Tamoxifen

Options
Cher2063
Cher2063 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just wondering if any of you on Tamoxifen are still having periods? Does this change over time? I started Tamoxifen in January and my periods are getting further apart. Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

Comments

• Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Still waiting
    Cher,

I've been on since February and I'm still getting my periods like clockwork (plus the hot flashes - BONUS!).

I'm still waiting for them to get further apart and/or stop completely. The amount your body metabolizes Tamoxifen will make a difference as to how your body reacts to it. I was an intermediate metabolizer which means it could help me or it could not. If you have an intermediate or low metabolizer level you may not see much of a difference with the time between periods - check with your doctor.
  • Piggies
    Piggies Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Tamoxifen Side Effects
    I started Tamoxifen November 2008. I was 44, had early stage 1 breast cancer, a lumpectomy, radiation and no chemo. My periods have always been irregular. However, since I've been on Tamoxifen they've never been so good or so regular. My gynecologist, oncologist, breast surgeon and radiation oncologist are amazed. I'm being told by all of them that the Tamoxifen usually stops your period. I have to say that I read on these boards every now and then about women taking Tamoxifen and having all sorts of issues. I am not in menopause, have no menopause symptons like hot flashes (from what I understand, if you have a hot flash you know it.) I've had some leg cramps at night and the occasional night sweat. All in all, I'm tolerating it well. I wish you the best!
  • Cher2063
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Still waiting
    Cher,

I've been on since February and I'm still getting my periods like clockwork (plus the hot flashes - BONUS!).

I'm still waiting for them to get further apart and/or stop completely. The amount your body metabolizes Tamoxifen will make a difference as to how your body reacts to it. I was an intermediate metabolizer which means it could help me or it could not. If you have an intermediate or low metabolizer level you may not see much of a difference with the time between periods - check with your doctor.

Still Waiting
    Hi Wolfi,

This is great information and really makes sense. I will ask about this.

Cher
  • Cher2063
    Options
    Piggies said:

Tamoxifen Side Effects
    I started Tamoxifen November 2008. I was 44, had early stage 1 breast cancer, a lumpectomy, radiation and no chemo. My periods have always been irregular. However, since I've been on Tamoxifen they've never been so good or so regular. My gynecologist, oncologist, breast surgeon and radiation oncologist are amazed. I'm being told by all of them that the Tamoxifen usually stops your period. I have to say that I read on these boards every now and then about women taking Tamoxifen and having all sorts of issues. I am not in menopause, have no menopause symptons like hot flashes (from what I understand, if you have a hot flash you know it.) I've had some leg cramps at night and the occasional night sweat. All in all, I'm tolerating it well. I wish you the best!

Tamoxifen Side Effects
    Thanks for sharing.
    Keep up the fight - Cher
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    tamoxiten
    I started in May, and have not quite been on it a month, and have had a period. My Dr. never mention that periods will stop, I guess I should ask him.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    ??
    I was chemo-induced menopause. I am 48 (49 in October) and had regular periods before chemo. I had 4 rounds of A/C and ever since then I have not had a period. I started Tamoxifen on April 6th, hot flashes every hour pretty much on the hour. I really don't expect my period to come back and if it does, I am supposed to call my Dr. who will most likely change my drug to Arimidex.