New to the boards---sorta

Options
Karen9182
Karen9182 Member Posts: 60
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi I'm just starting out on this board but have been amazed at the support, advice, prayers and love that flows from these threads. Tina suggested this bord (thanks ;-) Tina!) I got my dx for ovarian cancer on December 23 2010. My husband, Bob had gone into the ER with numbness on the side of his face. He was diagnosed eith a brain tumor on dec 20 and underwent surgery to remove it on the 22nd. I had been in pain (belly) for a few weeks and we had two ultrasounds scheduled for mid Jan. After my husbands surgery I told my Dr because of our circumstances to just give me some antibiotics and push up the dates for the ultra sound. She said she would give me a CT. She called me on my cell while I was in the ICU with my husband to give me the news.
I have now gone through three cycles of IV taxol/carboplatnim with fantastic results. I had my debunking surgery on April 22nd--one week before my 50th birthday. It was at this time that the diagnosis was changed to primary paritoneal cancer. I meet with my gyn/onc on tues to schedule my IP chemo (taxol/cisplatnin) for 4 treatments. The only thing I hate more than the nulasta shots is not being able to be the mom I want to be to my 5 and 7 year old children. My husband is doing well. They got almost all of his (ependymoma) tumor and he has finished his 5 days a week/six week regimen of radiation and is back at work part time. There were days (especially Fridays after a full week of radiation and me 3 or 4 days out od chemothat were tough, but I think the worse is over. I worry about my children losing one or both of us, but so far it looks like we have a few years at the least--nice long many years if cards are played right. I am so grateful to all the women who make these supportive posts. Blessings on all of you.
Hugs from CA
Karen

Comments

• BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Hugs from MN
    Dear Karen, thanks for posting and sharing your story. Sorry you have to be here but know you found a place to get support, knowledge, and so much compassion. The women here are truely amazing. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    UGH!
    Karen,

You sure have a lot on your plate!! I can relate on several levels. I was dx at age 41. At the time my children were 3 and 5. I can't imagine my husband having a primary brain tumor on top of this as well!! I had 5 rounds IV carbo/taxol and 3 rounds IP cisplat/taxol. I am currently fighting a recurrence after a several month remission. Do you have support at home? It can be very stressful having young children at home. Good luck with the upcoming IP chemo. The IP cisplat/taxol was a tough regimen for me. You are in my thoughts!
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    nancy591 said:

UGH!
    Karen,

You sure have a lot on your plate!! I can relate on several levels. I was dx at age 41. At the time my children were 3 and 5. I can't imagine my husband having a primary brain tumor on top of this as well!! I had 5 rounds IV carbo/taxol and 3 rounds IP cisplat/taxol. I am currently fighting a recurrence after a several month remission. Do you have support at home? It can be very stressful having young children at home. Good luck with the upcoming IP chemo. The IP cisplat/taxol was a tough regimen for me. You are in my thoughts!

Welcome Karen
    Hi Karen it is nice to see you have this amazing site full of amazing and supportive women. I get such comfort reading inspirational stories and reading sound advice about how other ladies are going through the same as you.

Keep posting, love Tina
  • tmc576
    tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Welcome Karen
    Hi Karen it is nice to see you have this amazing site full of amazing and supportive women. I get such comfort reading inspirational stories and reading sound advice about how other ladies are going through the same as you.

Keep posting, love Tina

My Prayers
    While all of you are in my prayers, those of you with young children, are especially present. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I'm sure it puts alot of things us "healthy moms" take for granted in perspective. Keep fighting, and we will keep praying! Love to you all.

Tracey
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hi Karen,
    Although I am

Hi Karen,

Although I am truly sorry you have to join our board this way, please know you are welcomed here with open arms.

Everyone is phenomenal and has much wisdom to share.

I don't know what I would have done without these ladies' support, prayers and knowledge.

Welcome and take care,

Sharon
  • LuvMyMom3
    LuvMyMom3 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    you had a double whammy-
    you had a double whammy- your hubby and you both- HUGS...and well wishes sent to you..and many prayers. My mom was just dx with ovarian cancer and had first treatment of chemo. She is so strong. I know she will beat this..you all have so much to live for. Michele