Post TT Body Scans

gmh126
gmh126 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Good Afternoon --

I just have a few questions regarding the body scans. I recently had a TT (in April 2010)due to papillary carcinoma. I am scheduled for my body scan this week. My endo's nurse gave me a quick rundown of what will happen but just want to hear from someone who has experienced it. How long does it take? Did anyone have any limitations after taking the dose the day prior to the body scan? What should I expect?
I appreciate any feedback regarding this.

Thanks!

Comments

• JESSCLARK30
    JESSCLARK30 Member Posts: 5
    I HAD 1ST SCAN IN FEB10 AND
    I HAD 1ST SCAN IN FEB10 AND THEY GAVE ME SM. TRACER DOSE OF RADIOACTIVE IODINE AND SCAN TOOK LIKE 30-45 MIN
  • weberdns
    weberdns Member Posts: 154
    I had a body scan
    Actually I had 2 recently. One with the scan dose and 1 after the full dose of RAI. Each time I was asked to go to the bathroom before the scan. All it involved was lying on a table and being still for about 1 hour. They took 6 pictures that took about 10 minutes a piece. I was actually able to talk to the doctor after my treatment scan and he told me that all they saw was uptake in my neck area, and nowhere else. He said that with this test result and my low thyroglobulin levels that I probably would not need another scan until 1 year.

Limitations were that I wasn't permitted to be within 3 feet of any living thing (people, pets) for 2 days. I had the test dose on Monday, and then because I had a teenage daughter and a shadow dog I isolatated myself for 2 days.
  • nasher
    nasher Member Posts: 505 Member
    only problem i had with the
    only problem i had with the body scans was a sore back from laying still on the machine for the scans

they did what they told me is alot of scans over the 3 days i had prior do Radioactive iodine treatments each day was somewere between 1 hour and 3 hours in the machine 10-30 min at a time. it all depends on what they want to see and how much you move

if you are claustrophobic please tell the doctors early so they can do whatever they can to ease your claustrophobia .

there is no limitation to the uptake dose they give you

my first uptake dose of radiation (RI-131 UPTAKE) 8.1 uCi of I-131 t1/2= 8 days.
    my second uptake dose of radiation (RI-123 UPTAKE) 2.8 mCi I-123 t1/2= 13.2 hours

when they gave me treatment i got ... 175 mCi of I-131 t1/2= 8 days

so yes there will be some radiation when they give you the uptake dose but it is not something you need to worry about irradiating other people.

if you have any questions ask the radiologists and such they are more than willing to talk to you and make sure they answer all your questions ahead of time