In middle of night a strange small raised red spot showed up on my hand-first chemo was May 7

Options
hopeful girl 1
hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I am concerned. In middle of night developed a small raised red spot on my hand.
Am worried could be some wierd infection since two weeks after chemo we are at lowest immunity. I am keeping an eye on it. I do not have a fever.

Did anyone else experience anything like this?

Thank you!

Comments

• norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Middle of the night bumps and pains
    Seems like those pesky, scary things always happen in the middle of the night or on the weekend. Call the doc if it would make you feel better to set your mind at ease. My gut reaction is that is nothing to concern yourself about. I use Dial soap religously, just in case I have some stray germ crawling around. I don't know if this does any good, but at least I feel like I am being proactive.

Hope your bump goes away soon, if not call doc, especially if you develop swelling, fever or painful, swollen lymph glands under your arms.
  • hopeful girl 1
    Options
    norma2 said:

Middle of the night bumps and pains
    Seems like those pesky, scary things always happen in the middle of the night or on the weekend. Call the doc if it would make you feel better to set your mind at ease. My gut reaction is that is nothing to concern yourself about. I use Dial soap religously, just in case I have some stray germ crawling around. I don't know if this does any good, but at least I feel like I am being proactive.

Hope your bump goes away soon, if not call doc, especially if you develop swelling, fever or painful, swollen lymph glands under your arms.

Thank you Norma.
    And you are

Thank you Norma.
    And you are so right-the worrisome symptoms always seem to be a night or week-end!
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Options
    I, too, have experienced some red spots on my arms, upper chest and even the outer part of my ear. My chemo doc is thinking that the taxol is creating the dry spots.

Please share anything else you might find out about them.

Peace and hope,

JJ
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I believe they are called
    I believe they are called Keloids? (sorry spelling). They are harmless. I have two or three of them. I also have some red tiny dots in a cluster which the doctor says are harmless.
  • Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Options
    Bumps
    Red bump...hmmmm...could be so many things. Good thing you don't have a fever. Try putting a warm,wet wash cloth on it a see if it gets better. You could put some Neosporin on it if you think it is a small infection of the skin called cellulitis. I got a small pimple type thing under one of my eyes during the 5th chemo round and it turned into cellulitis due to my suppressed immune system. I took a course of broad spectrum antibiotics orally and it cleared up. Good idea to use antibacterial soap during treatments. Can you call your oncologist nurse practitioner and talk to her or him about it. Wouldn't it be great if all of our oncologists had telemedicine and we had small camera on our computers where the healthcare practitioner could see and talk to us about our concerns and side effects?
    Take care!
    Lori
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Options

I, too, have experienced some red spots on my arms, upper chest and even the outer part of my ear. My chemo doc is thinking that the taxol is creating the dry spots.

Please share anything else you might find out about them.

Peace and hope,

JJ

Well, really not much of a followup...I showed my chemo doc the spots on Wednesday. She asked if they were itchy...NO, did they hurt...NO...she wants to "watch" them. If I get more I'm going to call her and tell her I'm going to see a dermatologist. They do seem to be fading, though.

Peace and hope,

JJ
  • hopeful girl 1
    Options

Bumps
    Red bump...hmmmm...could be so many things. Good thing you don't have a fever. Try putting a warm,wet wash cloth on it a see if it gets better. You could put some Neosporin on it if you think it is a small infection of the skin called cellulitis. I got a small pimple type thing under one of my eyes during the 5th chemo round and it turned into cellulitis due to my suppressed immune system. I took a course of broad spectrum antibiotics orally and it cleared up. Good idea to use antibacterial soap during treatments. Can you call your oncologist nurse practitioner and talk to her or him about it. Wouldn't it be great if all of our oncologists had telemedicine and we had small camera on our computers where the healthcare practitioner could see and talk to us about our concerns and side effects?
    Take care!
    Lori

Northwoods Girl,

I agree which we could have cams on the computers and talk and show the doc the strange systems and have our fears put to rest. I forgot to ask my doc yesterday about the red bumps. I went back and checked with nurse and she thought they were ok said to keep an eye on them and if they change or look worse call. I do know the chemo drugs can cause rashes and such. It's nice to know we all experience these oddities and are not alone in our concerns:)

Peace and healing thoughts to all!