How do you deal with eatting after surgery

daughter kate
daughter kate Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
I am asking for my Dad. He has had everything go wrong since the start. Now the surgery is over, he has 2/3rds of his stomach left, he is finding that after 2 or 3 spoon fulls he is to the point of over full and it is not getting better.

Has anyone out there gone threw this and could give me some advice to pass on.

He would be so thankful to talk with someone that has gone threw what he has. Not that we would wish any of this on anyone.

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Eating after Surgery
    Kate,

Welcome to our group. You will find most of us here have had to learn a new way to eat post surgery.

I had a surgery (Ivor Lewis procedure)that sounds similar to the surgery your Dad has had. I found after surgery I became full after eating just a small amount of food. I also found that if I ate foods that were too high in sugar, drank to much liquid with my meals, or ate to fast or too much I got what is called "dumping syndrome". Dumping syndrome includes stomach cramps, nausea, dizziness, and diarrhea.

But the good news is with some careful dietary planning and a change in eating habits there can be a significant improvement in these symptoms.

I am including two web links below. The first is for a recommended diet to be used post esophageal surgery, the second is a diet to manage "dumping syndrome".

______________________________________________________________________________________
    Diet after Esophagectomy

http://www.upmc.com/HealthAtoZ/patienteducation/Documents/Esophagectomy.pdf

______________________________________________________________________________________

Dumping syndrome diet

http://www.upmc.com/HealthAtoZ/patienteducation/Documents/DumpingSynDiet.pdf

_______________________________________________________________________________________

These diets will encourage foods that are high in protein and low in simple carbohydrates. They suggest drinking minimal amounts of liquid with meals and then significant amounts of water or other liquids that are low in sugar a hour after meals.

I eat approximately six to eight times a day. I eat according to the clock because I am very seldom hungry. You will find other members of the group also use high calorie supplements like Boost or Carnation Instant Breakfast to provide extra calories. A warning about high calorie supplements, many members have found that they need to drink them a couple of ounces at a time rather than all at once to avoid dumping.

I hope these references and suggestions help.

Tell us some more about your Dad it will allow us to make better suggestions.

When was your Dad diagnosed. Did they give him some "staging information" Like Stage III or T3N1M0? When and were was his surgery completed? What was his weight prior to surgery and how much does he weigh now. How tall is he? How old is he?

Sorry to sound so nosy but this information helps us make better suggestions.

The good news is your Dad is typical. We have all been through this.

My private email is pauladams@wctel.net. If you would like to send along an email I would be happy to send along my contact information and talk to your Dad.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    AKA: "paul61"
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator