A 3rd surgery

Options
slynch
slynch Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have already had bilateral mastectomy, a second surgery to repair tissue that was not healing on both sides, now I have a quarter-size spot that just will not heal so I am scheduled for outpatient surgery again to clean this spot up and sew it back up again. This is so frustating as they cannot put anything in my tissue expanders until we get this place healed up. Has this happened to anyone else? It has really set me back but I am still so thankful that the cancer is gone that I continually try to focus on that part of it.

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Slynch, I'm sorry that you
    Slynch, I'm sorry that you are having such a trying time. But, like you said, you are so thankful that the cancer is gone. That's the most important thing here. I didn't have reconstruction because I had a lumpectomy. Hang in there and hopefully soon you can begin the "fills" and be getting ready for your exchange surgery. When the waiting seems like forever, remember your words, and give thanks for the cancer being gone!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Wishing you a successful upcoming surgery and a quick recovery. Take care.
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    healing problems
    I had to have a second surgery to close up areas that did not heal well. The first surgery they used glue to hold everything together. The second the doctor used stitches. I also had expanders and the doctor said because of the expanders pushing on the inside it can make it harder to heal. I called my oncologist to explain about having to put off chemo until I healed and he had me come in and do a blood work up. He found that my protein levels were very low. He told me to get the powder kind of protein shake from a health food store that did not have a lot of sugar and to drink at least 2 a day. I also made sure it did not have soy in it. I use a whey kind. I mix mine with milk, yogurt and berries. It seemed to help. I healed up well and did not have to have anymore surgeries. My protein levels are still a little low, but they are in the normal range of low. I still drink one shake in the morning and try to eat as much protein as I can get each day. I am now going thru radiation and I want to do what I can to help my muscles where my expanders are to recover well. I hope this helps.
    rm22111
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Slynch, I'm sorry that you
    Slynch, I'm sorry that you are having such a trying time. But, like you said, you are so thankful that the cancer is gone. That's the most important thing here. I didn't have reconstruction because I had a lumpectomy. Hang in there and hopefully soon you can begin the "fills" and be getting ready for your exchange surgery. When the waiting seems like forever, remember your words, and give thanks for the cancer being gone!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Wishing you a successful upcoming surgery and a quick recovery. Take care.

I am sorry Slynch for all
    I am sorry Slynch for all that you are going thru. Praying for you!
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Going through the same experience
    Hi slynch,

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on March 1, 2010, and I had a Bilateral Mastectomy, along with the Tram Flap, about 4 weeks ago. I still can't sleep very well because of the tightness around my stomach, and I am still on antibiotics because of two horrible wounds that are just not healing fast enough. My reconstructive surgeon made me feel as if this complication was extremely rare, and I kept asking myself "why me?"!! I tried searching on line to find out why something like this happens, but there is not much information out there.

So now, I have to follow-up with my Surgeon every week, and it looks like the wounds are slowly shrinking, but since my Oncologist wants me to get started with the Chemo as soon as possible, the Surgeon has already mentioned that as soon as some of the swelling goes down, I will have to go back into the Operating room, to clean out and close up the wounds.

I'm just looking forward to the day that I can look in the mirror and not see all the battle wounds of this dreaded disease. We will get through this! Stay positive :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Going through the same experience
    Hi slynch,

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on March 1, 2010, and I had a Bilateral Mastectomy, along with the Tram Flap, about 4 weeks ago. I still can't sleep very well because of the tightness around my stomach, and I am still on antibiotics because of two horrible wounds that are just not healing fast enough. My reconstructive surgeon made me feel as if this complication was extremely rare, and I kept asking myself "why me?"!! I tried searching on line to find out why something like this happens, but there is not much information out there.

So now, I have to follow-up with my Surgeon every week, and it looks like the wounds are slowly shrinking, but since my Oncologist wants me to get started with the Chemo as soon as possible, the Surgeon has already mentioned that as soon as some of the swelling goes down, I will have to go back into the Operating room, to clean out and close up the wounds.

I'm just looking forward to the day that I can look in the mirror and not see all the battle wounds of this dreaded disease. We will get through this! Stay positive :)

Speedy recovery
    to both of you. Positive attitude has helped me. Complications with healing are not rare, unfortunately it happen to many patience. The standard recovery from Tram Flap 8 weeks.
    Hugs
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    rm22111 said:

healing problems
    I had to have a second surgery to close up areas that did not heal well. The first surgery they used glue to hold everything together. The second the doctor used stitches. I also had expanders and the doctor said because of the expanders pushing on the inside it can make it harder to heal. I called my oncologist to explain about having to put off chemo until I healed and he had me come in and do a blood work up. He found that my protein levels were very low. He told me to get the powder kind of protein shake from a health food store that did not have a lot of sugar and to drink at least 2 a day. I also made sure it did not have soy in it. I use a whey kind. I mix mine with milk, yogurt and berries. It seemed to help. I healed up well and did not have to have anymore surgeries. My protein levels are still a little low, but they are in the normal range of low. I still drink one shake in the morning and try to eat as much protein as I can get each day. I am now going thru radiation and I want to do what I can to help my muscles where my expanders are to recover well. I hope this helps.
    rm22111

Good luck with your surgery
    Good luck with your surgery and I hope that you heal up quickly. Praying for a speedy recovery for you so that you can move on.

Hugs, Leeza
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Speedy recovery
    to both of you. Positive attitude has helped me. Complications with healing are not rare, unfortunately it happen to many patience. The standard recovery from Tram Flap 8 weeks.
    Hugs

Sorry you and MORTIZ are
    Sorry you and MORTIZ are going thru this.It's bad enough having surgery, then when complications are involved it takes its toll on you on so many levels.
    You can drink the breakfast shakes(located with the cereals) peanut butter, and tuna are excellent sources of proteins.
    Hang in there wishing you the best.