Hospital advocacy

Options
HICA12192010
HICA12192010 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
my parent has stage 4 gastric CA, not able to eat/drink on TPN in hospital. the doctors are not listening to the patient/family's suggestions or desires. they told us we could go somewhere else to find care and that it's costing $5000 per day in the hospital and the chief doctor is being hounded. we have medicare.

it's so terrible that loved one is so sick, and we work hard caregiving, then the doctors who are supposed to provide healing are threatening the family. just wanted to talk to someone b/c i'm so disturbed about the unethical behavior and sad for my dad who is fighting for his life. CA fighters are heroes, why throw them to the curb?

Comments

• mdnikki
    mdnikki Member Posts: 34
    Options
    First, I am so sorry you are
    First, I am so sorry you are going through this. My mother had medicare as well but the only time we felt we were getting pushed from the hospital setting is when she wasn't getting medical treatment. They said she can get chemo in an outpatient setting and if they aren't physically treating her symptoms that they can't keep her...at one point they transferred her to rehab since she was not strong enough to start her chemo.
    Anyway she ended up back in the hospital a few weeks later due to infections she contracted at rehab.

I am just curious and you may not want to give details but why are they saying you have to go elsewhere. Do you want a different kind of treatment than they offer?

I know the social workers where my mom was were horrible. I guess they are understaffed at the hospital but my sister and I had to do all the legwork with no help from the facility.

I wish I could be of more help but I am just confused as to why they are harrassing you.
  • GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Why I am afraid
    of a single payer system. Even with the "Obamacare" plan now if you have a pre-existing condition, you have to be un-insured for 6 months before you can apply for the state pool. How many people will go without treatment and die during that 6 months?