Grandchildren

Options
Eltina21
Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello again. My name is Karen. I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 02/10. I had a sigmoid colon resection on March 24th, 2010. I am now undergoing chemotherapy, for of the 8 lymph nodes removed, one was positive. My daughter and my grandsons live with me. Their ages are 6 years and 7 months. I explained to my oldest grandson that this treatment is to make me feel better. Since he was my first grandchild, we did a lot of things together, such as going to the movies, amusement parks, puppet shows, church, gardening, etc. Right now, I am not as active, but I do watch him play his video games and we read together. My problem is that he is worrying himself silly. He has started acting up in school and he gets up in the middle of the night and comes to my room to make sure that I am there. I told him that I am going to see him graduate from college. It just breaks my heart to see him worry. I always smile, I put on my make up daily and try to make everything the same, any suggestions are welcomed.

Comments

• iluvmms
    iluvmms Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh.....thats a hard one.
    ohhhhh.....thats a hard one. Maybe someone with younger children will be able to help you. My son was 19 when i was dx, so a little different.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
    christy
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry!
    I also don't have the experience of the younguns, my youngest was 17 when I was diagnosed. I do have a grandchild, she's 20 months, much too young to know what's going on, even though she was with me daily during some hard times I had last year. They don't live close enough for me to spend nearly enough time with her! I am sure some of the ones on here with experience will offer some advice, I just wanted to tell you how it makes my heart glad to think of the time you get to spend with your grandchildren! They are gaining such wonderful experiences from time spent with you, even the tough times!
    mary
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Suggestion
    Hi
    There is a lot of info on this CSN site about how to talk with children, explore the links on the left. There is a also a bookstore if you go to the links on the left. There is one book for kids that may be particularly helpful, show my colors, it is actually about a boy whose grandmother has cancer. I think it costs about $11.
    Pam
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    PamPam2 said:

Suggestion
    Hi
    There is a lot of info on this CSN site about how to talk with children, explore the links on the left. There is a also a bookstore if you go to the links on the left. There is one book for kids that may be particularly helpful, show my colors, it is actually about a boy whose grandmother has cancer. I think it costs about $11.
    Pam

Hi
    I don't think my 11 grand kids know I have cancer, they just want to see my owies. The nine year old, says things at times, like I feel sorry for you Nana, look at your tummy,yeah I took her in a dressing room with me once. I told don't worry, I'm okay. tickle, tickle.... I just walk the talk! lol
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    honest but positive
    I told my 5 grandkids that I could die from this crap from the beginning. I also told them that their mean old grandpa was too damn mean to let cancer get him with out one hell of a fight. They like to get things straight up from me. I never lie to them.

The 3 youngest germ bucket girls were here last weekend. I showed them the port that I had removed. The 10 year old was fascinated with it. The 8 year old freaked out when she picked it up from my desk and I told her what it was. The little 5 year old could have cared less. I hate to admit this but, she gets anything she wants from me. The 2 grandsons are 16 and 14. They got a little worried when I lost 30 pounds. They now take pride that MOG is winning the battle.

I think it is very important to be honest but positive with them.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did
    My oldest grandson was 5 when I was diagnosed, and I'm the daily caregiver for all 3 of them. Owen was very worried when I first got sick, especially since his grandfather on his dad's side had died of colon cancer just a couple of months before that. The thing that helped the most I think was to keep the dialog open. When he had questions, I always answered them in ways I thought he could understand. He and his siblings have also gone with me to have my blood tests, and that gives me a chance to say that it checked out great, and I'm doing fine.

*hugs*
    Gail