Relay for Life...anyone else do it this year?

Sam726
Sam726 Member Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Wow....we kicked butt! My team raised $11,400!! It was our first year...and it was so much fun! My team was a group of girls that worked so hard and were so dedicated. It made me tear up seeing how hard they worked and how selfless they are! Our relay was 6pm - 6am...were were exhausted but had a great time! Cant wait til next year. Anyone else do relay?

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Our Relay isn't until July~
    Our Relay isn't until July~ we camp out and do the entire 24 hours...it starts at 9AM and concludes the next morning at 9AM. It is always so awesome! The Teams decorate their booths and their tents to fit the Relay theme of the year. There is a talent show, a bbq, a huge Survivor's Tent with fresh fruit, pastries, juice and water. All of the suriviors sign a quilt, which then hangs someplace I can't remember! LOL There is even a tent with half a dozen rocking chairs, so that those survivors among us who aren't physically up to it can Rock The Laps! There are even 2 or 3 massage therapists who donate their time...ahhhhhh!
    Fantastic Sams gives free haircuts to those donating to Locks of Love, and at midnight, Dominoes Pizza makes a gigantic delivery. Fun Fun Fun....

Of course the Luminarias are the (literal) highlight, aren't they? I get choked up just thinking about them and how inspiring and touching they are.

I do "cheat" a bit during the Relay, I must admit. After we have dinner, Reggie and I drive over to his sisters house. She lives about 5 miles or so from the site. I take my toiletries and nice clean jammies and shower and wash my hair! Then, all clean and hopefully sweet-smelling, we head back to the Relay to do a few more laps in the dark before we curl up in our tents. I like to look out and watch the midnight shift, and hear the whispering and giggles of the Relayers.

I know now that you have tasted the Relay for Life, you will go again, and again, and again. At least until that day that all of us go to celebrate that a Cure has been found, and worldwide, ACS will host the biggest party ever imagined!

I'm so glad you experienced it and had such a wonderful time!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    I'm slow
    I just learned about our Relay for Life coming up this Friday. Somehow, it just slipped below my radar . . . :(

Anyway, I'm signed up now, and so is another friend who is a survivor, as well as many other friends of mine--who signed up long ago and have been raising funds left & right! Currently, my church's team is in the lead for fund-raising.

It will be really interesting for me to go to my first Relay for Life.

Congratulations on a fantastic job, Sam726--your team Rocks!

Sandy
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    I will be doing our Relay for Life this Friday. We start at 6:00 pm and go all night until 10:00 am on Saturday. I've never done the relay before and I'm a little nervous. It will also be the 1st anniversary of my mastectomy so it seems quite symbolic for me. I'm hoping to just have a ton of fun and that I won't just be an emotional wreck the whole time.

I won't be alone - my husband is also on my team and our daughter and her fellow senior class members have a team of 50 kids! It should be a great time.
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    I'm doing the Relay in June - the 18th and 19th. Can't wait for the experience. Our team from church is in tune with BC now that I and another gal have been busy with treatments for the past 6 months... Glad it was such a wonderful experience for you!
    Beth
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Ours is next month, in June, but this Thursday is our Survivor's Dinner at the local Catholic High School. I am bringing another survivor with me as my guest, as my Mom, who was my caregiver, is back home now. I don't know if I'm up to staying all night, but I am looking forward to the survivor's lap. I am not physically able to do the whole lap, but will do what I can. Wish we had the rocking chair thing like Chen's does!!! My BFF up in New York is having theirs this weekend, in College Point.

Hugs - Pat
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    That is amazing! How many
    That is amazing! How many were on your team? Glad you had so much fun! I've never done the relay, just the Komen 5k twice and I have done a walk for lymphoma and lukemia. I wish I could raise money for all the bc and other cancer walks but I had to just choose one and since I did Komen before I got cancer, I stuck with it!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    i am
    I am doing relay june 5 - june 6 10am - 10am.. My second year, awesome experience.. We have 2 teams in both in honor of me... go TEAM E....

That's awesome you were able to raise so much money, congrats!!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    I did
    it,Sam! It was a blast!Wow,you guys raised a lot-that's wonderful!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    chenheart said:

Our Relay isn't until July~
    Our Relay isn't until July~ we camp out and do the entire 24 hours...it starts at 9AM and concludes the next morning at 9AM. It is always so awesome! The Teams decorate their booths and their tents to fit the Relay theme of the year. There is a talent show, a bbq, a huge Survivor's Tent with fresh fruit, pastries, juice and water. All of the suriviors sign a quilt, which then hangs someplace I can't remember! LOL There is even a tent with half a dozen rocking chairs, so that those survivors among us who aren't physically up to it can Rock The Laps! There are even 2 or 3 massage therapists who donate their time...ahhhhhh!
    Fantastic Sams gives free haircuts to those donating to Locks of Love, and at midnight, Dominoes Pizza makes a gigantic delivery. Fun Fun Fun....

Of course the Luminarias are the (literal) highlight, aren't they? I get choked up just thinking about them and how inspiring and touching they are.

I do "cheat" a bit during the Relay, I must admit. After we have dinner, Reggie and I drive over to his sisters house. She lives about 5 miles or so from the site. I take my toiletries and nice clean jammies and shower and wash my hair! Then, all clean and hopefully sweet-smelling, we head back to the Relay to do a few more laps in the dark before we curl up in our tents. I like to look out and watch the midnight shift, and hear the whispering and giggles of the Relayers.

I know now that you have tasted the Relay for Life, you will go again, and again, and again. At least until that day that all of us go to celebrate that a Cure has been found, and worldwide, ACS will host the biggest party ever imagined!

I'm so glad you experienced it and had such a wonderful time!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

That sounds like
    a great time Chen!
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    Go Relay!
    I'm on the planning committee for our Relay (June 11-12) and though I've attended 2 years, this will be my first year in the Survivor Lap. I'm sure there will be tears, but also many smiles! We also have a Torch of Hope. In the past, one survivor was chosen to carry the torch one lap while a beautiful poem is read. This year, survivors on the planning committee are doing an actual relay with the torch - one will begin, meet up with another, those two will meet the third, etc. Should be impressive.
    I agree with Chen - once you go, you'll be hooked.
    -rainbow4