My Dad so far

Fiddles
Fiddles Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi there I'm one of your newest members.

About 2 years ago my father was having problems swallowing, he weighed 220lbs, he's now 140lbs. Everyone told him to see the Doctor he refused, and he would be (P, off) at Mom if she threaten to say something. Well Thanksgiving Day he was out having dinner with my Brother and his family and Dad started to choke - finally he said something to the doctor. He sent him a another Dr. for a scope - within a couple of days Dad was booked to see a Dr at the cancer clinic close to where they live. The Dr. told Dad he wasn't a candidate for surgery and he was at stage 3, about all he could do is give him about 5 extra years to live, and give him some quality of life.

By Jan 6, this year Dad started treatments. First starting with 3 separate days of Bracytherapy sorry for my spelling. Then they started him on I think the end of February with chemo and external radiation. My Dad is 81 years of age and told he has a 16 centimeter group of tumors . Although he had 3 days of chemo the first 3 days of radiation and the last 3 days of radiation he didn't have any side effects that most have. I could believe it and neither could the doctors. However that being said he had a (H) of a time the last day of radiation and chemo.

March 24th was his last treatment day after having 5 weeks of radiation and the 6 days of chemo spread out. He ended up not being able to eat and lost a lot of his weight. He became dehydrated and got a yeast infection in his throat, got so confused and agitated I took him to ER and sat for 9 hours waiting for a doctor to see him. Turned out he was dehydrated had a yeast infection and also a touch of pneumonia. They refused to keep him in hospital for fear he came down with a super bug. So Mom and I took him back home. My Mother is totally exhausted.....

Over the last few weeks since he's gone from bad to not too bad to bad again. He's been complaining about burning in his sternum area, and is becoming short of breath too. I managed to get him into see the family doctor today who sent him for a chest xray to rule of pneumonia. Dad thinks the burning is the radiation still working - or worse the cancer is getting worse instead of better. He's not eating enough for a mouse to survive and losing weight like crazy. The Radiation Dr. wants him back in July for a CT scan and for him to gain at least 5 extra pounds - yeah ok!

Is it normal to have pain for this long after?

Could it be the cancer is coming back more aggressive?

Could the yeast infection cause the burning in his sternum?

Thanks,
Fiddles

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Welcome
    Hi Fiddles and welcome. I agree with William, a second opinion is definitely in order. Immediately! The university of Pittsburgh has an excellent reputation. Dr. L is highly rated and one of the best. July is way to long to wait for a ct scan. The burning could be from radiation treatments, but who wants to play this guessing game? Go to someone who specializes in this cancer. I also agree with dad getting the j tube. It is the only way he is going to be able to get the nutrition he desperately needs at this time. God bless you at this difficult time. We will be thinking and praying for you. Keep in touch. Peace.
    Tina