chest drain

Options
eward
eward Member Posts: 210
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My mom is one year into her stage 4 primary peritoneal cancer. She has had a recurrence and has had 2 chest drains since starting doxil. Has anyone had a permanent drain "installed" and how has that gone? We are wondering if that is next for her.

Wishing all of you a good day.

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    PRAYERS & HUGS
    While I can't answer your question, I'm sure you will get responses from someone who is familiar with this.

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for your mom AND you. Please keep us posted.

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hello Eward
    I am so sorry your mum has fluid on her lungs. I do know what that is like but mine was only a temporary measure. Can I ask why she diagnosed stage IV? I wish all of the very best to both you & your mum and please let us know how she is with the permanant drain in place.

Lots of love Tina xxx
  • eward
    eward Member Posts: 210
    Options

Hello Eward
    I am so sorry your mum has fluid on her lungs. I do know what that is like but mine was only a temporary measure. Can I ask why she diagnosed stage IV? I wish all of the very best to both you & your mum and please let us know how she is with the permanant drain in place.

Lots of love Tina xxx

chest drain
    My mom was diagnosed as stage IV because the fluid in her lungs that was drained at diagnosis last year contained cancerous cells. She went about a year without fluid problems, but with this recurrence, the fluid has been returning. She had her right lung drained twice in the past month and now the left one will be drained tomorrow. It is not clear yet if/when they will have a permanent drain. I will let you know what happens. She is on Doxil this time - last time was taxotere and carbo. Taxotere and carbo worked, but not for long enough since recurrence was at her 3 mo. post chemo check up. CAT scan is only showing some enlarged lymph nodes on her chest.

Thanks for your support. Hope you are doing well since you finished your own chemo.

XO Eileen
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    eward said:

chest drain
    My mom was diagnosed as stage IV because the fluid in her lungs that was drained at diagnosis last year contained cancerous cells. She went about a year without fluid problems, but with this recurrence, the fluid has been returning. She had her right lung drained twice in the past month and now the left one will be drained tomorrow. It is not clear yet if/when they will have a permanent drain. I will let you know what happens. She is on Doxil this time - last time was taxotere and carbo. Taxotere and carbo worked, but not for long enough since recurrence was at her 3 mo. post chemo check up. CAT scan is only showing some enlarged lymph nodes on her chest.

Thanks for your support. Hope you are doing well since you finished your own chemo.

XO Eileen

Plueradesis
    This is exactly the same as me. I had "malignant cells" in the fluid they drained from my lungs. In total I have had 1 drain in my left lung and 3 in my right. The doctor put "talc" in my right lung on the second drain - it is called plueradesis. This sticks the lining together so fluid can't get in there. Have they mentioned this procedure to your mum?

The talc thing is a very sucessful procedure as it stops the fluid from going around the lungs.

I am doing good thank-you. When I had the talc procedure there was a tiny bit that didn't seal completely and a bit of fluid got trapped there. It is a very small amount and doesn't bother me. However when I go for my appointment in June I will be asking about it.

Take care and keep us posted about your mum, Tina xx