Has anyone had liver resection before rectal resection

Options
Devasted
Devasted Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Any experience with this? Husband was dx'd May 2009.

Comments

• gulik
    gulik Member Posts: 2
    Options
    liver-first approach
    My husband will have first liver surgery. You can find some more info here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19273952
    regards
    July
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    sort of
    I had tumors removed/ablated from my liver and had my colon resected during the same surgery this past April. I was dx'd in July '09. At first the plan was to do some radiation and resect the primary, but an MRI showed my liver to be in worse shape than what the CT revealed. So I had a colostomy to prevent total rectal blockage and went straight into systemic chemo. I was fortunate that the chemo worked well enough to make me a candidate for the surgery.
    I'm really curious why you asked. Do you have a new plan? I hope I didn't somehow miss a post from you.
    Roger
  • Devasted
    Options
    Crow71 said:

sort of
    I had tumors removed/ablated from my liver and had my colon resected during the same surgery this past April. I was dx'd in July '09. At first the plan was to do some radiation and resect the primary, but an MRI showed my liver to be in worse shape than what the CT revealed. So I had a colostomy to prevent total rectal blockage and went straight into systemic chemo. I was fortunate that the chemo worked well enough to make me a candidate for the surgery.
    I'm really curious why you asked. Do you have a new plan? I hope I didn't somehow miss a post from you.
    Roger

It's great to see you back..

Roger,

First, it is great to see you back. How are you doing? Starting to feel better?
    Do you live near the hospital? We're two hours away and that is a bit concerning.

Well, we are on a roller coaster! After systemic chemo, the surg. onc. said resection was possible. My husband had PVE and it was a 3 hour procedure. We went last Friday (4 weeks later) for a MRI and the liver didn't seem to have grown enough and it may not be possible.
    The rad. guys were to check the volume of the liver. So, it was a kinda slow weekend of waiting (they did pre-op on Friday) called today and said everything looked ok. The Dr will call to confirm surgery tomorrow. The rectal tumor is still there but the liver is the critical component now. There were no new leisons on the liver but the existing had grown on xeloda. June 2 is date for now in Chapel Hill, if confirmed. Any advice for us?

Thanks and take care
  • Devasted
    Options
    gulik said:

liver-first approach
    My husband will have first liver surgery. You can find some more info here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19273952
    regards
    July

Thanks
    Thanks, that is an interesting article. That really helped!
    Just wanted to ask, there is always great information on here.

Thanks
  • gulik
    gulik Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Devasted said:

It's great to see you back..

Roger,

First, it is great to see you back. How are you doing? Starting to feel better?
    Do you live near the hospital? We're two hours away and that is a bit concerning.

Well, we are on a roller coaster! After systemic chemo, the surg. onc. said resection was possible. My husband had PVE and it was a 3 hour procedure. We went last Friday (4 weeks later) for a MRI and the liver didn't seem to have grown enough and it may not be possible.
    The rad. guys were to check the volume of the liver. So, it was a kinda slow weekend of waiting (they did pre-op on Friday) called today and said everything looked ok. The Dr will call to confirm surgery tomorrow. The rectal tumor is still there but the liver is the critical component now. There were no new leisons on the liver but the existing had grown on xeloda. June 2 is date for now in Chapel Hill, if confirmed. Any advice for us?

Thanks and take care

I hope your husband will have fast recovery
    Our date for surgery June 10. I think it is positive that your doctors going for liver surgery, because there is hope for curative treatment. Operation on primary tumor in our case will not improve survival. Successfull liver surgery will incnrease chances for curative treatment.
    Fast recovery after surgery very important, because we will have secont for primary tumor.

take care
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Combination liver resection/colon resection
    When I had a discussion my colorectal surgeon he recommended that we do the liver resection first and then a few weeks later do the colon resection. He felt that it was the best scenario in order to avoid any kind of possible contamination and threat of infection. When I talked to the liver surgeon he disagreed with the colorectal surgeon and told us he thought it better we did it all at once, so if there were any problems I wouldn't be off chemo as long and I would only have one recovery period. He wasn't worried about contamination or other issues.

In the end I decided to do it all at once (colon resection, liver resection, gallbladder removed, HAI pump implanted). The liver team started at 7 in the morning and was done about 11 or 12 and then the colon team came in and did about 3 to 4 hours.

I don't know if simultaneous resections were discussed with your doctor but perhaps you may want to address it with him/her.

I will be thinking of you both!
    Amy
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Mine
    Mine was a "Buy One, Get One" kinda deal. They found my liver mets while in for the colon resection, so did it then. Been clear ever since my surgery January 22, 2002. Was Stage 4, now I'm a big ZERO....and that's just fine with me!

Drop me a line if I can help in any way,

Stacy
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options

Mine
    Mine was a "Buy One, Get One" kinda deal. They found my liver mets while in for the colon resection, so did it then. Been clear ever since my surgery January 22, 2002. Was Stage 4, now I'm a big ZERO....and that's just fine with me!

Drop me a line if I can help in any way,

Stacy

Stacy,
    This is a good thing

Stacy,

This is a good thing to big a big ZERO! You must be very proud of your results, I know I would be.