Sugar Levels

Options
Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
All of a sudden my sugar levels are high. Never had a problem with this before. I was just wondering if this was some kind of side affect.

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    during chemo it could be the
    during chemo it could be the decadron otherwise ?????
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    sugar levels
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer 24 months ago and after about 18 months, I was then diagnosed with diabetes. I wonder about the connection, also. And my thyroid is enlarged with 2 nodules. Let us know if they say there is a connection.
  • Kat11
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

sugar levels
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer 24 months ago and after about 18 months, I was then diagnosed with diabetes. I wonder about the connection, also. And my thyroid is enlarged with 2 nodules. Let us know if they say there is a connection.

I will lizzie. I have been
    I will lizzie. I have been done with chemo since November. I am on herceptin and Tomaxifen, but I have not read any thing connecting this to sugar levels.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Kat.........
    My glucose levels run high now, too. And I developed a hyperactive thyroid and the onc and endocrinologist think that's directly related to the chemo.

I just said to a Dr. recently, that I THOUGHT that I would finish treatment for cancer & then move on. He smiled, shook his head & said..."that rarely happens". So, I think many of these other diseases/illnesses often follow chemo/rads. We just don't hear about it...

CR
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Hey
    I have only had 1 treatment CT but my sugar was high for a day or 2. The nurse in the infusion room told me that the steroid would cause it to go up. Hope this helps some God Bless
  • Kat11
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Kat.........
    My glucose levels run high now, too. And I developed a hyperactive thyroid and the onc and endocrinologist think that's directly related to the chemo.

I just said to a Dr. recently, that I THOUGHT that I would finish treatment for cancer & then move on. He smiled, shook his head & said..."that rarely happens". So, I think many of these other diseases/illnesses often follow chemo/rads. We just don't hear about it...

CR

Thanks CR, My regular doctor
    Thanks CR, My regular doctor always makes it sound like it's my fault. Don't eat right, over weight, ect. I was all this before cancer and did not have the problems I have now. Never ending battle. Thanks
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Thanks CR, My regular doctor
    Thanks CR, My regular doctor always makes it sound like it's my fault. Don't eat right, over weight, ect. I was all this before cancer and did not have the problems I have now. Never ending battle. Thanks

Nope Kat......
    A never ending battle, it seems.

CR
  • Kat11
    Options

Hey
    I have only had 1 treatment CT but my sugar was high for a day or 2. The nurse in the infusion room told me that the steroid would cause it to go up. Hope this helps some God Bless

Boppy
    Thanks but I am done with treatment except Herceptin and Tomaxifen.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Boppy
    Thanks but I am done with treatment except Herceptin and Tomaxifen.

I've had diabetes for over
    I've had diabetes for over 15 years and am now on insulin. I've noticed that my sugar levels go up after my chemo treatment. I asked if the steroid caused it and one tech said no. But it happens every time so I asked again and this time a different one said it probably is the steroid, but it usually only lasts a day. I get it back under control quickly so I'm not too worried about the steroid. You might want to have it checked out to make sure you don't have another problem going on.