Ca125 results--going down

Options
bravely2
bravely2 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I have Stage IV diagnosed 3/19/10, being treated in NY Sloan Kettering. Too advanced to debulk initially, had 3rd chemo carbo/Taxtere today, allergic to taxol at 2nd chemo. I am 55 y/o and never had any other health issues except overweight and hypertension.

Baseline CA125=2628
After 1st chemo= 575
After 2nd chemo= 146
My oncologist was very happy with the 1st chemo's result at our appt today, I was so surprised by todays result. I am hoping this means a lot less tumor load.

I will have another CT scan in 2 weeks to see if surgery will be then, or after 3 more chemos.

I am so encouraged by this. I have been so cautious to think I might possibly have any kind of luck with Stage IV. I know statistics are showing everyone in their reports, but all of that is still so disheartening.
Do these results seem good?
Thanks loads for being such caring and giving women. I am so glad to have found you--
Rose

Comments

• leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A Rose by any other name is still not a statistic
    Hi Rose!

Your numbers are really dropping honey, that's a GREAT thing, and they've dropped a lot with no surgery!! Something we all keep in mind as we read statistics, is the percentage of women who BEAT the odds. You're not a statistic, you are a person and your attitude impacts your health. I'm 46 and was diagnosed at IIIC and my doctor, who certainly knows the stats, wrote CURE as the goal for my care plan, so, that's what I focus on, not the stats. Another thing to think about, those five year survival stats are based on what was going on five years ago. Every day, brings us closer to something new and different. (Avastin for instance).

I'm sorry that you are here, but I'm glad that you found this board. The women here have been my sanity savers on more than one occasion!

HUGS!

Leesa
  • katie.bug
    katie.bug Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Stage IV
    I was diagnosed last year with ovarian cancer stage 4b and I'm cancer free right now, so please hold onto every hope that you can be cancer free and keep fighting. I think your results sound awesome!
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hi Rose
    You have had a great result from your chemo.

Sorry you have stage IV, you are like me. I am 50 and have always been healthy & fit. I have stage IV but mine is Primary Peritoneal Cancer. It is very rare but it is treated the same as OVCA because it is the same tissue as the ovaries and responds the same using the same chemo.

Be encouraged by your results - it shows your body is able to respond to the chemo and can fight the cancer. Don't take any notice of the statistics - I once looked at them & became very depressed. We are all very different people with the ability to tolerate chemo. The surgery and chemo will give you a massive chance. Feel positive, everything is good so far & will continue to be so :)

Tina xx
  • Tina Brown
    Options
    katie.bug said:

Stage IV
    I was diagnosed last year with ovarian cancer stage 4b and I'm cancer free right now, so please hold onto every hope that you can be cancer free and keep fighting. I think your results sound awesome!

Hi Katie.bug
    This is such encouraging news. I've never heard of stage 4b? Did you have surgery? What caused it to be classed as 4b?
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Great News
    Hi Rose and welcome to the board. That is amazing results .. many congratulations and prayers that the trend continues for you. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • bravely2
    bravely2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank You!
    I feel so much better today, and even w/ the post chemo fun starting. My Dr says that as successive treatments are given, you feel a bit more crappy. Just have to keep your eye on the prize!!
    Rose
  • katie.bug
    katie.bug Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi Katie.bug
    This is such encouraging news. I've never heard of stage 4b? Did you have surgery? What caused it to be classed as 4b?

4b
    Hello

the size of the mass on my ovary was why it was classified 4b. It was like the size of a softball i guess. Plus the cancer had invaded my uterus. I would have never known except for all the fluid build up which caused my stomach to become distended and I went to the dr to find out why and i was told i had a mass on my ovary

Yes I had surgery..and the oncologist was able to get out 99% of the cancer. Six rounds of chemo six weeks after surgery.

I am very blessed to have a wonderful talented oncologist.
  • Tina Brown
    Options
    katie.bug said:

4b
    Hello

the size of the mass on my ovary was why it was classified 4b. It was like the size of a softball i guess. Plus the cancer had invaded my uterus. I would have never known except for all the fluid build up which caused my stomach to become distended and I went to the dr to find out why and i was told i had a mass on my ovary

Yes I had surgery..and the oncologist was able to get out 99% of the cancer. Six rounds of chemo six weeks after surgery.

I am very blessed to have a wonderful talented oncologist.

Wow Katie.bug
    I know that when a cancer is classed as stage IV it has spread somewhere else. So yours went to your uterus. It is such good news that the surgery got 99% of it :) I am stage IV too with PPC and malignant fluid around my lungs. I think the cancer cells in my peritoneum spread to the lining of my lungs so that is why I am stage IV.

I have had a very positive result from my 6 rounds of chemo that I may be able to go a while before I need any more treatment.

Tina xx