Start AC chemo on 5/20/10.....scared....help me

Options
2»

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Options

AC CHEMO advice thanks xoxox
    Thank you all so much for the advice. I try so hard to act like I am not scared to my family and my kids. It is only to you ladies that I can be honest...cuz you all know what I am thinking and going to go thru soon.

I will be drinking 2 or 3 that are 34.oz a piece before chemo and after..I drink at least that now or more, so the drinking water will not be hard for me to do. I went and got lots of hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes, Lysol ( my neighbor and I do a quick cleanse of the house the night before Chemo. I bought yogurt, gram-crackers, jello, pudding, protein shakes and carnation instant breakfast mix.

I am going to stop by Sonic on the way to chemo and get a Route 44 oz glass cup of ice to chew on during chemo. (they have the best ice ever, for those of you who have a Sonic).

What is the best thing to eat before going to chemo, like toast and peanut butter or a bagel and cream cheese, that is what I was thinking? How about drinking coffee morning of chemo, I LOVE COFFEE!! I don't think I can got with out at least one big a&& cup.

Thank you again for all the great advice, I wish I could meet some of you wonderful ladies for lunch one day. Anyone live in the DFW area on this site?

Jen (3 days to chemo)

Good luck
    Good luck with your treatment, I will be thinking about you. Let us know how everything goes
  • bambaloos
    bambaloos Member Posts: 1
    Options
    On same treatment
    I have just finished 12 x weekly Taxol and have had one dose of A/C and Neulesta shot. The Taxol was much easier for me, numbness in the fingers/toes was the worse with Taxol.

My advice for A/C - is to drink loads of water prior and after treatment. Munch on ice chips when they are giving you the "A" - it helps to keep the mouth sores away. Try and get a prescription for emend (anti nausea) - it really is the best out there, but it is expensive if you do not have insurance. I have not had alot of nausea with A/C - my appitite is very low and I am super tired all the time. My iron levels are low, so I am trying to eat stuff that is high in iron.

The Neulesta shot - I would suggest taking one Claritin the day before chemo for at least 4 days, it seems to help with the bone pain that you get with the shot. I checked with my ONC, and he said it was ok. I opted to have my shot in the stomach (it was not uncomfortable) as it is suppose to be less painful than the arm.

My hair started falling out on A/C around days 14-15. I managed to keep quite a bit of hair on Taxol - it just thinned out alot.

I wish you all the best of luck with your chemo - I know it is not easy, but it is doable!
    Mandy
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had 4 rounds of AC with
    I had 4 rounds of AC with Cytoxin. I remember being nauseated, but the anti-nausea meds they gave me worked great.

I didn't do Taxol, but Taxotere.

You'll know your hair is going to fall out because your scalp will hurt. Mine hurt on Thursday, and my hair started falling out Sunday, then I think a week later, it all just came out at once in the shower. I had shaved it off to about an inch.

I have a photo of myself shaving my hair on my page. We had a little shaving party, but I was the only one that got shaved! LOL!