOrtiz0810

Welcome to the Pink club but sorry you had to find us this way. My surgeon suggested PT
    and it has helped.

Arkansasgirl
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

WELCOME
    Hi MOrtiz0810

Welcome to the Pink club but sorry you had to find us this way. My surgeon suggested PT
    and it has helped.

Arkansasgirl

I am still in Pt but started
    I am still in Pt but started doing pilates (very light) if you do rads make sure you exersize, stretch and moisturize.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    carkris said:

I am still in Pt but started
    I am still in Pt but started doing pilates (very light) if you do rads make sure you exersize, stretch and moisturize.

yes welcome, sorry you had
    yes welcome, sorry you had to find this site, but you will find people here supportive and caring.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Welcome MOrtiz
    Welcome! sorry I can't help with your arm I am just getting started with this journey my self.
    I wish you luck with your recovery. My prayers are with you. Take care.

Welcome and hi Mortiz!
    Welcome and hi Mortiz! Praying for you and sending you hugs!