My thoughts.....

Options
Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
When I first started out, I was so scared, and it was this sight that helped me calm down. No question or comment was too stupid. As I continued on this journey I have become the parent, grandparent, the great grandparent and as people come on to this board, they slowly take our place in the lineage. We can never forget that those that start the journey are babies (so to speak) and we need to walk them through their fears and concerns, and help, reach out to what makes them a person. And we have to love no matter what....even when they walk away. Don't go too far Mom and Dad, I may need you again one day! :-)

Raquel

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    good thoughts!
    And very true statements. We do all come here initially scared to death and looking for some answers, kindred spirits, others who have walked where we dread to tread ourselves. As the days, weeks, months go by, we learn a LOT of information from others and are able to move forward in our fights with more knowledge and more strength. I like your analogy of moving through the stages of a family; in many ways we are a family, and it shows in how we refer to ourselves and even in how we bicker! I for one am very glad you are here on this board, Raquel!
    mary
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Yes
    I couldn't agree more with you. I believe our goal here is to help people through this part of their lives by answering their questions, sharing our experiences and trying to assure them that they are not alone and they can get through this.
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. I
    I couldn't agree more. I wasn't really scared, but more curious about what was going to happen to me during chemo, the ups and downs have obviously gotten to me if you look at my back posts. :) I really do love people that are here. They've meant so much to me.

Hugs and love

Holly
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I came to this board in Nov of 09
    I came to this board in Nov of 09. I was NED for almost a year then. I came to try to figure out the damned side effects from chemo/rad that I was dealing with. I am leaving the board.

The reason is, it depresses the hell out of me. I have gotten to know and love a bunch of you. The problem is I get to deep into what you all are feeling and I just can’t handle it. With what Roger is going through just rips me up. That boy is the same age as my youngest son. Why the hell does this crap beat the hell out of him and his family and let an old SOB like me off easy?????

To complete my battle I need to keep my positive attitude at full steam, otherwise my body’s warriors will just start goofing off on their job of killing the damn cancer cells.

At first I thought the board had changed it’s over all personality. It really has not. This is kind of like in the WW2 movie Band of Brothers. After a while you just don’t want to get to know the replacements. It just hurts too much if they fall.

I will check back in when I get that damned rod shoved up my butt in August and let you know what the outcome is. Some day I would like to meet the Ba*&ard that invented that scope. It is truly a tool of the devil. I could never make it in prison.

To you newbies, stay positive. If an old guy, that eats all the “wrong foods” and smokes like a chimney, who is on the "mostly dead" side of life anyway, can get back to a normal life, then you can too or at least give it a hard row to hoe.

Always remember. Man IS what he thinks about all day long.

Kerry
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

I came to this board in Nov of 09. I was NED for almost a year then. I came to try to figure out the damned side effects from chemo/rad that I was dealing with. I am leaving the board.

The reason is, it depresses the hell out of me. I have gotten to know and love a bunch of you. The problem is I get to deep into what you all are feeling and I just can’t handle it. With what Roger is going through just rips me up. That boy is the same age as my youngest son. Why the hell does this crap beat the hell out of him and his family and let an old SOB like me off easy?????

To complete my battle I need to keep my positive attitude at full steam, otherwise my body’s warriors will just start goofing off on their job of killing the damn cancer cells.

At first I thought the board had changed it’s over all personality. It really has not. This is kind of like in the WW2 movie Band of Brothers. After a while you just don’t want to get to know the replacements. It just hurts too much if they fall.

I will check back in when I get that damned rod shoved up my butt in August and let you know what the outcome is. Some day I would like to meet the Ba*&ard that invented that scope. It is truly a tool of the devil. I could never make it in prison.

To you newbies, stay positive. If an old guy, that eats all the “wrong foods” and smokes like a chimney, who is on the "mostly dead" side of life anyway, can get back to a normal life, then you can too or at least give it a hard row to hoe.

Kerry

Hey you...
    Kerry, we need you sense of humor!! Stick around!!!
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

Kerry

Hi Kerry,
    We each have to do

Hi Kerry,

We each have to do what we need to in order to fight this battle. I for one will miss you incredibly. I have thoroughly enjoyed your sense of humour + the way you look at things. I also enjoyed the pictures of your property. Please take good care of yourself. Warm thoughts are coming your way.
  • abmb
    abmb Member Posts: 311
    Options
    Great people
    I believe this board is a great place to get support and comfort from great people. You have helped me with so much info for my husband. You have helped me understand a little of what he is going through. I don't know how I would have gotten by this past year without finding this board. I just wish I would have had the courage to sign up earlier when he was diagnosed. I will continue to come here to give my Prayers and any info that I can. God Bless all of you. Margaret
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Raquel...
    ...straight from the heart. Feeling your warmth and compassion and sharing in it.
    Peace, Love, Hope for healing to all.
    Aud
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

Kerry

Kerry...
    ...if ya gotta go, I understand. but will miss you. You make me laugh...always! hope to still see you around.
    (I hear ya about the rod, too!)
    love and peace,
    Aud
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

Kerry

Kerry
    I, for one, will miss you. Who else can get me laughing so hard on the days I really need to laugh. Yes things can be depressing, no doubt. I kinda figured Roger's ordeal would bother you so make sure you check in with him on his caringbridge site from time to time. If anyone can get him to hang in there when the going gets too rough you can. He needs your humor.

Take care - Tina
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Yes
    I couldn't agree more with you. I believe our goal here is to help people through this part of their lives by answering their questions, sharing our experiences and trying to assure them that they are not alone and they can get through this.

Phil -
    I couldn't agree with you more... Yeah.

Tina
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

Kerry

Well darn Kerry!
    Your special humor and "take me as I am" attitude has made my day more than once.I relate to that type of openness. Plus, you gave me some good advice in only one sentence. Thank you Kerry.

With that said, I also feel your reasoning to exit at this time and though I wish you wouldn't for my own selfish reasons, I hear you and always wish you well and may you enjoy good health and better 'scopes' from here on out:)

Take care friend.

-Pat
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Well said
    So well said, Raquel. This is why I always recommend this site to people who are newly diagnosed.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

Kerry

Going to Really Miss You
    You have to do what you have to do. You have been a great inspiration on this board and feel your roller coaster. I have that colonoscopy on June 21 - first since diagnosis in December of 2009. You are a keeper and you will be missed. Let us know how you do in August. I agree with all the replacements. It's hard to see some go and new ones come. Just wish we could take this disease away. Good for you enjoying life too. Have meat maybe two or three times a month, but not giving it up and not juicing either. Couldn't stand to live my life day by day without eating what is not tasty or enjoyable to me and when my doctor said it "wasn't anything I ate or drank or my environment" then I'm still going to exercise everyday, drink lots of water, eat my veggies and fruits, take my vitamins and do everything I did before cancer. Never overdid any, so I'll have a steak with you - no A-1 though :)

You go on your journey Kerry because it's the journey I'm sharing with you.

Don't forget us! You are still important here. Hope all goes well in August.

Kim
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    Options
    hit the nail on the head
    so to speak. good anology.
    chris
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    Options
    Kerry S said:

Kerry

I understand
    Well Kerry I get it, and while I sure will miss your straight forwardness, I understand completely why you need the "break" Seems like this last week has been a roller coaster on here for me. One post has you smiling (Crow) and the next one just rips you in two (Kapper). I know I will reach the point that you have come to and I respect the fact that you realize what you have to do and are doing it, which is also no surprise. As others have said you have a way of hitting the heart of the situation, and saying what needs to be said in short order. I myself have always admired that, I reminds me of my Grandfather. direct, from the heart, no chicken soup for the soul (ie. bull hockey) no offense to those who get something out of that but I grow tired of the "Dr. Phils" out there.
    Good luck to you, Kerry. I for one will miss you. I will be waiting to see your post on the "rod" intrusion. And by the way if ya get a name on the "Ba*&ard, just post it on here, I bet he could end up "dissappearing" and the list of suspects would be way to long to run through, and they cant send us all to the pokey, government couldnt afford the medical bills they would incur :P, just a thought, LOL.
    Chris
    Graybeard
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    support
    This board has been SO helpful to me in the past almost-2 years since I've been on it. I really wish I had found the board when I was first diagnosed the year before that. I've learned so much from others and have felt some satisfaction in being able to share what I've learned and experienced, as well.
    Yes, there have been ups and downs on the board. We're only human! Sometimes we squabble, but we always get back to what we do best- support each other, educate each other, listen to each other, and give advice. We may not always agree with each other's advice, but I think we're all adult enough to know what to use and what to filter out. I believe that people's intentions are good pretty much most of the time. There have been times that I have been more active on the board and then less active on the board. Sometimes this has had to do with my emotional state and sometimes it's had to do with how busy I've been or not in life.
    I've just taken a step off of Facebook, because it's become too consuming, but I am not leaving this board- it's really my lifeline at times and when I'm feeling strong myself, I want to help be part of that lifeline for others too. I do find there are times that I cannot bring myself to reply to certain posts, just because I'm emotionally spent or they're too painful, but I do want to push myself to post as much as I am able to give at the time.

Thanks to all of you- both posters and lurkers- for being here for your own sake and for others. The Lord told us to put others before ourselves and although I definitely take care of myself, that is what I'm trying to do when I'm able to.

Hugs and Hope,
    Lisa
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    Thank you Raquel
    for posting your thoughts. I appreciate their intent and your reaching out. I would aspire for the same.

all the best, Leslie