Avastin

Options
kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello to my favorite ladies!

I haven't updated lately, so thought I would check in. I just had another PET/CT to see if I qualify for avastin. I have been on doxil since September, and then doxil/carbo for 3 cycles, and it is holding the cancer at bay but not putting me into remission. Been doing a lot of processing about that, but that is a story for another day, I think.

I might be going on avastin, maybe with cytoxan? For those of you that have had this combo, what kind of side effects did you have?

My tumors tested very well for the avastin, I hope that my tumors are not too big to do this drug, and I have not been able to find the info stating if there is a cut off for tumor size or if it is just the doctor's call.

I welcome any input or info on avastin given with another chemo.

More later,
Kathleen:)

Comments

• Disneynutt
    Disneynutt Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathleen
    I am currently on Avastin and another drug related to Taxol but I forgot the name. I have only had 1 infusion but the side effects I experienced were fatigue, swollen gums and tongue (in fact it felt like somebody sandpapered my tongue) and a bit of a headache. All the pains were alleviated by simple OTC pain killers like Alleve so it wasn't too bad actually. But that was it. It was the first time I have ever experienced fatigue and I didn't like it one bit. I would say that was the worst effect for me.

I wish you well on your new treatment. GOOD LUCK!!!

-Kate
  • Kgirl
    Kgirl Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Avastin and Cytoxan combo
    Kathleen,

I started oral cytoxan and avastin iabout two months ago. I am having problems with my blood pressure and some protein spilling in my urine (proteinuria) which are side effects of avastin. Both side effects have been manageable. I have started on a blood pressure medication.
    You will have to drink lots of water to avoid bladder and kidney toxicity with the oral cytoxan. Overall, I like this regimen. I am only going in once every two weeks for my 1/2 hour infusion. It almost feels like a break from chemotherapy! I hope you have great results with this. I am hoping to stay on this for a long time.

Kathy (also a Kathleen)
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Worked Well
    Hi Kathleen, I know I shared with you already how this combo kicked my cancer back in 2006. I ached from the cytoxan, and had the bad headaches and highblood pressure from avastin but rode them out. I don't think the size of the tumors matter as avatin goes after the blood vessels and starves them. When I was on it many of my tumors back then were killed off. Hugs Bonnie
  • marilyng6789314
    marilyng6789314 Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Hi Kathleen,

I have been on Avastin\Carboplaten and Avastin\Doxil for 13 cycles and just now feeling the toxic effects - high protein counts, shallow breathing, lack of appetite. I have one small cyst left that is taking its good time to succumb to either Doxil or Avastin. But because of the recent side effects, they have suspended Avastin.

My last PET scan showed only the one cyst that was shrinking, but my CA125 is rising - now at 533.

Drink lots of water for hydration. I use Drip Drop for hydration powder. Keep up the exercise.

Good luck to you!

Marilyn