CPT11

bdee
bdee Member Posts: 304
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My CEA was up again for the eighth time in a row. It is up to 8.4 now so the onc decided to add CPT 11 to my Avastin, 5FU, and my Flolic Acid. He was telling me to expect early onset diarrhea, but didn't say a thing about nausea. I am so sick again, just like when I was on oxy. I don't want to move, I don't want to eat and everything I've tried to drink comes right back up. Hey, but no diarrhea.
Can anyone help? I take Ativan for the nausea because Phenegran makes me sick and really drags me down.

Thanks,
Debbie in Arkansas

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Sorry!
    I haven't done it, so don't have any good advice. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and sorry it's so rough.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    tootsie1 said:

Sorry!
    I haven't done it, so don't have any good advice. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and sorry it's so rough.

*hugs*
    Gail

They
    Gave you chemo with no anti-nausea meds??? are they crazy?? of course nausea is right up there with the diarrhea, and I'd rather have that be sick.

Please tell them to put you on Emend, dexamethasone, Zofran and compazine. I take all those pills, and never feel sick from my chemo. Maybe a lil queasy here and there, but got good ole maryjane for that, I hope you feel better next time, they need to give you more for the sickness.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    No drugs worked for me....
    So, I sipped ginger ale (with sugar...NOT diet), and coke (cocacola...not the other...lol!)

I ate VERY small bites...more like a nibble...whenever I felt hungry.

Licorice (sp?) is great to suck on, and also gives relief.

Hugs, Kathi
  • bdee
    tootsie1 said:

Sorry!

*hugs*
    Gail

Thanks, Gail
    It is always good to know you have people thinking about you when you are going through this.

Debbie
  • bdee
    Shayenne said:

They
    Gave you chemo with no anti-nausea meds??? are they crazy?? of course nausea is right up there with the diarrhea, and I'd rather have that be sick.

Please tell them to put you on Emend, dexamethasone, Zofran and compazine. I take all those pills, and never feel sick from my chemo. Maybe a lil queasy here and there, but got good ole maryjane for that, I hope you feel better next time, they need to give you more for the sickness.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Donna
    I get plenty of pre-meds: Aloxi, Phenegren, Previcid, Ativan and two shots of Atriphin before I even start the chemo drugs. I only have Ativan at home to take for nauseau. So you think I should ask for the ones you mentioned to take at home? Do you take CPT 11?

Debbie
  • bdee
    KathiM said:

No drugs worked for me....
    So, I sipped ginger ale (with sugar...NOT diet), and coke (cocacola...not the other...lol!)

I ate VERY small bites...more like a nibble...whenever I felt hungry.

Licorice (sp?) is great to suck on, and also gives relief.

Hugs, Kathi

Thanks, Kathi
    I've tried the Ginger Ale, but it was diet because I'm diabetic and I've never really cared for coke. I will need to keep something I can eat in bed by me because just the process of getting up make me sick.

Thanks,
    Debbie
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    bdee said:

Donna
    I get plenty of pre-meds: Aloxi, Phenegren, Previcid, Ativan and two shots of Atriphin before I even start the chemo drugs. I only have Ativan at home to take for nauseau. So you think I should ask for the ones you mentioned to take at home? Do you take CPT 11?

Debbie

anti-emetics
    definitely ask for some to take at home! The premeds work great for day 1, and sometimes day 2, but you need something after that, obviously, since you are still dealing with nausea. I agree with Donna, Emend-decadron combo worked great for me! I also had phenergan on hand, which is good for putting you to sleep as well as controlling nausea. None of the "non-drowsy" meds really did the trick for my nausea (Zofran, Kytril to name a few).
    mary
  • bdee
    msccolon said:

anti-emetics
    definitely ask for some to take at home! The premeds work great for day 1, and sometimes day 2, but you need something after that, obviously, since you are still dealing with nausea. I agree with Donna, Emend-decadron combo worked great for me! I also had phenergan on hand, which is good for putting you to sleep as well as controlling nausea. None of the "non-drowsy" meds really did the trick for my nausea (Zofran, Kytril to name a few).
    mary

Thanks, Mary
    I'm going to ask for some of these next time. Phenergan is on hand, but really makes me more nauseated. I leaves a taste in my mouth that really makes me feel sick.

Thanks, again,
    Debbie
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Ginger capsules to supplement
    It's been reported in various journals that taking ginger capsules (1 capsule twice/day) in addition to the anti-nauseants increases their effectiveness. I've heard that it is best to start the ginger 3 days before chemo.

You can google "chemo and ginger" to see the research.
  • bdee
    abrub said:

Ginger capsules to supplement
    It's been reported in various journals that taking ginger capsules (1 capsule twice/day) in addition to the anti-nauseants increases their effectiveness. I've heard that it is best to start the ginger 3 days before chemo.

You can google "chemo and ginger" to see the research.

Thanks, Abrub
    I take Ginger capsules three days before and two days after, they just didn't work with this new chemo.

Debbie in Arkansas

P.S. I also have Appendiceal Cancer, Stage IV, and have been told I have, at the best, five years to live. I'm so glad to read about someone who has actually beaten this kind of cancer. Maybe they caught your tumor faster than mine.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    If you Can
    smoke pot. Works like a charm
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Ativan worked for me.
    It was

Ativan worked for me.

It was a miracle drug.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Ativan worked for me.
    It was

Ativan worked for me.

It was a miracle drug.

A Question Jen
    Can you smoke it?
    ;-)
  • bdee
    PhillieG said:

If you Can
    smoke pot. Works like a charm

Phill
    Tried that while taking oxi and not being able to eat. Didn't do a thing but burn my lungs.

Thanks,
    Debbie
  • bdee

Ativan worked for me.
    It was

Ativan worked for me.

It was a miracle drug.

Ativan
    That is what I have been taking and took all day Tuesday. It didn't work at all this time.

Thanks,
    Debbie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    PhillieG said:

A Question Jen
    Can you smoke it?
    ;-)

From our resident smoke-head....
    I am laughing soooooo hard!!!

Hugs, Kathi