port bleeding

Options
tmc576
tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi ladies, I normally post on the OVCA board, but my mom had a power port inserted today, and I know this is an active board, and alot of you have ports. Any advice would be great. thanks in advance!

My mom had her port inserted today. Bleeding is an issue with her because of her medications. It has blead through a thick bandage in about 5 hours. The nurse said to call the doctor if she had "excessive bleeding" - well, whats excessive? I have changed the bandage, and if it continues to bleed over the next couple of hours, i will give the doctor a call. What was your experiances with bleeding after the port?

Tracey

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracey.....
    I'm not sure what a "power port" is. Whether it was like my port or not. But I am very sure that your Mom should not be bleeding enough for dressing changes.
    Please call the Dr. and see what he/she thinks.

CR
  • tmc576
    Options
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick answer. my mom is so sick of hospitals and doctors, that she presses me NOT to call, because she is afraid they will want her to come in. I am going to call soon, just hoping that is was normal. Thanks again.
  • CR1954
    Options
    tmc576 said:

Thanks
    Thanks for your quick answer. my mom is so sick of hospitals and doctors, that she presses me NOT to call, because she is afraid they will want her to come in. I am going to call soon, just hoping that is was normal. Thanks again.

I understand....
    I understand how your Mom feels. It seems to be one medical issue after another sometimes.
    Tell her I will feel better about the whole thing if you call and double check with her Dr.
    Please let us know how she makes out...

Hugs,

CR
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I understand....
    I understand how your Mom feels. It seems to be one medical issue after another sometimes.
    Tell her I will feel better about the whole thing if you call and double check with her Dr.
    Please let us know how she makes out...

Hugs,

CR

Hi Tracey,
    You should call the doc immediately. My port didn't bleed at all. The incision was closed and glued. I have a regualr port, wish I had a power port cause then they could use it for tests requiring dye. But I don't think there is a difference in thge surgery to insert it. Let us know what happens.

Hugs to you and your mom. Hope she is ok.

Judy :-)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Hi Tracey,
    You should call the doc immediately. My port didn't bleed at all. The incision was closed and glued. I have a regualr port, wish I had a power port cause then they could use it for tests requiring dye. But I don't think there is a difference in thge surgery to insert it. Let us know what happens.

Hugs to you and your mom. Hope she is ok.

Judy :-)

Learn something every day
    I thought 'ports' were 'ports'. Didn't realize tht there were ports and power ports. Just looked at my card for mine and it clearly says Power Port (By BARD). I know surgeon said that it could be used for anything and has been once (in addition to chemo) for CT dye. But then my veins are great so no prob.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Rague said:

Learn something every day
    I thought 'ports' were 'ports'. Didn't realize tht there were ports and power ports. Just looked at my card for mine and it clearly says Power Port (By BARD). I know surgeon said that it could be used for anything and has been once (in addition to chemo) for CT dye. But then my veins are great so no prob.

I hope you already called
    your Mom doc. I did not have any bleeding with port.
    Call you doc.
    Good luck
  • tmc576
    Options
    Called last night
    Ended up speaking to the dr several times last night. She said she expected the bleeding due to the Plavix my mom has to take. I had two options - but alot of pressure on it (for up to 24 hrs) or go to ER where they would put pressure on it. She said my mom must stay laying down, with compression and ice. Bleeding finally slowed at about 6:00 this morning, but it was a LONG night. Thanks for your concern ladies!
  • CR1954
    Options
    tmc576 said:

Called last night
    Ended up speaking to the dr several times last night. She said she expected the bleeding due to the Plavix my mom has to take. I had two options - but alot of pressure on it (for up to 24 hrs) or go to ER where they would put pressure on it. She said my mom must stay laying down, with compression and ice. Bleeding finally slowed at about 6:00 this morning, but it was a LONG night. Thanks for your concern ladies!

Very glad......
    I'm very glad that you called the Dr. Also very glad that the bleeding stopped without having to take your Mom to ER.
    Get some rest and God bless.......

CR
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    tmc576 said:

Called last night

I am glad you called the
    I am glad you called the doctor too. Glad the bleeding slowed down for your Mom. You take care of yourself too.

Hugs, Debby