Prayers for my dad

unclaw2002
unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
As many of you know my 78 year old Dad is stage three and just finishing up his radiation and second round of chemo. A couple of weeks ago his stent fell into his stomach and he ended up dehydrated and weak before going to the hospital to ahve surgery to remove the stent --- good news his tumor had shrunk so much the stent fell in. Well he had surgery and was very week but began gaining his strength and after our visit he had really turned a corner and was well on the road to recovery and being able to get around. Now he is really weak and felling very discouraged because he was just starting to feel better and even considering going for the MIE.

He ended up back in the hospital on Sunday in alot of pain and unable to eat --- yes the stent fell in again. So what they failed to do during the last surgery they will do this time and insert a J-tube when they take the stent out. Thank God they are not going to put another stent in. Please pray for him we are all worried because he is so weak he can't even stand up right now and is in so much pain. I am worried that he might not survive this second surgery in less than 30 days. But, even though I am worried I am anxious that they do the surgery by tomorrow afternoon so that he can begin getting some nutrition. Any advise on dealing with a J-tube that I can pass along to my mom would be appreciated. Guess I need to take Kitten's advice and get those dancing shoes out right about now and pull up those big girl panties.

Thanks to everyone,
Cindy

Comments

• Lylesmyprince
    Lylesmyprince Member Posts: 130
    I'm sorry to hear the news
    I'm sorry to hear the news about your dad and his weakness. I am lifting him up to God right now as I type this.

Here is a hug full of love,
    Susie
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599

I'm sorry to hear the news
    I'm sorry to hear the news about your dad and his weakness. I am lifting him up to God right now as I type this.

Here is a hug full of love,
    Susie

Susie,
    Thank you so much ---

Susie,

Thank you so much --- it really seems we both have been through so much this last month with our loved ones.

Hugs for you too --- prayers that Lyle and Dad get a few breaks soon.

Cindy
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member

Susie,
    Thank you so much ---

Susie,

Thank you so much --- it really seems we both have been through so much this last month with our loved ones.

Hugs for you too --- prayers that Lyle and Dad get a few breaks soon.

Cindy

Cindy prayers coming
    Hi Cindy,
    Sorry your Dad is having so much trouble. My dr would not put a stent in and I wound up with an NG tube before surgery and the j tube for 3 months after. Don't be afraid of the j tube as far as nutrition goes it is the best way to get it in when you cannot swallow enough to gain weight and will build him up for surgery hopefully. The main thing is to follow the nurses instructions, they usually let you have a home care nurse come several times a week till you get acclimated to the feedings. It is not hard if everyone helps and you remember to keep up your flushes and get hydration in. The bags are easy to fill and it depends on whether he goes on night feedings or 24/7. As you encounter questions just ask, David White is on this board and he has had one for several years and was a big help to me, just mark your message jtube questions. Good luck and hope your Dad gets his strength back soon. take care,
    Donna70
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    much love and prayers for you & dad
    Cindy,
    Wow---he has been through a lot---such and emotional roller coaster! Like Donna said---don't worry about the J-tube---they showed my mom how to do it and she never had a nurse at home. She just followed their instructions---he had night feedings for a while after surgery. She kept her hands clean, the openings clean, kept it flushed and he never had an infection or problem. He needs the nutrition to be able to build his strength. In the meantime---all you love & prayers (& our prayers too) will help him too.

much love and prayers for you & dad
    Kim
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Many Prayers
    Hi Cindy
    I will be praying for your dad and all of you in the family that things go well, and that Dad is able to regain his strength and move on. Congratulations on the tumor shrinking! I agree with the others to just keep up with the instructions and follow them. Best of luck. Hugs to all. Keep in touch.
    Tina