Not Feeling so hot, but just got back from a Vacation trip

Caballero38
Caballero38 Member Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi All,

Thank you all for your post and warm wishes. I'm sorry I haven't posted much here. I get very tired and my mind starts to wonder when I start typing. So, I'll try not to babble. I don't know if I mentioned us we're going to the Grand Canyon as kind of a Bucket list trip. The Grand Canyon is a place I have not yet been to and ever since I was a little boy I’ve wanted Togo.

Well, we rented an RV and headed out east to Arizona, despite the controversy of the stopping of vehicles to ask for legal documentation. I won't get into any opinion I may or may not have on the matter.
So we drove of with 11 of us, my brother and his wife, Ricardo and Lily, his four kids, Omar, Ricky, Andres, and Alonso. My Daughter, Leslie, My other two nephews, Raul Jr. and Vanessa and my Mother Pina & myself eleven

I rented a mobile scooter to make it easier on me to travel and it worked. I loved that thing. Made it a lot easier to move around and see all that I wanted to see. I was not limited at all.

We went to the Grand Canyon, stayed about an hour away at a campsite where all the kids went wild in the pool (indoor) I may add. The ladies did stay in a hotel room the second night. The RV was a little cramp and I understood they needed a little more privacy than what we could give them...

After a few days we took my nephew Omar, who is still in school to the airport to get back in time for a class, and then we drove to Las Vegas and Stayed there for a couple of Days.

I love playing table games and often find myself lost and forgetting all my problems there. So I played quite a bit, had a lot of fun. I did however develop a new type of pain.

This new pain was on the tissue. I started on my hip and went all the way to my armpit.
At the same time, I was using more pain medication than I had anticipated because of this new pain. Well, to make a long sorry short, I decided to fly home early. So I called my nurse and told her the situation and she arranged for delivery of my pain medication on the day I arrived.

So back home now, with my new pain and enough medication, I've been working with my doctors to figure out what it is. We'll have to wait...

In the mean time, I have some sort of stomach flu and it’s not pretty. Ay ay ay...

So that's the lasted on my end. My feet are swollen, and I have stomach flu. I walk funny, with my neck crooked seems I loose my balance if I don't hold my head so I hold my head when I'm not on the scooter, and even when I'm on the scooter, I hold my head too.

Well, just wanted to vent a little, and tell you my story. Not really vent, per say. Tell you I really had a good time, but I hate this new pain. Seems the cancer that mets to the bones is al tissue related too. hmmmm. I don't know what to expect in the future you know what I mean???

Sincerely,

Luis Rodriguez
Caballero38

PS Sorry if I babbled.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

glad you got the trip in!!
    Lou,
    Sorry about the new pain and the stomach flu!!! Sometimes I think God should look around and pick on some criminals and give them this kind of crap!! But happy to hear you had fun at the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, love that place!!! You have so many things happening at once but you seem to be taking it in stride. Keep on trucking!! Hope they have an easy answer for that pain and what is causing it. many prayers and good thoughts heading your way. Stay strong, prayers always,
    Donna70
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    hey Luis---great to hear
    hey Luis---great to hear from you! Boy you are brave!!--going to grand canyon in an RV with 11 people! We have 4 kids and go camping in a med sized RV---can't imagine 11! Glad you went and did that. That new pain may have happened anyway and if oyu had waited, you may have not been able to tolerate such an adventure. I am glad you vented a little--it somehow releases a little stress or tension--maybe allowing your body to fight that pain a little better. We love to hear from you--and we all are worried about the future. Try to take it day by day. Hopefully the Dr's can find out wha this new pain is and treat it effectively--"know what I mean?"

I am smiling - seeing your sense of spirit and humor in your post--despite what you are going through! hang in there Luis!
    Kim
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hey Luis!
    So great to see

Hey Luis!
    So great to see your post. The Grand Canyon was where my husband and I went on our honeymoon. We went on a bus trip, canyonland tour, grand canyon being one of the ones we visited. We also went to Bryce, Zion, Lake Powell, and Las Vegas. Sounds like our trips were somewhat similar. It is beautiful country out there! Hmmm....11 people in an rv? I do not blame the ladies for wanting to stay in the hotel a couple of nights! Sounds like you had a good time and I am glad for that. Unfortunately you had to develop a new kind of pain. This is how this cancer is though. Do your best to fight it. Start to think of your quality of life. You can only do so much, and there does come a time when enough is enough. Remember, I just went through this with my dad. Continue to work on your bucket list. Do all you can with the time you have. Thanks again for giving us an update. We have been thinking of you and missing you. You can come here and babble anytime! God bless you and keep you through this difficult time of the journey. Peace be with you. Stay in touch when you can.
    Tina
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Your post was wonderful and
    Your post was wonderful and your trip sounds wonderful. I remember the first time I saw the grand canyon a few years ago. The majesty and wonder took my breath away and I was struck at the beauty of our world. I also was reminded of the power of God in his creation. Hopefully you were reminded of the hope and that miracles can occur and that attitude can have so much to do with how many days any of us have on this earth. You have a wonderful attitude and a zest for life. I look forward to hearing about other bucket list adventures . . .

Take care, keep in touch and I will keep you in my prayers.

Best,
    Cindy
  • Caballero38
    Caballero38 Member Posts: 35

Your post was wonderful and
    Your post was wonderful and your trip sounds wonderful. I remember the first time I saw the grand canyon a few years ago. The majesty and wonder took my breath away and I was struck at the beauty of our world. I also was reminded of the power of God in his creation. Hopefully you were reminded of the hope and that miracles can occur and that attitude can have so much to do with how many days any of us have on this earth. You have a wonderful attitude and a zest for life. I look forward to hearing about other bucket list adventures . . .

Take care, keep in touch and I will keep you in my prayers.

Best,
    Cindy

Thanks for your nice comments
    Thank you all for your comments, I am looking forward to making another trip. I am finished with my bucket list. I have done everything I’ve wanted to. Anything else will be just gravy.

I am hoping to be able to go to San Francisco for a wedding in June; we’ll see how that goes. I’ll keep you posted William^^.

Donna: I often say, “I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy” I believe God has his reasons. He will never give us a load we cannot carry. It is all for his purposes, we have to have faith that’s what it is.

Kim: It was packed with 11 people, but after a couple of days my eldest nephew left to go to school and at night they gave me the back room and I was comfortable. I think they were not as comfortable at all. After that we were left with 5 adults and 5 kids, well really just 3 and two teenagers. It was nice, because soon we went to Las Vegas were the kids spent most of the time in the pool and buffet lines.

Tina: I could imagine The Grand Canyon would have been a wonderful Honeymoon spot. I bet you had a great time and still remember it fondly.

Cindy: The Grand Canyon was a spiritual experience for me, even when we started planning for it. A lot of my family members open their hearts and wallets and donated the money to rent the RV so I can be comfortable. This whole experience has made me closed to my family and now I keep in touch with them more ofthen than before. We use Facebook and it is great

I will keep you all posted, thanks for letting me babble and vent. I am not feeling any better with my stomach, but I am being seen by my Doc and Nurse. I did get a new Medication for the “New” pain called Gabapentin. We’ll see how that goes in a week or so.

All of you take care and God Bless

Luis Rodriguez
  • mumphy
    mumphy Member Posts: 440

Thanks for your nice comments
    Thank you all for your comments, I am looking forward to making another trip. I am finished with my bucket list. I have done everything I’ve wanted to. Anything else will be just gravy.

I am hoping to be able to go to San Francisco for a wedding in June; we’ll see how that goes. I’ll keep you posted William^^.

Donna: I often say, “I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy” I believe God has his reasons. He will never give us a load we cannot carry. It is all for his purposes, we have to have faith that’s what it is.

Kim: It was packed with 11 people, but after a couple of days my eldest nephew left to go to school and at night they gave me the back room and I was comfortable. I think they were not as comfortable at all. After that we were left with 5 adults and 5 kids, well really just 3 and two teenagers. It was nice, because soon we went to Las Vegas were the kids spent most of the time in the pool and buffet lines.

Tina: I could imagine The Grand Canyon would have been a wonderful Honeymoon spot. I bet you had a great time and still remember it fondly.

Cindy: The Grand Canyon was a spiritual experience for me, even when we started planning for it. A lot of my family members open their hearts and wallets and donated the money to rent the RV so I can be comfortable. This whole experience has made me closed to my family and now I keep in touch with them more ofthen than before. We use Facebook and it is great

I will keep you all posted, thanks for letting me babble and vent. I am not feeling any better with my stomach, but I am being seen by my Doc and Nurse. I did get a new Medication for the “New” pain called Gabapentin. We’ll see how that goes in a week or so.

All of you take care and God Bless

Luis Rodriguez

Luiz
    Hey,

I'm so glad to hear from you!!!! I haven't been around much either. I am so glad that you made your trip and had such a good time!!!!! I am also so glad just to hear from you!!!

Thank you for letting us know how you are doing and please try to say Hi more often

God Bless,

Kath
  • mumphy said:

Luiz
    Hey,

I'm so glad to hear from you!!!! I haven't been around much either. I am so glad that you made your trip and had such a good time!!!!! I am also so glad just to hear from you!!!

Thank you for letting us know how you are doing and please try to say Hi more often

God Bless,

Kath

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Betty in Vegas
    Betty in Vegas Member Posts: 290 Member
    I wish I had known
    I would have driven to Arizona to see you! I am glad you enjoyed the trip, though you are a bit miserable now... You are always in our prayers. Always.
  • Hope_Faith
    Hope_Faith Member Posts: 150
    Nice trip ~
    Hi Luis,
    Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your trip. That was so very special of your family to put money together so that an RV could be rented for your comfort. I'm sure you all made some wonderful memories together :)
    Sorry to hear about your side hurting, but glad to hear that your new pain med's are taking care of it and that's great news!
    That's pretty cool you made a 'bucket list' and what a blessing it is to know you have been able to complete all the items on your list. Yay! This, I'm sure is making you feel more at peace.
    Thank you so much for letting us know how you've been doing.
    ~You're in my prayers~