Haldol

Options
waffle8
waffle8 Member Posts: 234
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyones doctor ever prescibed this for your nausea? I read the warning label and I am afraid to take it....Still taking Zofran and compazine but neither seem to work for me....I am so grateful this site is here.....God Bless you all....

Comments

• Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Haldol is classified as an
    Haldol is classified as an antipsychotic but can be used for N/V from surgery or chemotherapy. I took Emend on days 2 & 3 after chemo, it worked great.
    Deb
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    it can work
    Haldol does work for some people but, most feel sleepy with it. Emend works on a different part of the "nausea chain" than compazine and zofran. Can you ask to try that? ?maybe use the haldol at bedtime? Hope you are feeling better soon!

Hugs, El
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Haldol
    I took Ammend and it worked very well. Never had a problem with nausea.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Waffle
    I am surprised to hear this name after so many years. Years ago, a doctor prescribed this to my son who has Tourette's Syndrome. As I recall, they had him take a heart test & it made him gain a significant amount of weight. I too was concerned about the side effects-he wasn't on it long. To me, this is a pretty strong med for "nausea" and I don't blame you for being concerned! Talk to whoever prescribed this for you & let them know how you feel & see if there is something else for you to take.
    Hugz,
    Cat
  • Kay Allen
    Kay Allen Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Haldol
    Dr. prescribe me a paste or they call a compound with adivan, haldol, and benadryl and its the best ever. Yes it make you sleepy but controls the nausea really quick, you just rub it on your wrist. Have tried alot of other meds for nausea but this works great
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    My daughter took it....
    for emotional disturbance.

It is a nasty, but effective, drug. The sides can be quite frightening, tho....but that depends on the dose. My daughter, of course, had a high dose to attempt to control the voices. Most of the time, it worked, but she did gain alot of weight, and complained of the sleepiness.

I like the paste idea, applied to the wrist, you can REALLY control the dose.

Nothing drug-wise worked for my nausea, either. I used some tricks:

Ginger Ale. The REAL stuff. With sugar. The dutch have been using ginger to settle tummies for a long, long, long time.

Black licorice. I sucked on it.

Eating small amounts, never letting your tummy be empty.

On day 2, I always just went with sleeping. One day without food I could manage, and I sipped fluids (hence, the ginger ale) as often as I could between trips to the bathroom. By day 3 I was much better. Then, day 4, I ate a turkey sandwich, very strong on the turkey. I craved protein. Day 4, I was completely normal.

Hang in there, dearheart!!! It is nasty, but doable!!!! And only a small part of your life, so that you can live the rest of your life!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have the wrist paste
    My cancer center compounds what they call "BAD GEL" that you put on one wrist and cover with cling wrap for 45 minutes. In 4 hours you do the other wrist and keep alternating as needed. Works well, although I've usually used it along with compazine or lorazepam (sleep-inducing, that one). The tube says it's made of DIP25/LOR.5/DEX2MG/M -- whatever that is. Good luck in getting that nausea conquered!!