Can we go in the sun?

Options
weazer
weazer Member Posts: 440
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was wondering after Chemo and rads if we can go in the sun?
I take care of my Grandson, and that calls for baseball practice and games.
And today it was wicked hot, and I ended up in the shade on the other side of the field.
I'm 8 months out of Chemo and Rads, I still have some problems as far as getting tired but I am getting my Mojo back.
I would love to lose some wieght but I just don't have the ambition too push myself yet.
Does anyone know if the chemicals (cocktails) that we have injested will affect us with the sun?
Take care all of you Beautiful people.
Lots of Hugs Weazer....aka Karie in Colo

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    we can but we should not
    I try to avoid direct sun and use sunscreen.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    If you've had radiation to
    If you've had radiation to the skin you must try and avoid the sun on those areas my onc said. There is a higher risk of skin cancer and also,if you have had MX/BMX ,the skin is thinner and more sensitive to the sun and it can damage it.

I think with some chemo drugs you gotta be careful in the sun also.

Best to ask your onc but mine said a definate no to sunbathing and i need high factor sun block on and a t-shirt to cover up my chest
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

we can but we should not
    I try to avoid direct sun and use sunscreen.

I don't know about chemo,
    I don't know about chemo, but, with rads, you are to avoid the sun. If you do go out, protect the area being radiated and wear sunscreen.

Leeza
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Lots of sunscreen!
    I was told to slather myself with a good sunscreen and do whatever I want by my PA (She's been my PA for 13+ yrs so she knows me pretty good). Didn't ask my Chemo or Rad Dr. as it was still winter/COLD the last times I saw them so just didn't think to ask. Personally, there is no way that I will not be outside in the sun. Lack of sun is horrible for me here with SAD so there is no way that I will 'hibernate' all year - that would be giving up on living! Winter is bad enough even with my light box. My yard is very important to me but my/our horses are even more important - they have always been what has kept me going through hard times and I won't give up what they do for me - so I have to be in the sun.

Remember that we are all different and our cancers are different - so what is 'right' for one is not necesarily right for another.
    Susan
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    Options
    I forgot my sunscreen
    I forgot my sunscreen yesterday afternoon and was out for mmmm maybe 15 minutes before I remembered, and came in with a *nasty* sunburn. Figured I still have chemo in my body. Normally that same burn would take about an hour w/ no sunscreen.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

I forgot my sunscreen
    I forgot my sunscreen yesterday afternoon and was out for mmmm maybe 15 minutes before I remembered, and came in with a *nasty* sunburn. Figured I still have chemo in my body. Normally that same burn would take about an hour w/ no sunscreen.

I just wanted to add that
    I just wanted to add that even though my rads oncologist told me to never get sun on the radiated side, I have already, and, it is fine. Just a little at a time.