Insurance Frustration

Options
chicoturner
chicoturner Member Posts: 282
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, I just returned from San Francisco today. Went over on Monday for a physical, tests and such while waiting for Ins. Co. approve my clinical trial procedures. There was only a few days window to start the trial otherwise wait a month. Waiting is not what I do best, especially when I know my little tumors are growing. My tests were all good and my Dr. said I was perfect for the trial because my tumors are small, but showing just enough changes to let me be in the trial. The Insurance co. is poking along. But I guess they don't have cancer. I hate it that they can determine my life! I am mostly healthy and would like to stay that way! The drug we need their ok on is avastin! I've been on it for a year already and it worked. I just needed a break from it. Sorry I am venting so much, but, I hate the fact that the insurance company can say yes or no. It should be the Dr. If the insurance co. agrees to work with a Dr. they should trust them. If not the fight should be with them. Hopefully they will approve it within next day or so and I can go back to SF to start the trial. The research guy is on vacation next week, but said he will come back to start me and observe. How come everyone is so cooperative but the ones who get to decide?? Gads.... I am going crazy!! Jean

Comments

• zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    Options
    stay positive
    I hope that things get moving along for you. Insurance companies. They re right up there on my list. I wonder how many people have died because of insurance companies. Anyway I dont want to get started on that whole health care thing. I just hope things work out for you. It would seem frustating to me that they would be dragging thier feet on a drug that has been approved for quite some time. Something that bothered me in your posting and I mean no disrespect but when you said "especially when I know my little tumors are growing". I would check that thinking if it were me. If you know they are growing then they are going to grow. Mind, body. Which is more powerful?
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Jean,I am sorry for all
    Jean,

I am sorry for all these insurance issues; it certainly can make it feel like you are fighting two battles instead of one - cancer plus the insurance issues. I hope you gget what you need soon.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Can you contact your insurance company as well?
    Call in; let them know there are problems, and they might respond. Also ask your broker or benefits administrator to contact them on your behalf.

I've had good luck that way. We also contact the insurers for our clients.

The multi-pronged attack is often effective.

Good luck - I, too, hate to see our health care decisions in the hands of the insurers rather than the medical professionals.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    GAHHHHHHH insurance companies suck!
    I swear, it's amazing when you know THEY have health issues as well! Of course, i suppose if they work for the company, THEY don't have the problems cause they know how to work the system. I have had to go rounds with my insurance company more than a few times, but I've always wound up with satisfaction in the end. Persistence pays off. My longest battle lasted more than a year and didn't end until I was in the hospital bed prepping for surgery in the morning! Really, it didn't COMPLETELY end until I returned home from the hospital and was able to take care of the final payments, etc. but the surgery was approved so that was close enough for me at the time! Of course, in your case, time is running short, so perhaps you need to get on the phone with them and find out exactly what the hold up is, etc. Sometimes it's something very minor and you can take care of it and get the ball moving. Don't forget to ask to speak to their supervisor if the person on the phone isn't being helpful! Eventually you'll get to somebody who knows how to do their job!
    Good luck!
    mary