Gemzar seems to be working!

Options
upsofloating
upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Finally got my ca125 results from last week and its down to 104!

In February it was up to 256 shortly after starting Doxil. It continued to rise up to 658 by 4/15 :-( one week after changing to Gemzar. Now with just 2 partial treatments,(neutrophil counts too low for third, Day 22, infusion in both Apr and May) but nevertheless results!! Lowest it's been in nearly a year.

I have a confirmed-by-biopsy recurrence in para aortic lymph node.
Annie

Comments

• Disneynutt
    Disneynutt Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hearty Congratulations! I
    Hearty Congratulations! I am very happy for you.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Gemzar
    I forgot that you were on Gemzar too. Do you know what your dose is? My first dose was slightly higher then recommended because my onc thought I could handle it. My wbc and platelets bottomed out. I have not been able to get another dose. My schedule is Day 1 gemzar, day 8 gemzar/carbo. I've only had my day one dose of gemazar. I go to have blood work tomorrow and hopefully have my second dose on Tuesday! What do you mean by partial treatments? So happy it is working for you! You have no areas on your colon? Just the lymph node?
  • upsofloating
    Options
    nancy591 said:

Gemzar
    I forgot that you were on Gemzar too. Do you know what your dose is? My first dose was slightly higher then recommended because my onc thought I could handle it. My wbc and platelets bottomed out. I have not been able to get another dose. My schedule is Day 1 gemzar, day 8 gemzar/carbo. I've only had my day one dose of gemazar. I go to have blood work tomorrow and hopefully have my second dose on Tuesday! What do you mean by partial treatments? So happy it is working for you! You have no areas on your colon? Just the lymph node?

I started with 800mg/square
    I started with 800mg/square meter body surface - i think it was 1432 mg, to be done on Day 1, 8, and 22 then week off. So far I've been able to do Days 1 and 8 only for 2 cycles even though second cycle had dose reduced to 600 mg/ - so 1074 mg. Both times on Day 22, neutrophils too low. I had same problem with Doxil(once/4 weeks), only did that twice then delays and problems led to chg. to Gemzar. I think my platelets don't get too low because they run high since I have no spleen - lost it in debulking surgery. Lymph node is only place biopsied, gyn-onc assumes I probably have sub-clinical additional stuff, hence chemo rather than remove node or radiate. Gyn-onc said white counts worst problem with Gemzar. But I think it a fairly easy chemo to tolerate. I developed an allergic reaction to Compazine given pre-chemo, so next week will be first without developing lockjaw!!!! No fun.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I started with 800mg/square
    I started with 800mg/square meter body surface - i think it was 1432 mg, to be done on Day 1, 8, and 22 then week off. So far I've been able to do Days 1 and 8 only for 2 cycles even though second cycle had dose reduced to 600 mg/ - so 1074 mg. Both times on Day 22, neutrophils too low. I had same problem with Doxil(once/4 weeks), only did that twice then delays and problems led to chg. to Gemzar. I think my platelets don't get too low because they run high since I have no spleen - lost it in debulking surgery. Lymph node is only place biopsied, gyn-onc assumes I probably have sub-clinical additional stuff, hence chemo rather than remove node or radiate. Gyn-onc said white counts worst problem with Gemzar. But I think it a fairly easy chemo to tolerate. I developed an allergic reaction to Compazine given pre-chemo, so next week will be first without developing lockjaw!!!! No fun.

same dose
    I had the same dose. Went I went back on day 8 my wbc were too low. I had a shot of neupogen and returned two days later. My wbc bounced back but my platelets were 91 so I couldn't get chemo. I was very bummed, I've never had blood work delays before!!! I go Friday for bloodwork with chemo scheduled on Tuesday. By then I will be one week behind schedule. I will get 700mg/sq. You are on Gemzar alone? Is that why you are getting 3 doses in 22 days? I will be on Gem/Carbo. Carbo on day 8 then 2 wks off. This is my first time back on Carbo. Have you been back on carbo or taxol? Have you been on Avastin? My onc says if the clinical trial data released the first week of June is postive then he will add it to my regimen.

Oh, I cannot take compazine. I took it once and hated it!!! I have zofran on hand for nausea but never had to take!
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
    Just chiming in with everyone else on Congratulations of good results,may the downward trend continue. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • upsofloating
    Options
    nancy591 said:

same dose
    I had the same dose. Went I went back on day 8 my wbc were too low. I had a shot of neupogen and returned two days later. My wbc bounced back but my platelets were 91 so I couldn't get chemo. I was very bummed, I've never had blood work delays before!!! I go Friday for bloodwork with chemo scheduled on Tuesday. By then I will be one week behind schedule. I will get 700mg/sq. You are on Gemzar alone? Is that why you are getting 3 doses in 22 days? I will be on Gem/Carbo. Carbo on day 8 then 2 wks off. This is my first time back on Carbo. Have you been back on carbo or taxol? Have you been on Avastin? My onc says if the clinical trial data released the first week of June is postive then he will add it to my regimen.

Oh, I cannot take compazine. I took it once and hated it!!! I have zofran on hand for nausea but never had to take!

I keep forgetting to ask why
    I keep forgetting to ask why just single agent, but he is rather conservative. That's tough your count was too low after just one infusion. I'm not sure what impact will be with combo with Carbo?? Clinic I go to requires blood counts within 24 hrs. prior to infusion. Protocol I was given is that with the Gemzar, when count to low just skip that dose but maintain original schedule. So when I miss Day 22 dose I just get an extra week break sticking with overall 28-day schedule. But with your combo regimen that would not work.

I was going to ask about Avastin when I see gyn-onc on Tues. Also, curious as to his take on drop in ca125 since he orders it to appease me not because he considers it really relevant. He is not gyn-onc from initial diagnosis/surgery/first round chemo, although he is head of gyn-onc at university med ctr I go to. Change was not my choice, my doctor left clinic.

Pulling for your platelets for you!!! Do enjoy your weekend with your boys!
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Annie
    So glad to har the gemzar is working for you! I had gemzar last year, but in combo with cisplatin. It did bring my CA down enough to take last summer off.
    Hoping that number continues to go down,
    kathleen:)