IP

Options
tmc576
tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Just wondering what makes someone a good candidate for IP? Wondering if this may be an option for my mom, and what questions to possibly ask the doctor.

Thanks!

Tracey

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I think physical strength & no co-morbidities.
    You need to be otherwise (i.e. other than having cancer) healthy usually to be offered IP chemo. It's so often effective, but is a harsh chemo to get through I'm told.
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Protocol
    I'm sure your mom would need to be in a good, stable physical state. A lot may depend on the doctor's comfort with IP therapy! It's worth asking about it, and what her doctor thinks about it. It was proposed by my oncologist before my surgery, and the IP port was placed during the surgery.

Good luck!

Sue
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Protocol
    I'm sure your mom would need to be in a good, stable physical state. A lot may depend on the doctor's comfort with IP therapy! It's worth asking about it, and what her doctor thinks about it. It was proposed by my oncologist before my surgery, and the IP port was placed during the surgery.

Good luck!

Sue

The downside to starting IP
    The downside to starting IP chemo and not being able to tolerate it, according to my Doctor, is that you are then looking at a delay in starting IV therapy, because they have to get you back up to "par", so to speak, after being knocked down by the IP trial.

Only your mom's doctor can answer your question, but my doctor would not give me IP chemo because I had such a tough time during my initial surgery - 16 days in the hospital, 2 units of blood, and ended up on TPN feedings because I could not keep food/drink down.

Carlene
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    IP chemo
    Hi Tracey, it seems that IP chemo is a preference for some docs and not for others. My doctor's comment when I asked about it, after my initial debulk, "Why put you through that if I don't have to?" He feels that IV is just as effective and the risk of harsher side effects are not worth it. But, some women sail through IP and do fine. So, who knows? Bottom line, you have to go with what your doctor recommends, but. I always ask lot's of questions regardless of what he says, so I can go into the treatment, whatever it is, knowing all the options, possible side effects etc. etc.
    Take care,
    kathleen
  • tmc576
    tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies
    I will see if my mom would like to talk to the dr about it, but since she is not in the best health, it sounds like it might not be the right way to go.
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Never offered to me
    It was never offered to me. It may have to do with the amount of disease or the age of the patient. I like my shoulder port. The IP is harder on the body, I understand. Saundra