Life has to go on even if it sucks

Options
khl8
khl8 Member Posts: 807
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Life doesn't stop when you have cancer, things happen every day that you don't want or plan for. Even though you are in the fight of your life, things areound jsut keep on going, good or bad. I have ( and have most of you as well) one hell of a year and a half. I spent the time focusing in getting better and I think I have done that, I wanted this year to be a good one, my oldest is getting married in Jamaica in August, my youngest is graduating high school in a few weeks and i have so much to look forward to.
But yesterday, I had to have my 14 year old dog and best friend put down. She was sick and losing weight and so help me I think I cried more for her yesterday and today than I did when they told me I had cancer. All I could think of is why me? why her? why now? I know she was old and I knew it was coming, but I need a break already. I need good things to happen and it just hit me that even though I have felt that my life was on hold, it really wasn't. People around me continued on with their lives, pets aged faster than we would have liked, and the world does not stop for you.
It is a never ending roller coaster ride and you have no idea what is over the next hill. The one thing that having cancer has taught me is to enjoy every minute and not let a second go by that I might miss something.
Iread the posts here and o many of us are going through hardships, such as lack of insurance, job loss, reoccurances and my wish is that there could one day that we all could collectively take a deep breath and relish in the moment that for now, we are still here!
So, to all of my friends new and old, I wish for you to smell the flowers, kiss a loved one, hold your pet, take a walk in the sunshine, sit on a porch and drink lemonade or just feel for a brief moment that even though we are in a battle, we are winners for this one moment in time.
Kathy

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks for the cyber hug!
    Thanks for the cyber hug! Her name was Shelby and she was part lab, part Rottweiler.
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Sorry about you best friend
    Just keep on keeping on.

Brooks
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

Sorry about you best friend
    Just keep on keeping on.

Brooks

After five days in a hospital with kidney failure, we then kept
    our 12 year old Doberman, Rambo, alive for four more months, injecting him daily with fluids in addition to getting him to swallow pills.The hardest thing to do is then have to put your four-legged friend "to sleep". During this time, unbeknownest to me, my tumor was growing larger. This May 30th marks his second year gone (May 10, 2009 our cat,Cat,also went due to kidney failure; two days later got my DX of CRC)....(Take your aged pet to the vet!!!!)The loss of a pet hurts so, so much but yes, life must go on.......steve
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Kathy
    Kathy,
    Pets add so much to our lives. As my Dad said upon loosing his beloved shepherd, "Dogs teach us about unconditional love." Our dogs have meant the world to **** during the past year. I am sorry you lost your sweet Shelby. I know how that hurts. Hugs to you.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Kathy,
    I am so sorry for

Kathy,

I am so sorry for loss of your beloved dog. Your advice is good. Take good care!
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438
    Options

Kathy
    Kathy,
    Pets add so much to our lives. As my Dad said upon loosing his beloved shepherd, "Dogs teach us about unconditional love." Our dogs have meant the world to **** during the past year. I am sorry you lost your sweet Shelby. I know how that hurts. Hugs to you.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

Kathy
    so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet. I have walked that path and it is certainly not easy. As others have said, having the unconditional love of our four-legged family when we are going through rough times just makes them even more dear. Sending you a (((hug)) too. Take care.
  • pf78248
    pf78248 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    So sorry for your loss
    Kathy,

Losing a beloved pet is almost like losing a family member. It's really rough. It tooks us a long time to get over our sadness after losing our black lab BD. We had him 12 years. Time does heal our grief but it's not easy when it happens.

Your advice was wonderful. I loved it and intend to share your story with David, my husband who is battling stage 4. Thanks for your post.

Hugs and Healing,
    Priscilla
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    pf78248 said:

So sorry for your loss
    Kathy,

Losing a beloved pet is almost like losing a family member. It's really rough. It tooks us a long time to get over our sadness after losing our black lab BD. We had him 12 years. Time does heal our grief but it's not easy when it happens.

Your advice was wonderful. I loved it and intend to share your story with David, my husband who is battling stage 4. Thanks for your post.

Hugs and Healing,
    Priscilla

I'm so sorry
    For what your going through and the loss of your beloved pet. Only those who have pets know that they are more like family members then anything else. I have lost two great pets in my lifetime, I'm 34, so had a cat since I was 8 lost her in my 20s, then a great dog in my 30s. I was devestated at losing them, but God has a funny way of doing things (those who believe in him) the day I lost my dog, I could not bare to see my mum in pain so I found a breeder online who bred the same type of dog, and I found out they had a dog pregnant and ready to give birth, strange thing is she went over buy two weeks. Then we got our trouble maker tipu, and as for our cat, we have a lovely cross breed kowalski 12ear now and I love her to pieces, I feel as though I brought her up as a kitten. That year I think I didn't sleep when she arrived six months before I was looking after my sick cat, then six months I looked after her, waking up during the night etc, playing with her. Then I got my other cross breed poppy, age 4 got her during my marriage. I hope you find that you can give your love to a new pet soon, as it sounds you have a lot to give. Big hugs to you