Hospice Care for Pain Management

Options
Missmel77
Missmel77 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone ever heard of Hospice coming in to help someone with pain management if there was no indication there is limited time left for that person?
My mom has Breast Cancer that has spread to the bone, and has determined to not pursue anymore medical treatments- just to live out the rest of her life.
Her doctor suggested that Hospice come in and help her gain some strength to be able to do the necesary paperwork to prepare for the inevitable. They kept assuring her that it was not for the "end of her life" but to strengthen her. Is there any truth to that?

Any ideas or experience with Hospice that can shed some light on the situation?

Melody

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi, Melody. I previously
    Hi, Melody. I previously used Hospice when my husband was terminally ill with mesotheliomia. They are typically called in, if requested, when the patient has a prognosis of 6 months or less to live. I do know that pain management is one of their services. My experience with them was 20 years ago and it's very possible that their requirements and services they offer have changed over all the years. Good luck with your mom and I hope she does get any pain she is experiencing under control. Take care.
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    care for pain management
    My father had cancer, and when he decided to not have treatment, they sent him someone from hospise. They were so very helpful to our family. They will help prepare your family in many ways. They explained to my dad feelings that he was having(he had Pancreatic cancer that went to his liver) helped him with his meds, helped my mom and family in explaining the care that he needed, or would need, also they helped arrange for a hospital bed, bath items that he needed at the end of his journey with cancer. They were so caring, and understanding of what our family went through. I can't say enough to the help that he had. Mary
  • Missmel77
    Missmel77 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Melody. I previously
    Hi, Melody. I previously used Hospice when my husband was terminally ill with mesotheliomia. They are typically called in, if requested, when the patient has a prognosis of 6 months or less to live. I do know that pain management is one of their services. My experience with them was 20 years ago and it's very possible that their requirements and services they offer have changed over all the years. Good luck with your mom and I hope she does get any pain she is experiencing under control. Take care.

Thank you
    Interestingly, the packet of information that my parents received when Hospice came the first time is about 60 pages and it talks about how to prepare for the loss of a loved one. It is all about the End of Life, and does not indicate just help for pain management. I think my suspicions about how much time I have with my mom are correct, her lifespan is a lot shorter than I thought.
    I just wonder if the doctor's are trying to be careful in what they say to avoid any kind of malpractice (it seems they don't really know how much time my mom has).

I just hope she does get some of the pain to go away so she can get her affairs in order before things get too bad.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    up to a year
    Dear Melody,

We had Hospice care for my mom last year. My understanding (and I may be wrong b/c so much was going on at that time) was that they would come in for up to a year. If mom lived longer than that, we needed some documentation from a doctor that they (Hospice) were still needed. When Hospice first came out, they needed documentation of what was going on with mom, in essence, why they were needed.

They were kind, compassionate, and walked with us every step of the way. They're there to help YOU, the caregiver as well as your mother.

Bless you,
    dh
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options

up to a year
    Dear Melody,

We had Hospice care for my mom last year. My understanding (and I may be wrong b/c so much was going on at that time) was that they would come in for up to a year. If mom lived longer than that, we needed some documentation from a doctor that they (Hospice) were still needed. When Hospice first came out, they needed documentation of what was going on with mom, in essence, why they were needed.

They were kind, compassionate, and walked with us every step of the way. They're there to help YOU, the caregiver as well as your mother.

Bless you,
    dh

one more thing...
    Mel,

there is a caregivers board on the cancer survivor's network. You may find some helpful information there, as well.

I'm praying for you and your family as you go through this most difficult time.
    dh
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

one more thing...
    Mel,

there is a caregivers board on the cancer survivor's network. You may find some helpful information there, as well.

I'm praying for you and your family as you go through this most difficult time.
    dh

My understanding with
    My understanding with hospice is you must be terminal and about 6 months left to live. However my Mom lived 18 months and hospice did not leave us.