Pancreas?

Options
Kathryn_in_MN
Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have an answer, which is no definitive answer, after my PET on Wednesday. I'm tired of being "unusual." Everything that lit up before on scans is gone. Nothing in the usual suspect places - liver & lungs are clear. But my pancreas lit up. I have a fever and stomach pain, so the hopes are that I have pancreatiti​s. Odds are that it is that or pancreatic cancer.

Lots of blood work and cultures today. CT scan scheduled for next Tuesday. Oncologist again on Thursday. So much for my full week of no medical appointments.

Has anyone ever heard of colon cancer metastisizing to the pancreas? I've already beat cervical cancer. I thought I'd beat colon cancer, and I still probably have. But here we go again - another week of stress waiting to find out what is wrong...

I'll write more later. I'm off to the drama banquet with both boys, and can hopefully take my mind of this crap.

Comments

• snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    Yes and Yes
    Colon cancer does sometimes show up in the pancreas. Your symptoms sound like pancreatitis. I had it last year this time. My infection had spread over the liver, lungs, and pancreas. Everything on the Pet/CT lit up like a christmas tree. If it is colon cancer, they should be able to treat it. If it turns out to be an isolated spot or two I would ask about Novalis or Rapidarc.
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Kathryn
    Kathryn,

You have been through so much and I was really hoping for a nice clean scan so you could get on with everything else in life. I am thinking of you and hope that you have pancreatitis and can resolve that quickly with some pharmaceuticals. You are in my thoughts.

Amy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear
    I'm so sorry you have this to worry about! I'll be praying that it's not more cancer of ANY kind!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Oh, dear
    I'm so sorry you have this to worry about! I'll be praying that it's not more cancer of ANY kind!

*hugs*
    Gail

Finally the answers
    I had a CT scan Tuesday, and it showed NO MASS! So I am officially NED!!! The enlargement and activity in my pancreas and duodonem seen on the PET was inflammation due to pancreatitis - not a malignant mass. WOOOHOOO! I know it is odd to celebrate pancreatitis, but I am.

The biggest cause of pancreatitis is alcoholism. That isn't an issue for me. In the last 8 months I had 2 half glasses of wine, and one Margarita.

The next biggest cause is gall stones. I don't have those.

In 30% of cases of pancreatitis the cause is never found. Different viruses can set it off. Chemo can put your system out of whack enough to set it off too.

My lipase is really high. 366, when it is supposed to be between 22-50. My amylase is also high. It is 161 and should be 25-125. With pancreatic cancer those numbers are often elevated, and pain often occurs. So this was a big scare - it could have gone either way. Cancer or pancreatitis.

Over three weeks ago I got some really odd virus which caused a rash and blistering on my hands, severe fatigue and awful joint pains - that has finally gotten better just this week. It may be what triggered it. Or I may have had it much longer than that. A lot of my complaints of chest pain might have been pancreatitis. It is so hard to separate it all out. I had extreme heartburn (never really had troubles before chemo), which was controlled at first by omeprazole. It got worse and they doubled my dose and that took care of it. But eventually it didn't work to take care of the pain. This might be when the pancreatitis flared - and that would mean I've had it for a few months. Last week was the worst as far as the pain - strong enough to stop me in my tracks. I have a very high pain threshhold, but I'm getting tired of all the pain, and am just plain old tired from not being able to sleep well with this.

It is quite painful, but I can deal with that. It is not cancer! My oncologist tried to set up an appointment with my GI Dr. But he has no openings till July. They were told I need to get in ASAP, so they checked all other GI doctors. June 22 was the first opening - that won't do. So now I am going to my primary clinic, to a doctor I've never seen before this afternoon. I have really bad luck with holiday weekends, so I thought it best to get in and see someone now.

I have a feeling they are going to refer me to the GI doctor, or send me to the hospital. I'm not sure if the primary can/will do much for me. But at least I'm trying to get something done. Left untreated chronic pancreatitis can lead to pancreatic cancer. I don't want to be going down that route!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Finally the answers
    I had a CT scan Tuesday, and it showed NO MASS! So I am officially NED!!! The enlargement and activity in my pancreas and duodonem seen on the PET was inflammation due to pancreatitis - not a malignant mass. WOOOHOOO! I know it is odd to celebrate pancreatitis, but I am.

The biggest cause of pancreatitis is alcoholism. That isn't an issue for me. In the last 8 months I had 2 half glasses of wine, and one Margarita.

In 30% of cases of pancreatitis the cause is never found. Different viruses can set it off. Chemo can put your system out of whack enough to set it off too.

My lipase is really high. 366, when it is supposed to be between 22-50. My amylase is also high. It is 161 and should be 25-125. With pancreatic cancer those numbers are often elevated, and pain often occurs. So this was a big scare - it could have gone either way. Cancer or pancreatitis.

Over three weeks ago I got some really odd virus which caused a rash and blistering on my hands, severe fatigue and awful joint pains - that has finally gotten better just this week. It may be what triggered it. Or I may have had it much longer than that. A lot of my complaints of chest pain might have been pancreatitis. It is so hard to separate it all out. I had extreme heartburn (never really had troubles before chemo), which was controlled at first by omeprazole. It got worse and they doubled my dose and that took care of it. But eventually it didn't work to take care of the pain. This might be when the pancreatitis flared - and that would mean I've had it for a few months. Last week was the worst as far as the pain - strong enough to stop me in my tracks. I have a very high pain threshhold, but I'm getting tired of all the pain, and am just plain old tired from not being able to sleep well with this.

It is quite painful, but I can deal with that. It is not cancer! My oncologist tried to set up an appointment with my GI Dr. But he has no openings till July. They were told I need to get in ASAP, so they checked all other GI doctors. June 22 was the first opening - that won't do. So now I am going to my primary clinic, to a doctor I've never seen before this afternoon. I have really bad luck with holiday weekends, so I thought it best to get in and see someone now.

I have a feeling they are going to refer me to the GI doctor, or send me to the hospital. I'm not sure if the primary can/will do much for me. But at least I'm trying to get something done. Left untreated chronic pancreatitis can lead to pancreatic cancer. I don't want to be going down that route!

good news, bad news!
    I know you are relieved to have the good news! I sure hope someone is able to resolve this for you soon! Sounds like you've been battling these issues for a while and for sure dealing with pain and not sleeping can wear on a body! Hopefully the primary can prescribe something that can get you some relief until you can get in to see a GI. Are you on the waiting/call list at the GI offices in case of cancellations? I know way back in 2004 before diagnosis I had been referred to GI for a consult and had been scheduled in October. When they called back and moved me up to a few weeks away I should have gotten a clue! :) But just shows that when they figure it to be serious, there are ways to get in sooner.
    mary
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options

Finally the answers

Kathryn,
    I bet you feel

Kathryn,

I bet you feel relieved that you are NED! I am so happy for you (+ sorry you have been in pain + have had this worry. Take good care!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options

Finally the answers

NED!
    Kathryn,

It's wonderful news that you are officially NED and that the lit up area on the pancreas was due to inflammation. No fun to have pancreatitis but, as you said, it's much better than pancreatic cancer. You take care and yay for the NED!!!

Lisa
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Finally the answers

Congratulations
    on being NED! hope the pancreatitis clears up soon and you start feeling better.
    ~Aud
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options

Finally the answers

Congrats on NED!
    and bummer on pancreatis. Thank you again for such an informative update. I keep wishing for peace and quite for your life after all that's gone on. I still keep hoping for that for you. Meanwhile I gain much inspiration from your tenaciousness, though who ever wishes that they will gain such things from such a difficult path. As they say in Mexico; "Asi es"

all the best, Leslie