I went wigless today....

Options
Chrispea
Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
in public! My first time.

I haven't had hair since September. I have a little bit now. It's 90° here, and that wig is HOT! Yesterday I bought a pink Nike hat. My husband and I went out for a walk at a local park, and I wore my hat in public. No one looked at me funny. I actually felt empowered.

I can't wait to spike my hair up! hee hee.

Comments

• greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    WooHoo!
    Congratulations!!! I hope there are a bunch of women setting the "courage" bar for me when I get to that point 'cause I know that I'm going to need it!! But every time I see one of you doing it, I make a mental note for when my day comes!!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    That is so great!!
    It seems like there were 3 or 4 of our sisters that went "topless" this week!! Good going! It does feel liberating, doesn't it?

Congratulations!

Patti
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options

WooHoo!
    Congratulations!!! I hope there are a bunch of women setting the "courage" bar for me when I get to that point 'cause I know that I'm going to need it!! But every time I see one of you doing it, I make a mental note for when my day comes!!

Good for you!
    Didn't it feel terrific! I ditched my wig a couple of months ago. Just wearing baseball caps now, have enough hair that shows all around. Never cover head except in public and sun because it's thin on top and mys calp shows thru. GETTING MY HAIR COLORED 6-4! Hair has become curly so plans for the neat spikey do are on hold, will see what my hairdresser suggests. Goodbye rat gray hair!!!!

Come on ladies, ditch the wigs, it's summer, it's hot, be comfortable. Sneak up on it slowly at home, you can do it!
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Good for you!
    Didn't it feel terrific! I ditched my wig a couple of months ago. Just wearing baseball caps now, have enough hair that shows all around. Never cover head except in public and sun because it's thin on top and mys calp shows thru. GETTING MY HAIR COLORED 6-4! Hair has become curly so plans for the neat spikey do are on hold, will see what my hairdresser suggests. Goodbye rat gray hair!!!!

Come on ladies, ditch the wigs, it's summer, it's hot, be comfortable. Sneak up on it slowly at home, you can do it!

curls too
    I got curls too! I never even had a wave before LOL! Now I have curls - OMG!! I can't wait to get my color (2 more weeks) and then I am WIGLESS too!! I said I would be happy with ANY hair, ANY color . . . watch what you wish for! LOL
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    pattimc said:

That is so great!!
    It seems like there were 3 or 4 of our sisters that went "topless" this week!! Good going! It does feel liberating, doesn't it?

Congratulations!

Patti

It seems there are several of us "graduating"
    into the wigless, topless world! I can't remember the name, but one of the girls posted some terrific pictures on her expressions page...very inspirational, she even had them dated.

Yup, 6-4 I get a dye job and will learn how to "do" my curls. What a hoot! lol

Judy :-)
  • pjdreams
    pjdreams Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I just got over it
    Chris,

I was amazed how worried I was about losing my hair. After 2 surgeries and 18 weeks of chemo the hair loss really seemed like small potatoes. I ditched my wig quite quickly and just wore hats and turban styles caps. My hair has started to grow back (ended chemo in January) and I too have curl like I've never known. All my life I've only had straight hair but now I have wavy ! p.s. I've also never had THIS color hair but I can fix that once it grows a bit more.

Love and Regards,

Paula
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    pjdreams said:

I just got over it
    Chris,

I was amazed how worried I was about losing my hair. After 2 surgeries and 18 weeks of chemo the hair loss really seemed like small potatoes. I ditched my wig quite quickly and just wore hats and turban styles caps. My hair has started to grow back (ended chemo in January) and I too have curl like I've never known. All my life I've only had straight hair but now I have wavy ! p.s. I've also never had THIS color hair but I can fix that once it grows a bit more.

Love and Regards,

Paula

Yeah, my hair is curly, too.
    Yeah, my hair is curly, too. I look like my mom! It's so wild. I have a lot more gray than I thought, too.

You can see my scalp a bit, too.

The trick for the spikey curls is to put some gel or wax in your palm, then rub on your hair in circles and it will stand up. Makes it look like there's more! LOL!
  • TawnyS
    TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What a topless week!
    Congrats! I am another that started the week out without my scarf. I have not put it back on since. I kinda thought I would cave, but I didn't. I am so happy for you that you did it! It is very empowering and I feel like such a great example to my 8 year old daughter. I feel like I am showing her what a strong and courageous woman is all about with everything about how I have dealt with bc. She is so proud of me and I have have such a great support group of family and friends and their children are friends with my child. Everyone is so proud of me and it is just the best feeling in the world! I wish/hope/pray that everyone will/can/does experience that feeling too! WOOHOO YOU!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    TawnyS said:

What a topless week!
    Congrats! I am another that started the week out without my scarf. I have not put it back on since. I kinda thought I would cave, but I didn't. I am so happy for you that you did it! It is very empowering and I feel like such a great example to my 8 year old daughter. I feel like I am showing her what a strong and courageous woman is all about with everything about how I have dealt with bc. She is so proud of me and I have have such a great support group of family and friends and their children are friends with my child. Everyone is so proud of me and it is just the best feeling in the world! I wish/hope/pray that everyone will/can/does experience that feeling too! WOOHOO YOU!

I graduated to caps no naked
    I graduated to caps no naked yet. My hair is also curly and dark, I was straight and blondish. finished the end of January. looking forward to hearing of more wig and scarf grads.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    carkris said:

I graduated to caps no naked
    I graduated to caps no naked yet. My hair is also curly and dark, I was straight and blondish. finished the end of January. looking forward to hearing of more wig and scarf grads.

there are so many cute hats now
    that cover your whole head! I have several that were really cute and I'm keeping them to wear all the time now. The "railroad cap" is showing up everywhere and they are perfect for covering your head while it's growing back. AND it's something FUN to go shopping for!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I never purchased or wore a
    I never purchased or wore a wig, I just couldn't. I felt like I would be hiding the real me. I'm not a wig person. I believe in being myself, and being bald was me, now I have some hair. Men go bald and no one thinks anything of it so why should it be any different for women. I haven't brushed my hair in 8 months haha it actually feels good. It sure does make getting ready to go somewhere alot easier.
    For the first time in my life when I look in the mirror I see my inner beauty not just what one sees on the outside. Instead of seeing everything that I thought was wrong with me I now see all that is right. I feel liberated, and it feels great!!!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

WooHoo!

Congrats to you!

Congrats to you!
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Congratulations
    My hair is coming in straight as a pin. It is about the same color as it was before chemo. It was also really thick before chemo and is coming back that way.

Hugs

Donna
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Good for you!

Huge congrats Chris!
    Huge congrats Chris!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Chrispea said:

Yeah, my hair is curly, too.
    Yeah, my hair is curly, too. I look like my mom! It's so wild. I have a lot more gray than I thought, too.

You can see my scalp a bit, too.

The trick for the spikey curls is to put some gel or wax in your palm, then rub on your hair in circles and it will stand up. Makes it look like there's more! LOL!

Is it topless week? LOL So
    Is it topless week? LOL So many of you brave women have gone topless. Congrats to all of you!
  • GenieM27
    GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    You Inspire Me!
    Okay the past few days I've been reading how everyone is ditching their wigs, hats and scarves and going L'Natural. Well today I did it too! It is way to hot to wear anything on my head. I can't wait till my hair grows out a little so I can style it. Thanks to all of you for being so inspiring!

Hugs to my bossom buddies!
    Genie