Drivers Liscense Picture/short hair?

Options
rm22111
rm22111 Member Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have to renew my drivers liscense at the end of July. I have very short hair that is still falling out some from Chemo in April. I am pretty sure that my hair will still be very short when I have to renew my liscense. Has anyone had to renew their liscense with not much hair. I am pretty sure that they will not let me wear a hat. I have choosen to wear hats and not wear a wig. If I take a new picture I will have to carry around that picture of me with very short hair for years. I have worn my hair short before, but not this short. Any suggestions?

rm22111

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    I live in FLorida and we can
    I live in FLorida and we can renew our license on line and they use the previous picture. If your state doesn't do this, can't you get a duplicate issued once your hair is grown out? It is amazing ALL the steps we have to go through as we journey through this trip with cancer!! Good luck to you!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    I
    decided to get a driver's permit right after I finished my treatments and I had hardly anything on top. I was wearing a hat that day and I had to remove it for the picture.
    Hopefully where you live,you won't have to...
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I did something worse....
    I had to renew my passport!

WOW, have I gotten some looks from Dutch passport control. And the French were very sympathetic when I explained WHY my hair was so different!

It gives me the opportunity to spread the news around the world that there IS life after cancer!!!

Thanks for the memory...I have since replaced it...(the passport, not my memory...or, then again....ROFLMAO!)

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

I did something worse....
    I had to renew my passport!

WOW, have I gotten some looks from Dutch passport control. And the French were very sympathetic when I explained WHY my hair was so different!

It gives me the opportunity to spread the news around the world that there IS life after cancer!!!

Thanks for the memory...I have since replaced it...(the passport, not my memory...or, then again....ROFLMAO!)

Hugs, Kathi

BTW, you CAN get a new license before it expires...
    Just tell them you lost your old one...then get a new pic with your longer hair!

Hugs, Kathi
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Driver's License picture
    rm22111- Your post made me laugh out loud as I just had to do the same. I got the letter from our dept of motor vehicles saying that my picture was too old and that I had to have a new one taken before June 1. My last chemo was early Feb and I have about 3/4" of hair. I have a wig that I was going to wear and then I said, oh what the heck - and I bravely went with my short hairdo and had them shoot my picture. I figured I could have it redone at some point if I wanted to pay the $4. And then, some things just don't bother me anymore...
    You'll be beautiful either way. Don't worry. You'll never get stopped anyway! And if you have to show your ID at the store, you can always say that you're a BC survivor and impress everybody!
    Beth
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    BethInAz said:

Driver's License picture
    rm22111- Your post made me laugh out loud as I just had to do the same. I got the letter from our dept of motor vehicles saying that my picture was too old and that I had to have a new one taken before June 1. My last chemo was early Feb and I have about 3/4" of hair. I have a wig that I was going to wear and then I said, oh what the heck - and I bravely went with my short hairdo and had them shoot my picture. I figured I could have it redone at some point if I wanted to pay the $4. And then, some things just don't bother me anymore...
    You'll be beautiful either way. Don't worry. You'll never get stopped anyway! And if you have to show your ID at the store, you can always say that you're a BC survivor and impress everybody!
    Beth

Just this weekend...
    I was in Sears using my credit card and the cute sassy little clerk needed to see my drivers license to complete the transaction. Looking at my DL she said...Gee this doesn't look too much like you... I was caught by surprise as this was only the second time I had been out in public w/out my wig but wearing a beautiful scarf wrapped and tied as best I could. And I knew I was maybe a little pale as shopping then standing in a line was almost more than I could handle. My quick reply to her...Well that was made before I had cancer. Then she wouldn't shut up saying how beautiful I looked and was a cute scarf and my shirt was darling. Needless to say...it perked me up as I smiled to myself and left the store. I could still hear explaining to the lady in line behind me... Maybe I was too quick to answer but that is what fell out of my mouth without too much thought.
    ....little clerk at Sears...if you are reading this...I'm sorry.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    All of my picture ID's
    All of my picture ID's (Driver license, retired military dependant, VA) have long dark hair on them - I haven't been questioned once when wearing my scarfs or wigs. As women, many of us change our hair color and length often. I used to wear wigs just to be 'different' - never had any problems with that. Get your picture tken when you need to and then go pay the fee to get one when you hair gets to where you want it. Just what I'd do if I had a prob. with the picture - but honestly I;ve never had an ID picture taken that I liked..
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

All of my picture ID's
    All of my picture ID's (Driver license, retired military dependant, VA) have long dark hair on them - I haven't been questioned once when wearing my scarfs or wigs. As women, many of us change our hair color and length often. I used to wear wigs just to be 'different' - never had any problems with that. Get your picture tken when you need to and then go pay the fee to get one when you hair gets to where you want it. Just what I'd do if I had a prob. with the picture - but honestly I;ve never had an ID picture taken that I liked..

no hair and 70 pound wt
    no hair and 70 pound wt loss, dont look like my pic at all. in my state we can use the old one, although I look so different, I guess I would have the pic done and change it later. i have to be honest although i am proud of my journey and what I have gone through, I dont like me in short hair never did, and I dont like the color it came back, so i would change it later.
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    carkris said:

no hair and 70 pound wt
    no hair and 70 pound wt loss, dont look like my pic at all. in my state we can use the old one, although I look so different, I guess I would have the pic done and change it later. i have to be honest although i am proud of my journey and what I have gone through, I dont like me in short hair never did, and I dont like the color it came back, so i would change it later.

good ideas
    Thank you for the support and good ideas. If it is only costs $4 to change the picture then I might just go ahead and do that. I do not mind that people know that I have breast or had breast cancer. I have had several people contact me and ask for Dr referals for realtives. I did not know of anyone that had breast cancer when I was dx, but I had friends and family that knew of others. I feel like it is my duty and goal to be open to anyone who may be going thru what I have gone thru. My husband has also been able to pass on information to others. All that said and done I also sometime just want to feel normal or as close to normal as I can. I want love, support and prayers but not pitty.

thanks
    rm22111
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    I have to do the same before Aug 1
    I got a letter saying its been 12 years since I had a picture so its time to update...I have been done with chemo since September so I have hair but it is still pretty short-at least shorter than I have ever had and very curly. I am hoping I will be able to do something with it. If it were a year ago, I would have worn my scarf or hat and explained to them the reason. I didn't have a wig, either. You can always go back and get a new picture again once your hair is back. My daughter did it just because she didn't like her picture and they let her.