Herbal supplements after chemo

Options
Tina Brown
Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I am 8 weeks post chemotherapy now hurray :) I would like some advise on whether to take supplements or not. I've asked my Oncologist and he was a bit vague and non committal and said "just for the short term". I was a bit confused by his answer and thought afterwards he may have thought I wanted to go back on HRT.

So therefore I was wondering if anyone is taking supplements that are "natural" in origin? Surely they can only do you good? I think that my body has been bombarded with poison since Dec 09 and I would like to pamper it a little by taking supplements to help it heal.

The things I have in mind are: promote hair growth, something to help with the hot flashes, my skin texture seems to have altered and is very dry, vaginal dryness and dry eyes.

Tina xx

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HI, TINA
    I'm all for supplements, natural products, etc. However, there are certain ones that as an OVCA patient you need to stay away from. Some of these are Black Cohosh, Red Clover, flaxseed, to name a few. These encourage estrogen production, and as we've talked earlier on the board, not a good choice for us. I know you're concerned about the hot flashes, etc., but there is very little we can use to change that. As far as herbs, I have more of a list that I can elaborate on if you'd like.

The theory also is that if you take any antioxidant formulas during chemo, it defeats the purpose. Chemo is basically an oxidant to attack the cancer cells. Taking an antioxidant (in theory) nullifies the effect of the chemo.

There is one item in particular that I take that you may want to research further. It's called AHCC mushroom. It is a mushroom extract formulated in Japan (AHCC is patented) and is very effective in boosting your 'killer cells'. Without these, your body has little defense against diseases such as cancer. When I first had a blood test for killer cells, my count was virtually non-existent. After about 2 months of AHCC, my killer cells got to a very good range. Vitamin D also is very important. It fights against inflammation, and is documented to be anti-cancer.

These are just a few of the supplements I take. You may want to research it more. But if you have any other questions as to my experience with them, I'd be happy to let you know.

Have a great day! So glad to hear chemo is over! YAY!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • Karen9182
    Karen9182 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Nature's Way
    Hey Tina,
    I love finding your posts. I too have even beginning my search for a more holistic way of living my life post chemo/cancer. I have just started looking for a Naturopathic . I have not found one in the area who is specifically recommended, but I have heard good things about naturopaths I general. On the mushrooms: My old college room mate is an acupuncturist in SF and also uses many Asian herbs in her practice. I am nervous to try anything while I am on chemo-- heard a story from one nurse about green tea having the ability to negate one kind of breast cancer chemo drug. Once the chemo is over for me, I'll be willing to try more complimentary therapies. A couple weeks after my first three cycles (before.surgery) I was taking something called c/r (chemo/radiation) support and am back on green tea. I start IP chemo (taxol/cisplatin) next week so the tea, mushrooms and C/R support will go back on the shelf until after the "western" treatments are completed. I have been doing acupuncture and have found it has been helpful with digestion/gas pain, nausea and energy. I always take a multi, a D and a natural organic laxitive. Those I will keep. I know there is a "natural tears" eye drop out there, decent skin lotions and drinking plenty plenty, plenty of water can never hurt. Good luck and post if you find some groovy healing herbs.
    Best o luck to ya!
    Karen
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hi Tina,
    Since my doctor

Hi Tina,

Since my doctor started me on Celexa (anti depressant) I've had a SIGNIFICANT lessening of hot flashes. Almost none! I hadn't realized it until my husband told me he missed teasing me about my "personal summers." I realize this isn't the herbal remedy you were asking about, but I'm a bit suspicious of those, simply because there's usually not enough research about how they interact with other medications and the cancer.

Wish I could help you more!

Hugs!

Leesa
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

HI, TINA
    I'm all for supplements, natural products, etc. However, there are certain ones that as an OVCA patient you need to stay away from. Some of these are Black Cohosh, Red Clover, flaxseed, to name a few. These encourage estrogen production, and as we've talked earlier on the board, not a good choice for us. I know you're concerned about the hot flashes, etc., but there is very little we can use to change that. As far as herbs, I have more of a list that I can elaborate on if you'd like.

The theory also is that if you take any antioxidant formulas during chemo, it defeats the purpose. Chemo is basically an oxidant to attack the cancer cells. Taking an antioxidant (in theory) nullifies the effect of the chemo.

There is one item in particular that I take that you may want to research further. It's called AHCC mushroom. It is a mushroom extract formulated in Japan (AHCC is patented) and is very effective in boosting your 'killer cells'. Without these, your body has little defense against diseases such as cancer. When I first had a blood test for killer cells, my count was virtually non-existent. After about 2 months of AHCC, my killer cells got to a very good range. Vitamin D also is very important. It fights against inflammation, and is documented to be anti-cancer.

These are just a few of the supplements I take. You may want to research it more. But if you have any other questions as to my experience with them, I'd be happy to let you know.

Have a great day! So glad to hear chemo is over! YAY!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika

killer cells
    Hi Monika, I'm curious where you get a blood test to check on killer cells, and what they are exactly. I live in Japan, and have yet to find a product like AHCC, although I do see many different kinds of mushrooms (I try to incorporate them whenever I can) at the grocery store. Do you get your AHCC online?
    Thanks,
    kathleen
  • Karen9182
    Karen9182 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

I agree
    It almost seems that the HRT I was taking ( and now regretting) just held the flashes at bay. Once off them, the flashes were back. They are already subsiding now. Are you happy with your naturopath?