METHOTREXATE

Options
mopar
mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Not a cancer question, but an RA questions - rheumatoid arthritis. Our daughter was recently diagnosed with severe RA. We started her on an exercise program, supplements, dietary changes, etc., etc. The only thing left at this point (medically, anyway), is to get her off the steroids. And according to her doctor (very highly recommended) she needs to decide whether or not to take methotrexate which is basically a chemo drug, one shot a week, for the rest of her life (as the dr puts it). You can imagine her Dad and I are very upset to think that she will be on a drug that will put her immune system in a tail-spin, when it's already compromised in the first place. And after going through chemo twice myself, I know what she can expect and my heart is breaking. There is already so much damage done to the joints (mostly concentrated in the back and neck) and she claims that the Methotrexate will help to stave off any further damage. Not being able to lift her 16 month-old son is difficult, let alone going to work, taking care of her son, just the day to day routine.

I've already been on lots of forums, and as you can imagine, getting all kinds of info, sometimes too much. I value all of your opinions, and would just like to have some feedback. After being on this board for nearly 10 years, and all the friends I have made, it's no wonder I'm coming to you.

God bless all of you, and have a great day.
Monika

Comments

• wonderingalice
    wonderingalice Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Methotrexate
    Hi Monika,

My mother, who has rheumatoid arthritis and Stage III uterine cancer (UPSC) has been on it for several years and found great relief for her RA. She's had to go off of it at times for chemo, but between diet changes and the methotrexate her RA has been well under control.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Methotrexate
    Hi Monika,

My mother, who has rheumatoid arthritis and Stage III uterine cancer (UPSC) has been on it for several years and found great relief for her RA. She's had to go off of it at times for chemo, but between diet changes and the methotrexate her RA has been well under control.

THANK YOU
    Thank you so much for responding, and your encouraging words. My daugther is only 29 and I'm sure you can imagine my concerns. After reading what Bonnie said regarding continual chemo possibly causing lukemia, it amplifies my worries if she will be taking this weekly for the rest of her life.

Thank you again for your quick response. I'll be praying for your mom, and you!
    Monika