Can some mother give e their opinions on this please?

Lisa13Q
Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
As you all know, my mother's CT scan indicated a recurance 2 weeks ago. After speaking with the gyn/onc I really pushed for a PET scan and after being reluctant because of insurance issues, she agreed that a PET was a good idea. My mother didn't want it (I think because she is terrified) but she did take it today. Next week, she meets with the Gyn/Onc about the results and possibilties of being in a new PARP inhibitor trial. I spoke with her today and she is very down and frightened. She is with my sister and her kids who she loves. I was thinking of just flying out to NY on Monday and going in to the city with them for the results. And just being with my mother prior to.....she says, oh no....don't do that for me...blah blah blah.....thats what she said about Florida too...and she was eternally grateful I was there for that....opinions? should I go?

Comments

• tmc576
    tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
    GO!
    I think if you are able, go ahead and go. You will feel better, because you will feel like you are "doing something" She will feel loved, and be glad that you are there, even if she told you that you didn't have too. Moms are like that :)
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Where do you live? Is she
    Where do you live? Is she on chemo now? I can't remember everyones status!!! Are you the calm one in the family? Does your sister understand medical jargon and able to grasp the situation? I guess for me, it would depend on how well my sister would be able to understand and ask appropriate questions. Also, how well Mom is able to handle bad news. Will your sister be able to support her emotionally? Is the doctor able to talk to you first hand? Maybe you can call and conference the results?
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    I vote Go!
    Lisa, if you are able to go, then I would! There is nothing like having your family by your side, for the pivotal appointments!!! I always have felt so supported with their mere presence. AND I know you will ask the tough questions, AND be a huge encouragement to your mom.
    My two cents today.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Hugs,
    kathleen

PS I am very impressed that you were able to talk the doc into doing the PET when she initially declined.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    kayandok said:

I vote Go!
    Lisa, if you are able to go, then I would! There is nothing like having your family by your side, for the pivotal appointments!!! I always have felt so supported with their mere presence. AND I know you will ask the tough questions, AND be a huge encouragement to your mom.
    My two cents today.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Hugs,
    kathleen

PS I am very impressed that you were able to talk the doc into doing the PET when she initially declined.

I agree with the majority -
    I agree with the majority - if it's not a terrible inconvenience, you should go. Not just for your mom, but for your own peace of mind, and to be sure the right questions get asked, etc.

Carlene
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    baby girls
    Hi Lisa,
    Don't you know that mothers always want to see their baby girls? A couple of times when I've gone on caregiver duty, I didn't really know why, only that it was time to go. After a couple of days with Mom, situations would unfold that absolutely required my help. The world can be mysterious at times. And hey, I might be heading toward Momville on Monday, too. My puppy is down with bronchitis or something, and in her frail condition I worry about secondary infections.
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Go
    Hi Lisa, we always say no ... but love it when not listened to. If it works out for youto go I say go. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    BonnieR said:

Go
    Hi Lisa, we always say no ... but love it when not listened to. If it works out for youto go I say go. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie

Thank you all....I am going...
    Monday am I leave for NY......Will be there all week....I am going to surprise her...thanks for your votes....I will let you know about the PET scan.
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Lisa13Q said:

Thank you all....I am going...
    Monday am I leave for NY......Will be there all week....I am going to surprise her...thanks for your votes....I will let you know about the PET scan.

Hi Lisa
    I was a caregiver for my mum when she was ill with cancer as I lived nearby. My sister lived 120 miles away & it was a 2 1/2 hour car journey for her to come up. However, it always meant alot to both ME & my Dad when she came up as we were able to share the emotions amongst the 3 of us. Of course my mum was always so pleased to see her - but so was my dad and myself. So I agree with everyone else here & I would advise you to go.

Please let us know how things go, much love Tina xxx