Gemzar and Campto?

Options
sanam
sanam Member Posts: 106
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello everybody
I am new to this network and I am here for my Mom.
This is american cancer society and I am coming from another part of the world so maybe treatments and protocols are diffrent here.As far as I was reading posts and discussion I was able to find so manyt hings in common except my Mom's current chemo regime.
She was diagnosed in December 2009 with ascites which turned to be ovarian cancer.She had 6 rounds of Carbo/taxol and her CA125 decresed from 1200 to 36.Then she had the debulking surgery 2 weeks ago.After we recieved the pathology report ,we were informed that there are still microscopic cells to deal with.So they put her on Gemzar/Campto regime which I was not able to find any info about this combination.I wish to know if anybody has any info about it.
I was reading your discussions and I am amazed by all this love and caring.I wish you all good health and love you all.

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Gemzar/Carbo?
    Do you mean carbo? I just started on Gemzar and Carbo. I only had the Gemzar so far. My regimen is day one: gemzar, day 14: gemzar/carbo then 2 weeks off. Does your mom have a similar schedule? I've only had the Gemzar thus far. NO side effects. I felt a bit yucky the next day but that was it. It is supposed to be really hard on the blood levels: wbc, rbc and platelets. I already bottomed out after one infusion. I've never had this before. My oncologist did say she gave me a slightly higher dose because I am young, healthy and able to tolerate it. I had to get a shot of neupogen (sp?) and return in 2 days to see if my levels went up. I will also have to get the standard dose, she will not give me an elevated dose anymore. Day after the chemo I felt a bit yucky but now I feel fine. Hopefully this regimen will work!
  • sanam
    Options
    nancy591 said:

Gemzar/Carbo?
    Do you mean carbo? I just started on Gemzar and Carbo. I only had the Gemzar so far. My regimen is day one: gemzar, day 14: gemzar/carbo then 2 weeks off. Does your mom have a similar schedule? I've only had the Gemzar thus far. NO side effects. I felt a bit yucky the next day but that was it. It is supposed to be really hard on the blood levels: wbc, rbc and platelets. I already bottomed out after one infusion. I've never had this before. My oncologist did say she gave me a slightly higher dose because I am young, healthy and able to tolerate it. I had to get a shot of neupogen (sp?) and return in 2 days to see if my levels went up. I will also have to get the standard dose, she will not give me an elevated dose anymore. Day after the chemo I felt a bit yucky but now I feel fine. Hopefully this regimen will work!

Campto
    Hi Nancy
    Thanks for your reply.Actually it is not Carboplatin it is exactly Campto!
    I googled and I found out that it is first line treatment for colorectal cancer.
    She will take both together and after 14 days she will get the next round.The oncologist told me that each 2 sessions count as one dose.
    According to the surgeon and also the tumor markers she had nothig in her intestines.
    I stayed with her and she is doing fine.she only has some cramps and she was rushing to bathroom the whole day.
    Generally she was very healthy before cancer and she tolerated the first line chemo very well.
    I pray for you and I hope you get well and this regimen work for you.
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    sanam said:

Campto
    Hi Nancy
    Thanks for your reply.Actually it is not Carboplatin it is exactly Campto!
    I googled and I found out that it is first line treatment for colorectal cancer.
    She will take both together and after 14 days she will get the next round.The oncologist told me that each 2 sessions count as one dose.
    According to the surgeon and also the tumor markers she had nothig in her intestines.
    I stayed with her and she is doing fine.she only has some cramps and she was rushing to bathroom the whole day.
    Generally she was very healthy before cancer and she tolerated the first line chemo very well.
    I pray for you and I hope you get well and this regimen work for you.

We have all been there.
    Keep us posted. I know that chemo for other cancers are sometimes used in ovarian. Haven't heard of Campto but I will watch to see how successful your mother is with it. Maybe you are teaching us a new one. Thanks for posting. Sounds like she is having good results so far. Saundra
  • sanam
    Options
    saundra said:

We have all been there.
    Keep us posted. I know that chemo for other cancers are sometimes used in ovarian. Haven't heard of Campto but I will watch to see how successful your mother is with it. Maybe you are teaching us a new one. Thanks for posting. Sounds like she is having good results so far. Saundra

Thanks Saundra.
    So far so

Thanks Saundra.
    So far so good!
    I will keep you posted on the results.
    Her procedure has some similarities with you as she had chemo first and then she went through surgery.Love you
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    hugs
    tried to reply yesterday but puter was giving me trouble. I have not had campto but many of us here have had gemzar with something. I am so glad you found this board and look forward to getting to know you and hearing how the campto does. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • sanam
    Options
    BonnieR said:

hugs
    tried to reply yesterday but puter was giving me trouble. I have not had campto but many of us here have had gemzar with something. I am so glad you found this board and look forward to getting to know you and hearing how the campto does. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie for your warm
    Thanks Bonnie for your warm welcome.My prayers are with you as well.Love
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome Sanam,
    I've been

Welcome Sanam,

I've been away for a while .. dancing with NED (No Evidence of Disease) Yippeee!

I'm a stage IV ovca survivor for over 3 years now.

Sorry we had to meet you this way, but you are welcome.

The ladies on this board are a phenomenal group of friends who are very helpful and we will gladly help you and your mother with any questions you may have to make navigating through this journey easier.

Many prayers to you,

Sharon