Radiation side effects

rmkbrad
rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
I just finished this week 30 treatments of esophagus radiation, about 4 inches above my stomach junction. I also went through 30 radiation treatments for neck cancer and 6 weeks of chemo. My question is I have acid reflux bad and the dry heaves that are really misserable, how long before this all goes away. Thanks for any input.

Brad

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • JohnnyW
    JohnnyW Member Posts: 23
    Hi Brad
    This is John,we

Hi Brad

This is John,we talked a few times in the waiting room at UCSF..After my first week of radiation and Chemo I was getting acid reflux real bad at night..My Dr. wrote me up a script for Protonix and it has helped a lot..One pill around dinner time and I have pretty much been reflux free at night when it used to be bad.

John
  • Chicagobob
    Chicagobob Member Posts: 1
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Esophageal Cancer
    HI all was told in March I had this time of cancer, it is 2/3 of the way down, and touchs my stomach. So far have had 5 days of continus chemo( tube connected to port ) and 10 days of radiation. I have 18 more days of radiation and then at the end 5 more days of chemo. I'm getting surgery about 6 weeks after all treatment is done, and I'm a little worried about recovery, pain etc. I have faith this will be all gone, but still have doubts. ( Stage 2 ) Any comments will be great! Thanks
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    JohnnyW said:

Hi Brad
    This is John,we

Hi Brad

This is John,we talked a few times in the waiting room at UCSF..After my first week of radiation and Chemo I was getting acid reflux real bad at night..My Dr. wrote me up a script for Protonix and it has helped a lot..One pill around dinner time and I have pretty much been reflux free at night when it used to be bad.

John

Hi Brad
    Hi Brad,
    I had a bad attack of reflux after my post op chemo and the gi dr prescribed liquid Zantac to be taken at bedtime and have not had any trouble of consequence since. Just a suggestion. I have trouble with pills so most of my meds have been liquid. I also take a proton pump med, Prevacid for now. Hope something works for you. Congrats on making it thru so much radiation etc. take care, prayers always,
    Donna70