Post-FOLFOX vein pain

Options
abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I've found that since my FOLFOX treatments, my veins have been painful, such that having blood drawn or an IV placed (for CT scan, for example) is quite uncomfortable - separate from the "sticking" part, when the canula/needle is in place. One of my fears of my upcoming surgery is of how I'll tolerate an IV on an ongoing basis. I currently pre-treat for IVs with Lidoderm. My surgeon is talking about placing a central line once I'm "under" to avoid having to retain an IV.

Has anyone else noticed this side effect?

I also noticed yesterday that the veins in my hand were painful - if I touched the veins through the skin, I felt the inflammation. That has subsided today, so I haven't called a dr - don't know what caused the inflammation/burning feeling.

Just curious if I'm the only one out there....

(I know that others have shared some of my other less common side effects, like the intense jaw pain from oxaliplatin.)

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Port?
    Do you have a port? It sounds like you don't have one.
    If that's the case you may want to look into getting one, it makes things a lot easier. I have not had vein pain but I had a port installed prior to any treatments.
  • abrub
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Port?
    Do you have a port? It sounds like you don't have one.
    If that's the case you may want to look into getting one, it makes things a lot easier. I have not had vein pain but I had a port installed prior to any treatments.

Done with treatments
    I'm done with treatments - we didn't find out about this side effect until I needed an IV after completing my systemic chemo. My port has been gone almost 2 years.

For treatment, I agree that a port is the only way to go, but now I'm past that.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    sort of
    My first one or two FOLFOX treatments were done through an IV. It stung so much - and my whole arm was numb for several days afterwards. Really hurt. So I ended up getting a port and having the rest of my treatments that way. My arm/vein pain did resolve completely after several days though. I am not sure how long it has been since your treatment finished....I guess this could be something similar to the neuropathy that is often a side effect of oxaliplatin?? (which resolves completely for some -- like me -- and only partially for others -- but takes a while. For me maybe 6-12 months to resolve completely....). If it were me, I would be seriously considering your surgeon's suggestion to have that central line placed -- why go through the discomfort of the IV if you can avoid it -- you have more than enough other things to be dealing with! I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery and ongoing recovery....

Tara
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm so surprised that your onc didn't suggest a port....
    or even your chemo nurses. It doesn't surprise me that your veins hurt. FOLFOX or any chemo drug for that matter is poison. Kind of like potassium, if given through a vein, has potential to cause pain because of what it is, even though it's not a poison if given like it should be, otherwise it can cause death.

I would definitely opt for a port. I can't even fathom having chemo through a vein. I can't even imagine the pain that you're going through. Chemo is so noxious.
  • abrub
    Options
    taraHK said:

sort of
    My first one or two FOLFOX treatments were done through an IV. It stung so much - and my whole arm was numb for several days afterwards. Really hurt. So I ended up getting a port and having the rest of my treatments that way. My arm/vein pain did resolve completely after several days though. I am not sure how long it has been since your treatment finished....I guess this could be something similar to the neuropathy that is often a side effect of oxaliplatin?? (which resolves completely for some -- like me -- and only partially for others -- but takes a while. For me maybe 6-12 months to resolve completely....). If it were me, I would be seriously considering your surgeon's suggestion to have that central line placed -- why go through the discomfort of the IV if you can avoid it -- you have more than enough other things to be dealing with! I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery and ongoing recovery....

Tara

It's been two years...
    The surgeon's recommendation was based on my concern. We've agreed that I'll prep for the IV going into surgery, and while I'm under, they'll place the central line. I don't think I could tolerate an IV. One of the reasons my port was removed with just local was that I couldn't tolerate the IV, I was in such pain from it that the nurse had to remove it. Frankly, I cried through my first post-chemo CAT scan - the IV throbbed terribly.

All that was 2 years ago, but I still find when I have blood draws, I can feel everything, so although it's somewhat better, I don't want to take chances. And I still have the neuropathy from the Oxali and the Hand-Foot - it never completely resolved.

A central line is more major than an IV, but in a larger vein, I won't feel the canula, so I should be okay. And then they'll be the constant pain meds to help me through...

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Alice