Soooo tired

Options
anniem123
anniem123 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have been on chemo for 5 weeks now and I am so tired. I start to do something and I get out of breath and exhausted. I could probably just sleep and sleep and sleep. I am only 44. Does anyone else have or had this problem and if yes what did you do?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I slept. If you need the
    I slept. If you need the sleep, sleep. Your body needs more rest on chemo. Some people do better than others. Some people say they exercised but I couldn't.
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Sleep
    I have never been a napper, but all through chemo and radiation I napped every Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Not just a cat nap, I'm talking about a deep (much needed!) sleep.

Listen to your body!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    EXTREMELY NORMAL
    What you describe is extremely normal during chemo and rads, your body is fighting off a nasty attack and the drugs that help us fight also tend to exhaust us. Be kind to yourself and sleep when you need it, it won't be forever just for right now. I was 40 when I first had bc and I was in treatment for almost 2 years, I slept more than I had before or have since. I was so exhausted I had to rest on my neighbors lawns on the way to the mailbox which is just across the street and down 4 houses. Rest when you need with the knowledge it is another weapon you have against cancer, sleep helps to revive us.

Hugs,

RE
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Yup! Sooooo tired too!
    I was 56 when I was going through chemo and could not believe how tired I was! I am someone who does not know the meaning of the word quit, so it was quite a shock for me to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. I learned to listen to my body and not expect too much from myself. I am happy to say that these last couple of weeks I am feeling a lot more like myself and enjoying that my energy level has picked up!

Oh yeah, I can't stress this enough. . . be sure to keep your body hydrated! Drink LOTS of water, it really does help ; )
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Anniem123
    Like everyone said, I think the fatigue is a pretty common complaint. I have been pretty good without having to take naps (except for the couple of days after chemo) but usually am in bed earlier at night or at least just resting and reading. The one thing I did find as I got farther into chemo is that I would develop a lot of fatigue in my legs on weeks 2 and 3. The only thing I found that seemed to help with that was getting on my stationary bicyle and going for a while. I don't push for any resistance but the movement does seem to help to reduce those symptoms at least. Good luck!!

Chris
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Pretty weary
    People have told me about a friend who played soccer throughout her chemo and one that just returned to full-time work in the middle of her chemo. I'm happy for them, but I couldn't do that. I hope people realize that everyone is different and some get smacked harder than others.

Rest, rest, rest. Of course, make sure you are eating healthfully. When you can, a short, slow walk might start helping your energy level. But for now, your body is begging for sleep to power its fight and that's okay. G'night!
  • anniem123
    anniem123 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    tired
    Thank you everyone for your comments. It makes me feel so much better that others have the same problem. This is a wonderful forum.
  • grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
    Options
    anniem123 said:

tired
    Thank you everyone for your comments. It makes me feel so much better that others have the same problem. This is a wonderful forum.

This is my 3rd round of AC
    This is my 3rd round of AC and i am so tired i had my treatment on Friday and sun,mon and tues i am in bed all day sleeping then go to bed and sleep all night ,and by Wed i am starting to regain a little strength. It is getting really hard trying to work full time and try to get through the day.I am glad to see Thursday come I get back to being a little normal by then. I am doing a research trial with 3 more AC to do but I am getting so tired I am thinking about dropping the research trial so I could have one more treatment left of Ac instead of 3 I will be talking to my ONC to see what my options are. I hve no appetite and lost 12 lb so far everything has a bad smell as well as taste.
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    Options
    the sleep queen
    I call my self the sleep queen, I sleep all the time when i say all the time i am in bed at 9pm sleep to 1pm and then back to sleep at 3pm for an 2hour nap.i have talked to my doctor about it so many times all he says is that my body is needing this rest.i hate it i feel bad most of the time no pain body just feeling run down.dont know what i can do to feel any better.most days i dont want to eat dont like the way food taste or smell so i dont eat i have gone from a size 16 to a size 12.my skin feels moist some days, to make a long story short most days i feel like shi*.if anyone knows anything that would help please let me know..thank you ...girl power