hot flashes aaaaarggh!

Options
mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
and I am not even ER+, not on tamoxifen or anything related. Was not menapausal but maybe I am after 4 rounds of AC. I have been having intense hot flashes that now make me sweat granted they only last a few minutes but they do make me wake repeatedly up during the night.

I have been juicing organic watermelons, rind included, refridgerating the juice and drinking it when I have a hot flash. It does help a lot and makes me feel less dried out particularly at night but it makes me pee like crazy. I have been watching my diet, eating extremely healthy.

I was very Zen about the hot flashes but the last week or so, 'cause it distrupts my sleep, I am feeling a little frustrated about it. Just need to vent. And actually it can't be that bad if my only major compaint is hot flashes!

Comments

• greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    My Onc
    Didn't even bat an eye when I listed hot flashes at my last checkup. I just finished round 5 out of 6 of C/T and it really hadn't been a problem until a couple of weeks ago. And the thing that drives me absolutely nuts is that it seems to affect my head more than the rest of me. I finally told my husband he was probably just going to have to look at my sparsely populated dome that resembles an overgrown cactus field - even my caps and scarfs are just too much. I can't wait until I get to try the wig again - it will probably just go slip-sliding away.......
  • mariam_11_09
    Options

My Onc
    Didn't even bat an eye when I listed hot flashes at my last checkup. I just finished round 5 out of 6 of C/T and it really hadn't been a problem until a couple of weeks ago. And the thing that drives me absolutely nuts is that it seems to affect my head more than the rest of me. I finally told my husband he was probably just going to have to look at my sparsely populated dome that resembles an overgrown cactus field - even my caps and scarfs are just too much. I can't wait until I get to try the wig again - it will probably just go slip-sliding away.......

absolutely I have that same
    absolutely I have that same problem with an super sweaty head! fortunately I have some very light silk scarves that work well even with a sweaty head but the heavier ones I just rip off my head when a hot flash starts.

My onc. too just passed right over the hot flashes and showed tons of sympathy for some of my other complaints.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

My Onc

Wow
    Wow, I can't believe that my doctors just brush off the hot flashes too! They have taken over my life, I mean that.
    I never sleep through the night waking up ( and I look at the clock ) every 2 hours sometimes every hour soaking wet. I can't imagine that it's great for your health not to mention your mental well being.

If ever there was a problem that they should address it would be hot flashes and night sweats.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Chemo put me in menapause. A
    Chemo put me in menapause. A fan helps at night to sleep. I couldn't sleep without it.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Wow
    Wow, I can't believe that my doctors just brush off the hot flashes too! They have taken over my life, I mean that.
    I never sleep through the night waking up ( and I look at the clock ) every 2 hours sometimes every hour soaking wet. I can't imagine that it's great for your health not to mention your mental well being.

If ever there was a problem that they should address it would be hot flashes and night sweats.

Oncologists do not care for hot flashes
    they care about more serious and life threatening side effects of Chemo drugs. I am sorry ladies, unfortunately Chemo drugs have induced menopause, and instead of gradual declining in estrogen production it has been stopped suddenly by one or two treatments. It will be better by time.
    Hugs
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    joke
    I'm not looking for sympathy here, but I want to set the record straight. Hot flashes can last the rest of your life. I've had them for 11 years. Turned to hormone replacement therapy after spending years waking up at night every 45 minutes. Was on Premarin for 4 years with some slight relief. Went off it when the study came out connecting them to a higher rate of breast cancer. Five years later I was diagnosed with DCIS. In those ensuing years I just suffered with it, calling it 'God's cruel joke on me.' But with Tamoxifen making them harder and more frequent, I found a gynocologist who helped me. She prescribed Effexor and we've found the dosage that is right. I only have 3 or 4 a day now. That's bearable. Here's one right now! I was 47 at natural menopause and 57 at dx of breast cancer a year ago.
    ~~Connie~~
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

joke
    I'm not looking for sympathy here, but I want to set the record straight. Hot flashes can last the rest of your life. I've had them for 11 years. Turned to hormone replacement therapy after spending years waking up at night every 45 minutes. Was on Premarin for 4 years with some slight relief. Went off it when the study came out connecting them to a higher rate of breast cancer. Five years later I was diagnosed with DCIS. In those ensuing years I just suffered with it, calling it 'God's cruel joke on me.' But with Tamoxifen making them harder and more frequent, I found a gynocologist who helped me. She prescribed Effexor and we've found the dosage that is right. I only have 3 or 4 a day now. That's bearable. Here's one right now! I was 47 at natural menopause and 57 at dx of breast cancer a year ago.
    ~~Connie~~

Gynecologists may be better resources for hot flashes
    I think Connie brings up a good point -- our gynecologists may be better resources for help for hot flashes than our oncologists, since gynecologists have much more experience helping women with menopausal symptoms.

I'm only 41, so menopause is a long way off for me, and neither chemo nor Tamoxifen pushed me into it -- I'm still having very regular monthly visits from Aunt Flo. But the nighttime hot flashes started almost immediately after starting the Tamoxifen.

When I mentioned them to my gynecologist, she immediately talked about both Effexor and gabapentin as things we could try if I want to. I'm not there yet, but I know I feel like I'm handling them a little better knowing that there are options for me if I choose to try them somewhere down the line.

Traci
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Oncologists do not care for hot flashes
    they care about more serious and life threatening side effects of Chemo drugs. I am sorry ladies, unfortunately Chemo drugs have induced menopause, and instead of gradual declining in estrogen production it has been stopped suddenly by one or two treatments. It will be better by time.
    Hugs

I didn't have chemo, so, I
    I didn't have chemo, so, I haven't had any hot flashes YET. Hoping you get some comfort soon.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hot Flashes
    My Oncologise was very sympathic towards my explanation of hot flashes. I just told him I needed something to keep me from running butt **** naked through the woods on a full moon and howling the whole way. He took me seriously. I have been on Paxil since 2002 and have kept the hot flashes at bay. Since I no longer have all the organs needed to have children and a hole in my boob I don't worry about the side effects of Paxil. Just a thought.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options

Hot Flashes
    My Oncologise was very sympathic towards my explanation of hot flashes. I just told him I needed something to keep me from running butt **** naked through the woods on a full moon and howling the whole way. He took me seriously. I have been on Paxil since 2002 and have kept the hot flashes at bay. Since I no longer have all the organs needed to have children and a hole in my boob I don't worry about the side effects of Paxil. Just a thought.

Heat Waves as my son would call them
    There horrible, but I too take Paxil and it was life saving for me, however my Onc perscribed Neurotin for them also but the Paxil took care of it for the most part.
    However I'm not sure how I would do without my fan.
    Stay cool sweetie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Gynecologists may be better resources for hot flashes
    I think Connie brings up a good point -- our gynecologists may be better resources for help for hot flashes than our oncologists, since gynecologists have much more experience helping women with menopausal symptoms.

I'm only 41, so menopause is a long way off for me, and neither chemo nor Tamoxifen pushed me into it -- I'm still having very regular monthly visits from Aunt Flo. But the nighttime hot flashes started almost immediately after starting the Tamoxifen.

When I mentioned them to my gynecologist, she immediately talked about both Effexor and gabapentin as things we could try if I want to. I'm not there yet, but I know I feel like I'm handling them a little better knowing that there are options for me if I choose to try them somewhere down the line.

Traci

I don't have hot flashes,
    I don't have hot flashes, but, some that I know take Effexor for them. Hoping something works for you.

Leeza
  • gracep
    gracep Member Posts: 2
    Options

Wow

hot flash cure for me
    After 10 years of horrendous hot flashes and hourly sweating profusely, after trying every herb, anti-depressant, accupuncture, stellate ganglion blocks, etc etc, my wonderful GP told me to try a combination of Paxil, gabapentin, and megetrol (having previously tried them singly). Bingo. I can get on with my life now.... Only have the sweats at night now, and fans help with that....

good luck to you all.
  • mariam_11_09
    Options
    I just got back from my

I just got back from my chit-chat with the Onc. He was much more sympathetic about my hot flashes and offered to give me something for them. I said I wanted to hold off for a week or so because they have in the last few days subsided considerably and I am sleeping much better. However I resume chemo again on Friday (12 weeks of Taxol and herceptin) so who knows what might happen and if the hot flashes come back with a vengance.

thanks for all the input gals. It was a great help!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

I just got back from my

I just got back from my chit-chat with the Onc. He was much more sympathetic about my hot flashes and offered to give me something for them. I said I wanted to hold off for a week or so because they have in the last few days subsided considerably and I am sleeping much better. However I resume chemo again on Friday (12 weeks of Taxol and herceptin) so who knows what might happen and if the hot flashes come back with a vengance.

thanks for all the input gals. It was a great help!

Glad your oncologist was
    Glad your oncologist was more sympathetic towards you and will give you something to help. Also happy that they have subsided for now Mariam. Keep us updated on how you are doing!