Options
2»

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

I feel the same way
    about Arimidex. The bottle's here. I finished rads today. I'm supposed to start. So worried, though, about all the side effects. I'm just fine right now. Why on earth would I want to pop a pill that could potentially make life ickky. BUT, it's supposed to reduce chance of recurrance, keep me free from more cancer so it's just part of the journey.

I'm starting Friday. Gotta at least try it, you know. Care to join me?

Victoria

Good luck to you Victoria on
    Good luck to you Victoria on Arimidex! Post to let us know how you do.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

Could it be "Raloxin"?

Could it be "Raloxin"?

no not unless that is the
    no not unless that is the generic, or is that the cure for chemo brain? Not kidding what I dont remember is so frustrating. anyway, I had to make an appointment with my dentist to make sure I had no issues as the "bone drug" can cause problems if you need dental work. (not cavities) but more extensive things.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    shaggy420 said:

Ok so is this a medication
    Ok so is this a medication everyone gets on after being diagnosed with BC? Or you have to go through chemo or radiation to be put on this? And what if I am already in menopause what will happen then? I was taken off my hormone pills and put on Pristiq for the hotflashes and nightsweats, doesn't seem to be helping much though. My poor kids are being freezed out of the house. lol.... I just keep reading about all these different meds people are on and I am confused if or when I would have to start taking any of these. My breast surgeon hasn't really told me about any medications, just that I might have to have chemo since I had a total hysterectomy when I was 32. But I won't know until the pathology report after surgery.

Good luck carkris! Let us
    Good luck carkris! Let us know how you do on tamoxifen.
  • marilynnL
    marilynnL Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Zometta
    The preventative bone drug for strengthening the bones after chemo is Zometa. You get is every 6 months IV for 3 years.
    I got BC at the end of 2008. I caught my large early by accident. It was surrounded wiht fibroids so I could really feel it one morning out of the blue, there it was. My mammogram center told me to watch and wait 3 months! I thought they were crazy. I had it removed simply by a local surgeon. Surprise! stage one BC and it was In Sitto( spelling that right? ) where the cells have moved out of the tumor. 2 more lumpectomies and chemo first, then I had a mastectomy. Good news though, I had too large floppy boobs but now they made the other match ( insurance pays for that) and they are so much better looking. All my neck and back pain disappeared with 3 pounds of breast. I had the Onca test on this cancer ( a MUST) and it was a #42 which means my cancer was very aggressive( #1- 12 is good) and I needed 4 rounds of chemo. On top of that, My older sister got the same diagnosis 3 months after me! she was on the pill for 20 years, and had a hysterectomy 8 years prior. I was never on the pill. no BC in our family! it's crazy!

I am now 55 years old. I was premenopausal before the adventure. I was on Tomoxifin and I opted for a hysterectomy a year later. I had a very bad uterus and it was full of polyps. My ovaries were cystic and I should have had it done earlier in my life. My mom had Ovarian cancer at the age of 46 ( she is 87 and still alive!)
    I am now on Arimidex. I just tried Femora, and my hand was in such pain like it was run over by a bicycle. Now my knees ache. I had to switch back.. still suffering. Nothing seems to help..I was a runner and used to run 3 miles a day.. Goodbye to that. I find if keep moving around its better although my husband says I am too restless at night. I used to sleep like a baby.. The chemo and surgeries were nothing compared to the debilitating pain throughout my body.. At least I am thankful I will remain alive . We got to do it.
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm on Tomoxofen
    I know how you feel. I did the same thing. I have been on it for 2 months and doing fine. My Mother was on it for 5 years and had no side effects. Hope this helps
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I have been on Tamoxifen 2 + yrs
    I have had very little issues with the med...i have been checked for thickening of the unterus which I Do have...had D & C and all ok for now...

I gained some weight...but unsure if from Tamoxifin and or steriods i was taking at the same as radiation treatment (for ulcertive colitus)

So all and all....no real issues or side effects
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

achy knees
    I have been on tamoxifen for only 3 months now and the achy knees are aweful. I have never had knee pain until after starting the tamoxifen.

aches and pains
    I JUST thought mine was I hit 50 yrs old...so maybe meds and age...mmmmm never thought of meds (tamoxifen) causing aches...good point..mmmm
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options

I have been on Tamoxifen 2 + yrs
    I have had very little issues with the med...i have been checked for thickening of the unterus which I Do have...had D & C and all ok for now...

I gained some weight...but unsure if from Tamoxifin and or steriods i was taking at the same as radiation treatment (for ulcertive colitus)

So all and all....no real issues or side effects

negative thought
    I hate being on tamoxifen. Now it is rare that you hear me be negative, but, I hate being on tamoxifen. my doctors are blaming tamoxifen for every ache and pain i have. I went from riding my bike (peddle type) 20 to 30 miles a week wencing every time i have to use the stairs in my house. I want my old active life back boy am i whiny today or what sorry
    tj
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    chipoo said:

I just started taking
    I just started taking Tamoxifen 2 weeks ago and so far I don't notice any side effects. You may not get any side effects from it. My thought is, I will do anything I can to prevent my cancer from coming back.

monitor
    I was told to closely monitor with ob/gyn for thickening of uterus...i had first test last year all ok..this year there was thinkening (been on tamox for just over 2 yrs) they did D & C...all ok for now..(if issue surgery)

They say pros out weigh the cons..!